is there an age when you don't really have to be a stay at home mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She clearly needed to work?? I don't see that. She was out of a job for 23 years I hardly think she NEEDED to work otherwise she would have gone to work sooner. More like she WANTED to work again. There is a huge difference. She said she felt ready to enter the workforce. Makes sense. She just didn't want to work before that. No biggie! She may have gotten tot he point where she was bored. My mom never went back to work but she thought about it occasionally after were were all out of school.

Also, there is much more things to do when you child starts school than you think. You don't realize what you miss with your kids until you stay home. I have dones both. I worked until I got pregnant with my second child and then relaize the reading times. lunches, parties at school I had missed with my older son because I was working. Now I get to go to all of those! It's FABULOUS! Being the class mom is great and getting involved in the child's school life, the PTA, etc...

I was going to say the same basically. No one who stays at home for 23 years needs to work. So obviously she didn't need a job. She just probably is going through the 'empty nest' syndrome now and want to have a life of her own. Afterall she has devoted her life to her children it seems for many years--probably neglecting herself and her needs for most of that time.
Now she wants to get back out there and work and have her own life. What is wrong with that? Going back to school is great too! This woman is truly one to be commended IMO. Some wouldn't have to courgage to get back into the workforce of go back to school after all of that time!

i have gone back twice and read the op and i didn't find the op saying the woman said she needed to work. did i miss something?

i don't know why any one would care why someone returned to work after a 23 year hiatus to care for their family or whatever. if one has income and is not dependent on the government why do you and your friend care? if the woman is qualifed i don't think it is a problem.

Gosh, I didn't mean literally "sitting at home all day." :rolleyes: I mean, they don't do all the school activities that Syntagma does that keep her occupied during the day. When the kids are home - yes, you are watching them and playing with them. We are talking about when they are off in high school. What are they doing after they are done cleaning, doing bills, etc? If you google "bored stay at home mom" you'll see plenty of moms that are asking what else they can do with their time. I have an aunt that stays at home while her kids are in elementary school and shops all day on the internet. I know she's not the only one. I explicitly said in my post that this doesn't apply to ALL SAHMs. I was just bringing up why "because she doesn't want to work" is a possibility.

Edit: Okay, read syntagma's post and saw what else can go on during those school hours. But I still think there are others that don't do those things and just sit at home all day.

Yes there are women like that. I think it's a question of attitude. If one has a good work ethic instilled, one puts it to good use whether raising children or doing a job. Basically you think "Whatever I do, I do the very best I can" and put your whole heart into it.

And yes, there are lazy moms. Moms who let the washing and the laundry pile up, let their kids eat junk food instead of good meals, park their a**ses (both theirs and their kids) in front of the TV and lie around like slobs. I am a mother, I visit my son's friends houses and I see some mothers like that.
These mothers would certainly be fired if they were to work in a professional environment, and so sometimes I do think they take the easy way out either supported by their spouses or the government.

So again I say the way you were brought up reflects the amount of energy and creativity you expend on ANYTHING whether it be child rearing or working outside the home.

my first thought after reading it, was how brave of this woman to go for an interview and try and get back into the workforce. It must have taken her an awful lot to do it, as just imagine how things must have changed after 22 years!

I hope somebody gives her a chance, you should never underestimate what mums learn when they are at home, they could probably balance 10 tasks at once without even thinking about it ;)

.... We are talking about when they are off in high school. What are they doing after they are done cleaning, doing bills, etc? ...

I have nothing but respect for SAHM's. Bottom line -whatever their reasons are for SAH are really pretty much none of my or anyone else's business. I don't understand the generalization of this topic. :confused1:

i have gone back twice and read the op and i didn't find the op saying the woman said she needed to work. did i miss something?

I bolded it for ya. I miss things sometime too! :smile:

Does this seem a little odd to anyone else? I mean, why you be a stay at home mom for so long if you clearly need to work? Couldn't she have gotten a job when her kid was like 5 (that's when they start school for most of the day)? I mean, I think waiting until you kids is almost 20 is a bit much.

I've been a SAHM and only have 1 child, who is now 11. I got a part-time job a couple of years ago because I felt a little restless and after years of college and a whole lot of money my parents put into giving me a top-notch education, I wanted to keep my mind stimulated. I work about 15 hours a week while my daughter is at school. But I want to make sure I'm always there for her before and after school, even when she's 18! Plus there is plenty at home to do with an 11-year old and a DH that acts like an 11-year old, so I never plan on going back to work full-time...not even when they grow up. lol

my first thought after reading it, was how brave of this woman to go for an interview and try and get back into the workforce. It must have taken her an awful lot to do it, as just imagine how things must have changed after 22 years!

I hope somebody gives her a chance, you should never underestimate what mums learn when they are at home, they could probably balance 10 tasks at once without even thinking about it ;)

I know, I agree. I think about me being out of work for only 2 years and IF or when I decide to go back how hard will it be for me!?! :wtf:

yes i saw that she did not say the woman said she needed to work. she asked the question why would you stay at home if you clearly needed to work.

:confused1: The entire post was in reference to a woman who was coming back to work after 23 years. The OP asked if we thought it was odd-still referencing the woman and then asked the question in question and then again afterward referenced the woman and basically whether she should have gotten a job when her "kid was like 5." In the context it clearly appears she was referencing the woman and making her own conclusions about the fact that she needed to work since she was trying to come back to work after all of this time. Hence my posts stating she doesn't NEED to work but WANTS to instead.

Does this seem a little odd to anyone else? I mean, why you be a stay at home mom for so long if you clearly need to work? Couldn't she have gotten a job when her kid was like 5 (that's when they start school for most of the day)? I mean, I think waiting until you kids is almost 20 is a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.