IT bag bubble NYTimes article

Who is this woman? What kind of journalist uses the word 'hot' and talks about people being 'kind of behind'?!

The journalist did not say that, the journalist was quoting:

Lauren Goodman, the fashion director of Domino magazine.

no reason to be offended here. she never said that it was ugly, she just said that there are people buying it simply because they think its a hot item (aka "it" bag) and that fashion moves so fast that there is no such thing as keeping up; by default you are behind. i think the part the author(s) of this article are not taking into consideration is the people buying these bags because they believe they're classic and beautiful. When you buy a bag for that reason, and not simply because its the "it" bag, you'll never go out of style :tup:

With respect, I understand that you are giving her the benefit of the doubt and trying to smooth the waters, but frankly, I don't think she deserves it! :nogood:

I can't see anything in what she was quoted as saying (below) that infers that 'there is no such thing as keeping up; by default you are behind'; all she seems to be saying is that anyone who still carries, or buys, a bag from last year is out of touch and/or behind the times:

“Some people still carry the Muse,” she said of another YSL style. “They think the Muse is hot, because they’re kind of behind.”

By saying this, she is inferring that the only reason for buying a new bag is to appear 'in', that there are no aesthetic, practical, or emotional considerations. That bag buying is merely an exercise in shallow fashion and/or financial status exhibition.

Great to know that such a visionary is working in the industry! :rolleyes: If everyone was like her, we wouldn't need designers; everyone could just buy a paper bag with the date and 'I cost $1,200' (or whatever) written on it, every season! :lol:

I don't own a Muse and in fact, last year, when people on here were asking whether it was a classic, I was one of the only ones to say I didn't think it was, because almost nothing is and it has a flared shape and that isn't always considered 'in', so eventually, it would inevitably look 'out' (although, I didn't mean by one year later! :rolleyes: ).

But if I owned a Muse and cared about her opinion, I would be pretty offended by her comment, as she, very clearly, is saying that anyone who 'still' likes it is lagging behind the times, or fashion backward, if you like; that, to me, is a definite attempt at an insult. :yes:

Of course, I agree that one would be wise to take the insult from whence it came and not take it to heart, but still...

The journalist did not say that, the journalist was quoting:

Lauren Goodman, the fashion director of Domino magazine.

Yes, I know. :yes:

By 'journalist' I meant the fashion director (over here journalist is a general title for one who works in journalism [including fashion journalism], as well as a specific job title).

I used the title 'journalist', as opposed to 'fashion director', as I assume that to work in that position, she would have had to have been trained in journalism originally and if so, that she didn't sound very journalistic. :smile:

My husband left this article for me on the breakfast table this morning. Interesting.

What this editor is missing is that women who have careers, families, etc. -- as opposed to ladies who are chauffer driven to lunch at Barneys each day -- have precious little time to keep up-to-the-minute on fashion. I barely have time these day to buy the necessities I need, and only find time to read fashion mags on weekend (although this is more for work than play). And, frankly, if I had extra time, I don't think I'd spend it trying to acquire the latest looks for each and every season. There's simply better things I'd do with my time and money.

From a PR/marekting perspective: Who the hell does Domino think its demographic is exactly? The editor's arrogant stance is confusing. I'm sure Domino's suits are elated that their editor was featured as an expert in the prestigious NY Times Style Section (there's no better press for a magazine than this >> mag positioned as an expert + NY Times = big validation for a fairly new mag). But, the mag's publicist need to keep this editor's smug in check as Domino is definitively NOT Women's Wear Daily, Vogue or Town and Country.

The It bag phenomenon will only end when we, the consumers, decide it's time. I personally haven't ever bought an It bag, mostly due to finances and also becaue my taste is classic as opposed to trendy. But over time, some It items become classics - for example, the Hermes Birkin. An extreme case, but still valid I think. Now the Birkin is classic, as is the Hermes Kelly.

Fascinating - isn't it? I am not slowing down my purchase of bags. If anything I will probably buy more. Will I get sated? Probably. I get sated with all my obsessive pursuits over time. But I have always been a purse lover and I always will be. I have just morphed into more of a collector. I cannot possibly impress too many people out here in the midwest suburbs with my purses. Mostly the other housewives are stunned that I have given myself permission to spend big bucks on frivolous items. Only starlets and top industry stylists can win at the "it" game since money is no object there. They are given free bags. It is all about publicity to drive the business.

Having said all this stuff recently about fashion not being a contest, I have to admit to a definite snobbery on my part. I am not going to admit which bags I now consider to be inferior. I am too ashamed to. I use to own them....

Fascinating - isn't it? I am not slowing down my purchase of bags. If anything I will probably buy more. Will I get sated? Probably. I get sated with all my obsessive pursuits over time. But I have always been a purse lover and I always will be. I have just morphed into more of a collector. I cannot possibly impress too many people out here in the midwest suburbs with my purses. Mostly the other housewives are stunned that I have given myself permission to spend big bucks on frivolous items. Only starlets and top industry stylists can win at the "it" game since money is no object there. They are given free bags. It is all about publicity to drive the business.

Having said all this stuff recently about fashion not being a contest, I have to admit to a definite snobbery on my part. I am not going to admit which bags I now consider to be inferior. I am too ashamed to. I use to own them....

:lol: There's one I bought and sold that was a purely status-based impulse buy.

That bag had absolutely no reference/harmony with my personal style. LOL! I was just temporarily possessed or something, I guess.:shrugs::P

I also agree with the green highlighted. So true!:yes:

Agree that the comments about the Muse were a bit harsh. But then, fashion's never been a field that's known for its sensitive, caring views. It tends to be a bit superior in its views of "the common people", no?

Just more proof that buying bags to garner someone else's approval won't work. I think the win-win solution is to find the cute bag from a designer that no one knows about, then you have people asking where you got it, so its a conversation starter. Plus, its original - you're always ahead of the curve! As a bonus, most of the time, they tend to be less costly than the "it" bag (but not always).

some interesting points here....

BUT

1. The luxury goods market will *always* have buyers. Period.

2. Her comment about the (ysl) Muse I thought was stupid. So what if it's not the current IT bag at this point?
Now, it's 3 years after she said that. The Muse is still being made, sold, carried, and although I personally don't carry it, I still think it's hot. The IT bag status doesn't make it hot, it's just a great bag!

:noggin:

What an extremely old and interesting thread... Thank you Bellemichke for unearthing it, but I also think this thread is not what you are looking for, you might be better off in the Chanel subforum?

This quote is ridiculous:

“Some people still carry the Muse,” she said of another YSL style. “They think the Muse is hot, because they’re kind of behind.” Lauren Goodman, fashion director of Donimo Magazine.

I wonder if Lauren Goodman might rethink her opinion of the Muse now in 2010.