item not received..what to do next?

1. hi guys

i wanted some advice. i won a pair of shoes for about $500 on eBay, and they were shipped out of the UK on March 23rd via Royal Mail International Signed For. The seller said it should take about 5 days to reach the US. I wanted the shoes for an event next weekend. Well, here it is, more than 2 weeks later, and the shoes have not arrived. When I enter the tracking number into the Royal Mail website, it says:
    Your item, posted on 23/03/07 with reference RI949066038GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Well, when I called Royal Mail, they said the package has been in Dallas since March 24th, and they have no further information because they cannot track it after it has entered the US, but USPS should have information. Well, I called USPS and they dont even have any record of it in their system.
    :sad:

I'm not sure what to do next. I really wanted the shoes, but if they are not here by next weekend, it was kind of pointless for me to buy them. How much longer should I wait before asking for a refund? Does anybody know who the package gets passed onto once it enters the US?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!!

2. I never buy from overseas for this reason (any others).

You really can not control the mail delivery systems, especially between countries. Then you have customs thrown into all that.

Its just not reliable when one is needing the item by a certain time, ya know?

I dont have any real advice. I hope you get it soon!!!

3. go ahead and file w/ eBay and Paypal:yes:
    You can always close the dispute if you get them in a few days.

4. That's strange that they can't track it still - I live in Canada, and I've always been able to cross check on both USPS and our Canada Post site. If it's not a courier service, USPS should be the one that handles it.

It could be a customs delay if the shoes are valued at $500. It may be being inspected and assessed for tax.

It's a tough call - I'm so used to border delays even when I pay for express, and have had packages take around 3 weeks. That's usually when I'll file a claim. In terms of a refund, I think it's reasonable if it's actually lost, but if it's just that the event has passed, I don't think that's a fair reason.

5. Sometimes items do get held up in customs and at this moment it is really unfair to hold the seller responsible for something completely out of her control. I would contact her and ask her to file a claim to speed things up.
    I know it's a difficult situation, but I'm sure your shoes will arrive soon.

6. thanks for the advice guys! the seller cannot file a claim until 25 days has passed, as per Royal Mail rules. i guess i should wait until then...fortunately, the seller has been very nice and helpful.

ive learned my lesson never to buy from overseas!

7. I've been lucky with my overseas purchases (knock wood) and nothing has ever been held in customs. But I've heard of things getting stuck in customs for anywhere in the range of 4-6 weeks, especially the high end items.

8. and theres no way of knowing that ur item is stuck in customs, correct? if they tax u when its in customs, how do they get u the bill?

9. Depends on how detailed the tracking is - services like FedEx/DHL will scan it and show that it's in customs, but that's because they have their own brokers. If it goes through USPS, it's hard to tell. For customs, I get a bill stuck onto the package, and you have to pay when you go pick it up - they won't give you your package otherwise.

10. WOw... that's exactly why I avoid buying items from across the pond. I want my items quickly without a hitch!

11. Oh no, this sounds like a customs delay to me. I buy and sell Internationally and think I must have been very lucky so far, but customs is definitely the most unpredictable element in the transaction. Can you contact customs directly? I know we can in the UK although it can take an age to find the right person in the right department . . .

12. ok so update...today, the item has showed up on the USPS website :woohoo:
    this is what it says:
    Label/Receipt Number: RI94 9066 038G B

Your item arrived at 6:56 AM on April 9, 2007 in HOUSTON, TX 77002. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

im guessing that it should be delivered soon..its being delivered to my office, but is under my boyfriends name (since i used his eBay account). my boyfriend doesnt work at my office, but ive informed the mail department about this package. HOPEFULLY, it will be delivered w/o a hitch. if i have to pay customs, im wondering if hes the one whos gonna have to go to the post office to pick it up. god, i hope not!!!

13. congrats :nuts:

that's great news, keeping my fingers crossed for you that you won't have to pay

14. phew! great that the package has turned up. hopefully it'll reach your hands real soon!

15. If it's been that long, I'd file a claim w/ Paypal and Ebay