Is there some kind of cheerleader scandal going on that I don't know about?

1. I'm taking a break from homework, and I'm changing the channels and I got to CNN.

All I heard was that something went on involving South Carolina cheerleaders, and it got so bad that the principal has resigned.

I do a search for it and can't find anything.

Does anyone know what's going on?

2. This happened a couple of weeks ago. I think it might have been mentioned on Oprah.
    The principal was the mother of one of the cheerleaders & she let them get away with anything they wanted. They ran the school, didn't show up for classes, etc.
    Finally it caught up with them & the mother!

3. This just happened. It is different from the cheerleading scandal in Texas. I saw it on Fox, so try their website.

4. I didn't realize the principal had resigned; I read that she had been arrested and charged with obstruction of justice. She told the cheerleaders (her daughter was one) not to speak to the police. For several years the girls "ran" things; defied teachers, the coach (who allegedly bought alcohol for the girls), and anyone who got in their way ("Mean Girls"?). When the behavior was reported, the principal ignored it. The coach went public and the cover-up began. It was in Newsweek not that long ago, too. Some town in the columbia, SC area, I believe.

5. Yeah..the cheerleaders were apparently "in charge" of the school and even some of the teachers were even intimidated by them, from what I heard.

6. There are 2 cheerleading scandals. One of the scandals just broke today and it is not about the cheerleaders in Texas.

7. wow, its like a real life teen movie!

8. Didn't the cheerleaders in TX happen in the early 90's. I think the one mother is out of prison already.

9. I remember that story Vegas. Holly Hunter played the mother in a movie about it. From what I recall, one mother hired a hit man, I think, to kill another mother and her cheerleader daughter. That was after the daughter of the person (played by Holly Hunter) was not chosen for the squad.

10. no, that yet another Texas Cheerleader scandal! LOL!

That actually makes at least 3, but that one where the Mom went to prison was a long time ago and VERY bad, like attempted murder bad I think.

11. Thanks, everyone.

By the way:
    The mother that hired a hitman was Wanda Holloway. She hired a hitman to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival.

Halloway wanted the mother killed because she determined the competing girl would be so upset by the murder of her mother that she would drop out of the competition. Both girls were thirteen at the time of the plot.
    She is known as the "Texas-Cheerleader-Murdering-Mom."

Not only was the story made into a movie with Holly Hunter (The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom) but it was also made into a TV movie that showed on both ABC and Lifetime, called Willing to Kill: the Texas Cheerleader Story.

I don't feel like posting the entire Wikipedia article, so her it is: Wanda Holloway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Thanks! (By the way, the photograph illustrating the article: [​IMG]
    is a scene from the movie "Sugar & Spice." It's a movie about cheerleaders robbing a bank.

Sports teams (mostly football) have been notorious for getting 'perks' at school: Getting extensions on papers, getting bys on tests . . . . and those were made such a big deal about, too.

13. But not such a big deal that it is not a standard part of high school, to one degree or another. I guess you could argue that in a way, it does prepare the kids for real life...