I've lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks. Here's how.....

1. Diet and exercise. How shocking, right?:roflmfao:

I have always been different levels of chubby. A tiny bit chubby all the way to mega-chubby almost obese. Losing weight has always been so hard for me because I love food and hate exercise. I do not eat emotionally, I eat because I love the taste, smell, texture, etc. And unfortunately for me, the foods I love the most are all very carb-y.

I have done all of the unhealthy things. Diet pills made me feel like I was on the verge of a heart attack, so I couldn't take them long enough for them to help. Slim Fast made me gain weight. Crash dieting worked but was miserable and I gained it all back every time. An all liquid diet of V-8, water and multivitamins made me lose a ton of weight a few years ago but messed up my digestive system for almost a year.

So, about 6 weeks ago, I decided to do the one thing I had never really committed to: a healthy weight loss plan. I have been basically doing the same thing every single day and the weight has been just dropping off!

I have a 3/4 cup bowl of a healthy cereal with 2% milk for breakfast. I like cheerios, life, shredded wheat, etc. I always measure it so I know I have the portion that is listed on the side of the box.

Lunch is a small salad with fat free dressing and a piece of fruit, or a grilled chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato and fat free ranch dressing.

Dinner is steamed vegetables (I buy the frozen Steam Fresh ones that take 5 min. in the microwave, I love them!) and some kind of meat. I'll have chicken, fish or beef and keep the portion size equal to the size of the palm of my hand. For dessert, I have fat free jello or jello pudding with lite whipped topping.

All through the day I drink tons of water and iced tea with splenda. I pee about a million times a day it seems but I feel so much better since I have been more hydrated. I also take a vitamin and calcium pill every day.

I walk on my treadmill for 30-40 minutes every single day. I walk on the "fat burn" setting which is a very fast pace and I use the ski bars to work out my arms while walking. I adjust the incline throughout my workout so it gets harder and easier at intervals. After I'm done with the treadmill, I work my arms with a 5 lb dumbell for about 15 min.

This is all very boring and not the most fun in the world, but it WORKS and I have never felt better.

2. Congrats! The best way is always a lifestyle change, not a crash diet!

You may be feeling more hungry because you seem to be low carb- are you getting any carbs for dinner? Maybe try a complex carb :tup:

3. congrats, thats really fabulous!

love the title of the post btw- I really though I was about to open up some wacky diet pill thread or something :p

4. I'm jealous... My diet starts today!!! I need to lose a few xtra lbs myself :sad:

5. Congrats!!!

I have been on a “diet” too (well I like to call it a lifestyle change for the better) for 3 weeks now. I am pretty much doing the same thing as you. I am really watching my portion controls (by measuring), choosing healthier foods and of course exercising daily at the gym on the treadmill or elliptical. I actually feel great. In the past I did the crash diet which always led me to bingeing eventually. Right now I really have no temptations to binge or eat any of the crap foods I loved to eat. I have been eating smaller portions more frequently which has left me feeling full. I think my stomach has shrunk a little bit too because sometimes it seems like the smaller portions are too much. I snack on fruits and veggies, which I really never gave a chance in the past and was really missing out on. Even though it has been only 3 weeks for me I feel already a huge difference. I have lost about 5lbs, which isn’t a huge loss but enough to keep me encouraged to keep going at it. Reading your story helps a lot too!

Once again, congrats and I wish you more continued success!

6. Congratulations!! Excellent results.

7. That's awesome, LoriB! Congrats!

8. Congrats LoriB..

you don't know how motivating you are to me.I gained 20lbs between last summer and early spring..and haven't lose a bit despite the pilates , yoga classes at the gym...and hiking I started to do in MArch..I got so discourage that I have gave up everything ..gym, excercise classes.. and it is august..and none of my summer clothes fit..I managed to get a few newer clothes in my new bigger size but felt miserable..
    I think I am going to give it another shot..so off today to powercut class at the gym..:flowers:

Can you recommend a fat free sweet dressing? Where can I find good salad recipes?:smile:

9. Congrats LoriB!!

10. Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make it clear that I do not love dieting (lifestyle changes) and exercise. Some people love it, I do not. But I DO love how healthy I feel, the weight that I've lost, I'm sleeping better, my blood pressure has gone down, clothes fit better, people keep telling me how good I look, my 6 yr old says I am less grumpy (HA!) so on and so on. The rewards are just too many to count. But I will never love measuring my food or exercising. Never. I don't really love flossing for gyno exams either, but I do them, so I am looking at it like that. Necessary for a long healthy life.

I think one of the reasons I have responded so well to this routine is that I went from NO exercise whatsoever and a complete junk diet to this new routine. I probaby ate fast food 2-3 times a week and had whatever I wanted every day. IHOP stuffed french toast with whipped cream, DQ Blizzards, cheeseburgers, you name it. I ate total junk and sat on my butt all day at the office and most of the time at home. House cleaning and yard work were my only acitivity.

Megs..I did leave something out. I do have some rice or pasta side dish about 3 times a week with my dinner. I have noticed that if I don't do that, something just feels missing and my energy lags. Thanks for pointing that out!

Don't give up you guys! When you find the right combo of food/activity that your body responds to, it will work and you will be so glad you didn't give up.

I don't really use sweet dressings, I just use fat free italian and ranch. You should google this and the salad recipes, there should be tons of options.

11. Congrats on the weightloss!

12. Congrats, i'm trying to lose weight at the moment. I always do well for about 3 weeks then have a curry one weekend with copious amounts of alcohol and put it back on again.
    Think the trick is to get into an exercise habit, i've never been able to do this. Think I need to get a treadmill or something, if I had it setup in front of my tv i'd have no excuse.

13. That is fantastic, Lori! Good for you. btw-that is the best avatar ever.

14. Congrats! Keep up the good work! I truly believe that healthy, common sense eating and exercise are the keys for long-term weight loss.

15. Wonderful Lori...Totally congrats to you. What are you using for an exercise machine? Wondering do you go to a club or work out at home???