Is that just plain inflation ???

OK.... this is it!

I remembered having my first medium classic bag in 1999 which was about 500 pounds (I also bought LV pochette for 80 pounds). With the inflation and the exchange rate 8 years later, medium classic is $1,995 and LV pochette is $285. :tdown: When I thought I'm done with LV and switch to Chanel, I didn't expect the price increase (with 20% not 5%) twice a year...:wtf: and $3000 for a bag is totally insane...

I can justify to buy that price once in a while, but I think when I'm ready to buy one, the price might goes up to $4000.:hysteric:

^^ I really don't think Chanel bags are made in China.

This thread used to contain photos of Chanel's production:
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/the-making-of-a-classic-flap-183156.html
^^ The pictures are gone. :sad:

The thing is, if you read the book, it's not like these big companies go to any old factory in China, to have the bags made. They are selective and go to the appropriate factory and make sure the work is done according to the company's standards. The workers are given lessons on how to make the bags properly.

So how do we know that those pictures aren't from someone in China demonstrating how to make the appropriate bag?

It's the lying that makes me angry. Saying it's made in France or Italy when in reality, it's not.

^
^
Really?
I heard some, but since they're no evidence, so I don't want to jump to the conclusion.

erm_chan, are there any possible ways that your friend can provide something that proofs? I mean, anyone can say whatever she/he want to say (for any reasons):shrugs:, and I feel a bit unfair for the company that we're talking.

If it's so (as authenitc LV really made in China), I will stop buying anything from them. I don't mind about the product's origin, but I hate un-true words.

^^ The pictures are gone. :sad:

The thing is, if you read the book, it's not like these big companies go to any old factory in China, to have the bags made. They are selective and go to the appropriate factory and make sure the work is done according to the company's standards. The workers are given lessons on how to make the bags properly.

So how do we know that those pictures aren't from someone in China demonstrating how to make the appropriate bag?

It's the lying that makes me angry. Saying it's made in France or Italy when in reality, it's not.

You are absolutely spot on Jayne1.

The luxury accessories business is enormous and extremely lucrative. It generates billions and billions of dollars in revenue. They (Chanel, etc...) know exactly what they are doing. And outsourcing the labour increases revenues even more so, in addition to the exorbitant price increases. I loathe the compromising of the quality that Chanel has been known for, the alleged deceptive practices and the gall to charge their customers these absurd price increases for it.

No one enjoys being made a fool of...that I know.

I've made a reservation at my local library and abt the story on how bags are made in China, i dun know how true (i hope it is NOT true) but I've frens in Canada who told me this b4 too :sad:

Not that China is not good, afterall they have a large population and hey, for labour intensive stuff, maybe they can do as well; so i agree it is the whole idea/notion of being not told the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

No one enjoys being made a fool of...that I know.

ITA! I think even if I have a net asset of over $10 mil, why would I want to be the emperor in the Emperor’s New Clothes? I’d have to be $ savvy to be able to make that kind of $ in the first place. But who knows, perhaps I would be singing a different tune if I actually have over $10 mil … finally able to truly live vicariously and all that ... but then again, perhaps not … I might be able to ‘justify’ the occasional purchase but I’d think there would be a cut off point when the price increases simply cannot be justified.

Having said that, there are a few bags from the S/S 08 that I would love to get my hands on … we’ll see … :hrmm: