Jemima Khan Calls The Cops - & You know Hugh - To Help Find Her $2,000 Cat

1. [​IMG] Anxious abot her pet: Jemima Khan

Emergency: policewomen and Hugh Grant swing into action to find the highly priced cat

Khan has put up copies of this poster around her neighbourhood

In normal circumstances, a missing cat would not be considered a police priority.

But when the cat in question is of the expensive Bengal variety, it seems the matter is more significant.
    Especially when the owner happens to be Jemima Khan.

The pet was one of two Bengals given to Miss Khan by her on-off boyfriend Hugh Grant. The 33-year-old heiress was said to be distraught when both cats went missing in mysterious circumstances last week.

Although one of the prized, £900 creatures has been located, Miss Khan rang the police on Monday afternoon after being unable to locate its sibling.

Within 24 hours, two female Metropolitan police officers turned up at Miss Khan's London home to investigate the case, giving it priority status on the basis that the missing Bengal was "high-value property". Helped by the 46-year-old Grant, police searched high and low for the wayward pet, but to no avail. The Notting Hill star eventually left the house looking rather weary and dispirited.

With no evidence to suggest that the animal's disappearance was suspicious - despite high levels of black-market Bengal trading - the police say they are unlikely to invest further resources on the case.
    Miss Khan and Grant, who are rumoured to have got engaged since apparently splitting in February, are understandably distressed about the missing animal. They have put up posters offering a £100 reward in the hope of getting it back.

While officers were quick to respond to Miss Khan's missing pet, they appear less keen to do so on the rather less trivial matter of burglaries.
    Indeed, six months ago it emerged that the Met is refusing to send officers to break-ins if the suspect has already fled the scene. Instead, they now dispatch only civilian "scenes of crime" staff to examine the burglary for evidence.
    A Scotland Yard spokesman defended the police's rather enthusiastic response to Miss Khan's distress call.
    "A call was logged on the 18th June but police officers did not attend the address until the 19th," he said.
    "It was not treated as a 999 call, but because of the high value of the missing property - a Bengal cat is not your average cat - we feel that the response was perfectly normal and proportionate to the value.

2. looks like a little tiger to me!!!
  3. Omg
  4. Oh my I would be worried sick! Hope she finds the cat.
  5. Hope she finds her beautiful cat.
  6. hope she finds her furry baby ...:tup:

maybe i should pretend my kittie disappeared so that i can call Hugh:heart: for help and "accidentally" make him find her and then shower him with kisses :crybaby:( being so grateful of course :graucho: )
  7. I'd be very worried if something happened to my cat - Bengal or not. I hope the poor little kitty makes it home safe and sound.
  8. It's beautiful. I would of done the same thing.
  9. Poor little kitty. I hope he finds his way home.

I thought they broke up though.
  10. The cat costs $2K; her rewards should be more than $2K, not $100 GBP.
  11. Those are the prettiest kitties...hope she finds them.
  12. Wow those are beautiful cats!

I thought Hugh & Jemima broke up and he was dating Kim Hersov??
  13. I hate hearing about animals being lost, I hope it finds its way home safe and sound.
  14. I heard she received a ransom note. I will look for the article.
  15. Catnapped! The evil truth about this shocking trade

By TOM RAWSTORNE for the Dailymail

Dawn breaks over a town in Lancashire and the early morning silence is shattered by a ringing phone in the home of Gail Potts. The 56-year-old grabs the receiver and listens carefully. "If you want to see your cat again, then you'd better do exactly what I tell you," a voice growls.

Fast forward a couple of days and here's Mrs Potts again. A distance from her house, along a deserted road, she stands alone, clutching a bulging brown envelope in her sweating palm.

A car screeches up and within seconds the exchange has taken place - one cat for £1,000. In notes. "I know it's a lot of money," Mrs Potts said, recalling her ordeal. "But this wasn't any normal cat. This was Maximus. He's special. He's a Bengal cat."

No run-of-the-mill cat, the Bengal. Known as "living-room leopards", these carefully bred felines are descended from wild Asian cats. Their most distinctive feature is their exotically marked coat - the sort of spots and stripes seen in the jungle. They are said to be highly intelligent, doglike in personality and to make great pets.

So it is that in these image-conscious times the Bengal cat has become the must-have pet of the 21st century. The first one arrived in Britain in 1991, but today there are more than 30,000 across the country. Costs vary according to their pedigree: the cheapest starts at £500, while the most expensive, a cat named Zeus, is said to have fetched a six-figure sum.

A lot of money for a mouse-catcher, but then the sort of people who own them are generally more interested in form than function and aren't short of a bob - think Sophie Dahl, Jonathan Ross and the Sultan of Brunei.

With such a profile, it's hardly surprising that Bengals are so highly coveted - by cat fanciers and catnappers. Such is their desirability that owners are being advised that they let them out of their sight (or, heaven forbid, outside at all) at their peril - something heiress Jemima Khan discovered recently.

Her two £900 Bengal cats, gifts from her on-off boyfriend Hugh Grant, vanished from her London home last week. Although one returned, there has been no sign of the other, prompting Miss Khan to call police to help with the hunt. She fears it may be dead.

To the surprise of many ordinary London residents (burglary victims, for example, who have waited days for a detective to visit them), the Metropolitan Police duly sent two female officers to her home. "Because of the high value of the missing property, we felt the response was perfectly normal and proportionate," a Scotland Yard spokesman later explained.
    But if police were always as quick off the mark as the Met when it came to dealing with missing moggies, then human crime would never get dealt with. Nationally, it is estimated that 3,200 cats disappear every week. Of these, 1,200 are involved in road accidents. And the rest?

Sheena Seagrave works for the Missing Pets Bureau, an organisation dedicated to reuniting owners with their animals. Most, she says, will have wandered off, got locked in a shed or found an alternative bed or bowl of milk for a night or two. Most, that is, but not all. Particularly when it comes to this new generation of exotic cats.

"We are searching for 120 Bengals in the UK," says Mrs Seagrave. "It is impossible to say what has happened to all of them, but we are seeing an increase in the number of cats such as Bengals being stolen.

"We have had reports of these high-value cats being catnapped and have seen CCTV footage of them being bundled into the back of cars. We've also received reports of break-ins where the only thing taken has been the cat.

"On average, we manage to return to their owners 80per cent of animals that go missing. Yet for Bengals and other exotic cats, that figure is not so high. This suggests that once they are taken, something more sinister is going on."

So, a black market in Bengals! Perhaps it was inevitable when these beasts fetch such handsome prices, but it means that owning one has become a hazardous business. To understand the desirability of Bengals, it is first necessary to understand something of the breed.