Jennifer's birth story!

1. So it's been a crazy week for the SO and I. I had my 36 week appointment on Wednesday the 22nd. My bp had spiked to an all time high once I arrived into the office. 180/120. And then my doctor said I no longer had PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension), but instead I had pre-eclampsia with protein in my urine.

He told me that he wanted me to go straight to the hospital to deliver and not wait until the 30th to get induced, and that it was dangerous to my health.

I was very excited and nervous, because I didn't have my bag packed or any of that ready. So my mother and I headed to the hospital (SO was still at work). They tested my blood and urine, but at the hospital it came out negative for pre-e.. which was a little strange, but my bps were still high up. So the doc on call agreed to induce me that night.

SO arrived at the hospital at 6 pm, and they set us up in a birthing room. They induced me with Pitocin, and started the contractions out gradually. They felt like period cramps at first with a dull lower backache, which I felt were bearable, and it continued throughout the night, and I probably got about an hour and half's worth of sleep. Then at about 8 in the morning, I felt a gush of fluid leak down my leg and onto the bed. I rang the nurse and she said it looked like my water broke! So I went into the bathroom and cleaned myself up and she helped me put on those giant pads and hospital underwear.. which felt so comfortable. And then I soaked through it again, because apparently I hadn't finished breaking my water. By this time I was already 3 cm dilated.

So the day went on, and I just laid there in bed because they didn't want me to have an active birth due to my high bp. The contractions got worse and more intense, and SO held my hand as I breathed through them. By this time, my nurse offered me the epidural which I was reluctant at first, but then I agreed because its suppose to lower your bp.

Thank goodness for the epidural, because I must admit that it was still painful.

Here is the scary most unforgettable part of the birth:

When it was time to push, our baby's heart rate kept dropping and going up, and finally after about 30 minutes of pushing, my doctor told me I had two choices: c-section, or episiotomy with the use of forceps. I didn't really like either and wanted to keep pushing, but she noticed that the baby's heart rate went down and didn't go up this time, and she immediately called for an episiotomy and snipped me right away. Even with the epidural, I could feel her cutting away, and I yelped in pain. She told me push as hard as I possibly could and finally our little boy came out into the world.... not breathing! I looked up and saw his mouth open a little, and then all of a sudden the NICU team comes running in and about 6 other nurses in after them and they are all hovering around my baby trying to get him to breathe. I was freaking out and in tears, and my doctor almost forgot to stitch me up because she wanted to make sure the baby was okay. I begged and begged the nurses to tell me what's going on.. and they give you the standard.. "the doctors are doing the best they can, we'll tell you what's going when we find out". I was devastated and I was looking at my mom and SO, and SO was just as horrified as I was and my mom was in tears too.

They placed a breathing tube down his throat and let me kiss him for a second and whisked him away to the NICU. He was born on Aug 23, 2007 at 8:37 pm, 18.5 inches long, 4 lbs 6 ounces.

They put an IV though his belly for fluids and the breathing tube was kept there. By around 3 am, a doctor came in and told me he is stable and that he wanted to breathe on his own, and that so far he looks okay. I was so relieved. I finally got to see my baby at 5 am because I was bound to my room because of the epidural.

Here is a picture of our baby, Nicholas!

He is doing much better, no more feeding IVs, or breathing tubes. He is eating so much formula, and I'm pumping like crazy to build up my supply. We should be able to take him in a couple of weeks, and we are so looking forward to it. I'm so glad it ended well.:heart:

DSC00207.jpg
  2. Congratulations!! The last part must have been scary....SOOOO glad everything went well.

:heart:

Your son looks beautiful!

3. He's so sweet. I'm so glad everything is OK. Congratulations.:heart:

4. Glad to hear he is doing better! Congrats on your little miracle, he is precious!

5. Oh Jen-
    My gosh! I had the shpilkes reading your birth story, I was so nervous. I"m so very glad Baby Nicholas is okay. His hair is gorgeous. Mazal TOV! :yahoo::heart::heart:
    I can't wait to see the pics when you are both home and relaxed!

:dothewave:

6. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

7. what a sweetheart! Congrats and I am so glad everything turned out okay.

8. OMG! I am so glad both of you are doing well. That must have been terrifying.

9. so glad it went well in the end - i really felt for you, how scary. i had to have a c-section after over 12 hours of labour and my baby was so stuck they had to pull and push from all sides and I could feel it. so scary, especially when you dont know what is happening. big hugs - your baby is beautiful.

10. I am so sorry for your ordeal (I am currently having difficulty w/ swelling and fear what has happened to you) I am so GLAD that all is well with you and your baby boy! CONGRATS!!!!!!! a hundred times over! Thank God you bothare alright! (((Hugs)))!

11. Oh Congrats~~!! That was definitely an exciting story! Phiewww! I'm glad to hear mums and son are doing well!
    Rest up... you'll need it for the first few sleepness months. :heart:

*remember to use bpa-free bottles....

12. Congratulations! I am glad that you all made it okay. Nicholas is beautiful!!! My daughter was 5 pounds when she was born but caught up really quickly to her peers and I am sure Nicholas will too.

Keep us posted and take care of yourself too!

13. Jenn-Congrats!! My DD has the same birthday as Nicholas. She also came into the world under duress, but as you will shortly see, these babies turn out the strongest. Enjoy him and give him a few extra kisses tonight. I wish him a lifetime of happiness and health....

14. Congrats on your new arrival - am so relieved for you that all turned out ok, what a scary experience for you!

15. Oh Jen, I am so sorry that you had that scare! I can't imagine what it was like for you!! **Hugs**

But I am so happy that he's fine now! I will keep you guys in my prayers, and Especially that handsome boy of yours!!

congratulations, and I hope you have a quick and easy recovery! Take care of yourself!!