Is this a common problem? Help allay the fears of an MJ newb...

1. I've seen a couple of threads here about studs and grommets falling off of MJ bags. It seems like it's the studs that are attached where the handles meet the body are most often mentioned. I even saw a couple of MJ bags with missing studs or grommets on eBay. Does this happen a lot? Also, is Marc Jacobs good about repairs if it does happen? I am sorry for all the questions. I just have new bag anxiety, I guess... :sweatdrop:

2. I've owned 8-10 MJ bags in my lifetime, and I've always found the quality to be outstanding. Never had a single problem. :shrugs:

p.s.--Actually, I'm editing to add one flaw I can think of. Several years ago I owned a few of MJ's "vegetable tanned" leather bags that seemed very susceptible to water spotting in the rain. But now, many MJ bags are quilted or a different kind of treated leather, so I don't think that would be so much of an issue.

3. Thanks for your input. I am probably just worrying too much. My first MJ bag is coming tomorrow, and I want it to be perfect!

4. ^^^What are you getting???

5. The Classic Hobo in Cocoa that's currently on sale on Bloomies' website. I love those zippers across the front. :heart:

6. How exciting! Definitely post pics when you get it.

7. Cute bag! Can't wait to see it. From the looks of it, you shouldn't have any problems with it.... no grommets on it. Bloomies should be able to repair the bag if there are any problems, otherwise you can contact the MJ website directly and they'll refer you where to go and get free repairs.

8. ^^ Thanks for the information. It does have studs on each side of the zippers and little metal eyelets on the holes on the adjustable strap. Those were what was making me concerned. I feel better now though. You guys have been so helpful. I'll be sure to post some pics sometime tomorrow!

9. Congrats on your new bag, can't wait to see pics! I've owned MJ bags for a few years now and have not experienced many problems at all. The only thing I did experience was the problem you mentioned about the studs/grommets falling off of my Signature Quilted Bowler from the same line as the Irina bag. That line however, seemed to have extra flimsy construction. My future SIL also has an Irina and she's so paranoid about her handle falling off, she's thinking of returning it!! Please don't let this affect your love for MJ bags, I haven't!

10. I know exactly what bag you're talking about. The handles on it don't look like they're attached securely at all. It almost looks like there are only a couple of stitches and studs holding them on!

11. I've never had any problems with my MJ bags. I read somewhere in this subforum that there is a facility in NJ where they send the bags to repair that does an amazing job.

Enjoy your new bag!

12. ^ Yup, Moda Express. I've heard good things about them.