I've had diarrhea for nearly a week...Don't read if easily grossed out!

1. I've been trying to get a doctors appointment for a few days, but they're all booked up and haven't had a chance to pencil me in...they said maybe wednesday or tuesday?

So...I've had diarrhea + loose stool pretty much everyday since last Sunday. :tdown: I went out to eat with my family on Sunday at this restaurant in town and had pork medalions and a salad. The stomach gurgles started pretty much a few minutes after I took the first bite. I had to use the restroom about 2 hours after we got home from the restaurant and it's continued since then.

I think there was a day in between where I had a normal BM, but the majority of the time I've got diarrhea. I'm fine in the morning before I eat something and after breakfast (usually cereal or oatmeal), but after lunch time things start to get hairy.

If I don't eat, I don't have to go to the bathroom, but if I do - my stomach gurgles like something crazy and I've got to go to the bathroom 1 or 2 times after eating.

I've lost a few pounds (maybe 2 or 3??) since having this, but I'm trying my best to keep my water intake up...I'm drinking around 1.5 - 2 liters a day.

I tried pepto bismol, and it just made my poo turn black...hasn't really helped with the consistency.

I also haven't had a fever.

What do you guys think? Food poisoning?? My cousin also had diarrhea for 2 days after eating in the restaurant, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the food :sad:

I've never been to the doc. for diarrhea before so I'm not really sure what to expect...

In general, I feel fine though. Have some mild stomach aches, but nothing bad or painful...no fever either.

Any tips on what to do until I get a doc. appointment??

2. Don't worry, diarrhea doesn't gross me out at all. So, it started after you had that dinner at the restaurant? And your cousin had it too? Could be from the food, perhaps the restaurant didn't cook the food properly, it's possible to make your stomach upset. I know what it's like to have your stomach gurgles all the time, it's like you have all sorts of gas inside. It's good if you can gas around, but if it's stuck oh boy the feeling is bleecchh.

I always take Norit everytime I suspect food poisoning. I dunno if it's the same as pepto bismol as I never heard of this pepto thing, but Norit is basically useful to take out any toxin from your stomach. It's pretty light and you gotta take a few capsules.

There's also another medicine that I take in case of diarrhea, it's called Imodium. Over here is available w/o prescription, but I dunno over there. It's pretty good, has worked a lot of times for me.

3. keep up your water intake until you see the doc.
    don't dehydrate. drink things with electrolytes

4. Yeah, food poisoning probably. Pork if not cook well could be dangerous. I usually get diarrhea when I eat something bad, Dh vomits like crazy. We both ate spinachs at this korean restaurant once, there was e-coli everywhere and we got sick, he threw up almost everyday for a week like up to four times a day I just got diarrhea for about two days. It depens of your inmune system.

I think its better if you dont take anything like pepto, a week seems to long iMO and I hope you see a doctor soon. Not fever its a good sign, your body is cleaning up and there is no virus, maybe a little bacteria.

Just keep eating soft foods and drink a lot of water and electrolytes so you dont dehydrate. But dont take pepto, just let everything come out, KWIM?? Look at the birght side.. 3 lbs lost.!! j/k Julia's mama... I hope you feel better soon. Hugs

5. I had something like this last summer for about a week, and then it went away on its own. Not pleasant! I think going to the Dr is a good idea, just in case it's some sort of parasite that the body won't take care of on its own.

6. I had bad diarrhea for like a week once. It wouldn't go away and if I took like two sips of water and ate half a banana I'd still have the runs all day long. I'd take Pepto and it would hardly phase me. Finally I went to the walk-in clinic. They took blood and said I had a bacterial infection. They put me on antibiotics and antispasmodics and almost immediately I started feeling better.

7. I've had crazy, watery diarrhea lasting for 5-7 days a couple of times in my life, and usually it goes away by itself. It's exactly like how you describe it--as soon as you start eating, your stomach starts gurgling like crazy and you run to the bathroom!! Just make sure you eat light and drink lots of water. If nothing hurts and you don't feel ill, then you are fine. You probably just ate something bad.

8. Thanks for all of your help guys! :smile:

It's 10.30 am right now where I live and I'm feeling somewhat better today. I hope that this feeling lasts all day :biggrin:

9. Ewww you're so gross! hehe kidding.

Keep hydrated(duh!), its sounds pretty much like food poisoning to me, especially if your cousin is also experiencing the same thing. The same thing happens to me when I eat at Panda Express:hs:. I think its something they started to put in their food recently, it never used to happen:shrugs:

10. food poising shouldnt last that long. you may have colitis. (usually stressed based.) you may have gotten food poisoning at first, then it escalated to a whole extended problem. It has happened to my friend before, he went to the hospital for a few days and was on fluids. it also happens to animals a lot. you eat something that upsets your digestional tract and there ya go. when my friend got it a bunch of our friends dared him to eat a lot of this super spicy "death sauce" (thats the actual name of the hot sauce.) they put only 2 drops in their hot wings sauce(the resturaunt) and the wings were crazy hot, my bf had one and was sweating and he kissed me 2 hrs later and my lips started burning...the friend ate a chicken wing totally DRENCHED in the stuff!

obviously ask your dr. hope they can get you in. but thats kind of what i think it is.

good luck!

11. Hmmm, I'm not thinking it's colitis since I've got pretty much none of the symptoms that I read about...no fever, no pain, no blood in stool, etc.

I'm honestly thinking it's a bacteria infection from poorly prepared / kept meat and poor hygiene on the part of the kitchen staff who prepared my food.

I'm going to call tomorrow afternoon when I get home from classes and see if they can squeeze me in...this is starting to get annoying! My poor bottom hurts, lol

12. I hope you're feeling better by now. I know when I had that infection it was like the worst diarrhea I've had in my life and it lasted well over a week.

13. Are you feeling better now?

14. Yep, thanks you guys :smile:

I went to the doctor on Monday and she checked me out...Gave her a list of everything that I had eaten on the day that I got sick and she knew right away what it was....I wasn't the only one who had been in her office with the same symptoms from the same restaurant!!

The pork (I usually don't eat pork, but this restaurant didn't have any beef or veg. options!) that I ate was either held at an improper temperature, cooked improperly or was handled by someone improperly - leading all of us to first get food poisoning and then bacterial infections.

I can go to the bathroom normally now, but I am HUNGRY. After a week of nearly eating nothing I feel like I have to make up for lost time and am practically shoving everything in my face that I see!! lol

Edit: When I went to the doctor on Monday afternoon, I hadn't had diarrhea that day so I already thought things were getting better. Just in case, she gave me some pills to take in case it comes back or in case I get it again :smile:

15. your doc should've gotten a sample and test it for some kind of bacterial infections... like c.diff or something...