1. so i wanted to start my very own thread. i searched once but came up blank. i have an IUD. i love it, it is my favourite invention in the entire world, i am baby free until it expires in 2012 (and by then i hope to decide to start a family of my own) and it is more effective than traditional birth control, more effective than tubal ligation and completely reverseable.

there are hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs (most notably the Mirena & ParaGard). i have done tons of research into IUDs before picking the mirena, i have stopped menstruating (which is a big plus for me, i had horrible periods), i don't have to remember about taking pills, shots, and the amount of hormones that i get are minimal. so this is for women with an iuD, considering one...

it is also one of the few birth control methods available for breast feeding women (iirc)

2. I have a couple friends who use IUDs and they are really happy with them!!
  3. I have IUD (Mirena) and I just love it! I had all kind of problems with pills but now I´m so pleased. I have recommended it to my friends as well.
  4. yeah i never reallllllly had a BC problem until i switched pills (even though i'd been on it once before a long time ago and it was just a UK version of my US pill) and it was terrible, i had just the worst reaction and i switched to the Mirena right away. i've had it since april and i love it so much! plus even though i know HBC pills are very effective...i just was never content in my head, i always worried at the end of every month no matter what. now my mind is at ease and i am happy. i recommend it to everyone too!!
  5. I have an IUD(Paragard) and I love it!

I've had horrible reactions to the pill before too. A few years ago I was on Ortho Tri-cyclin. It gave me the worst headaches and made me very dizzy.

I just had my first baby 6 months ago. Dh and I have no intention of having anymore kids so the IUD is perfect for us and I love the fact that it lasts for 10 years.
  6. i seriously contemplated the paragard but i've had really REALLY heavy and painful periods my entire life (the whole reason i went on BC [age age 11.5] was because my periods were so heavy and irregular that it was unhealthy) so while i am hopeful that my body has learned to regulate itself..the possibility of heavier periods just seemed like torture! i am so happy to not have my periods. i do wish the mirena lasted for 10 years like the paragard but in 5 years i'll be 28 and i want to start a family then so 5 years sounds perfect for the moment!!
  7. I've had the mirena for a little over 2 years. I, too, suffered from heavy periods and bloating every month and I could never find the right pill. I totally recommend the mirena. I still have a small period, but it is NOTHING like it was before the mirena. Plus I love that I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday.
  8. I've got Mirena too- haven't had a single period for the past two and a half years- it's been great!

This may be a TMI question, but has anyone had one removed? I've got an appointment in two weeks to have it taken out (time for next kid, nothing wrong with the Mirena!) but I'm a little paranoid- will it hurt?
  9. My doctor told me that it shouldn´t really hurt. You may feel little something but you can take some painkiller before your appointment to prevent it.
  10. i've heard varying reports in terms of pain, but it isn't supposed to be as painful coming out as it was going in...if that's any consolation!

11. That's good, because I barely felt anything when my doctor put it in! I'm going to cross my fingers and take some pain medication beforehand just in case.
  12. I have had my mirena for a little over 5 years. I'm putting off having it replaced because I'm scared sh%*less! It hurt like bloody murder going in and I don't know how I can take it again, coming out and in.
  13. i know exactly how you feel zophie, the pain was unbelievable!!! i was holding onto the receptionist's hand for dear life! but i think i am an IUD convert for life!
  14. Hey sara999

Sorry to ask a personal question and just tell me to piss off if you don't want to answer, but since the IUD has stopped your period, do you still get the symptoms (ie. bloating, PMS, sore boobs) throughout the cycle, just without the period itself?
  15. ..and re: the pain factor, why does it hurt so much? Does it scrape or something...?