Is monogram canvas really worth it???

I know LV is worth it. The purse for me, especially my Speedy in Monogram looks good on me IMO. I love my purse. It makes me happy. For me, I always wanted a Louis Vuitton purse. I don't think my feeling for loving my Speedy will ever go away! :love:

I agree but people want to buy something that not all can afford. IT's the status thing. What can you do. People pay $200 for a t-shirts.

I'm a little late but wanted to put my two cents in... Saying "it's the status thing"... that's not true. Not all of us feel that way, so one shouldn't have to speak for the rest of us here on the LV forum.

I first started buying LV because I liked the uniqueness of the Monogram Canvas... then I started buying more LV because I took notice in the quality/craftsmanship.

I mean if thoughts/questions like "Is Monogram Canvas really worth it?" come to mind, it makes me wonder "Well then why does this person even really buy LV in the first place?" :shrugs:

mmmhh...good question!!

i'll probably buy my first Speedy mono for Xmas,and I often ask myself if it is worth it.
i don't know ,but i think that when i'll have my speedy on my hand i'll think "yes,it is worth it"!('cause it is my little dream and i'm saving money to buy )

although I only just purchased my 1st LV last week, I have loved the mono canvas since I 1st saw it in 1987. What appeals to me most is that it's timeless and classic. How many years has the monogram canvas been in production? It's not one of those colors or patterns that goes out of style. Being well made is an important aspect to me as well. As many have attested, they've been carrying the same item for numerous years with little wear and tear. If you break that down, over the years the price is very little....a $1000 bag that endures for 15 years or more is like having only spent $67/yr.

The frequent price increases do irk me.

For some people, it won't be worth it. I think many tpf'ers take good care of thier items to ensure it will last for many years to come. Someone looking for a trendy knockaround bag that can be beat on might be better served by choosing a low end bag that can be tossed into the trash when the season is done. This is what I'm like with shoes. I will pay good money for classic shoes in leather that I can upkeep over the years. If I want a particularly trendy style that will appear outdated in a year, I oftentimes go with a low end pair that I can throw out guilt free when the trend has passed.

I read in the Dallas Morning News (many months ago) that the profit on an LV bag was enormous (can't remember the exact %). The cost of the materials is not very much compared to what you pay for it. However, saying that an LV bag has a great resale value and if you love it, its worth it.
exactly...the materials and labour versus the profit margin...I have an issue with that because I am working class and cannot buy everything that I love...have they gone too far with the price increases???greedy perphaps?

p.s. John I love the look of mono canvas hence the desire for it. I too am not hung up on status either because I am an average Joe no better than the next guy but, I question is the price tag associated with mono canvas really worth it? or are the profit margins so high that LV is being greedy? Of course they must make a profit but, if it cost them under a hundred dollars to produce a speedy and then they sell it for over 670 is that fair?? not sure how much it costs to produce a speedy but, read something whether it is accurate or now it costs well below 100 dollars to produce. thanks for sharing your passion for LV and your point of view...btw you are an early bird!!!!

exactly...the materials and labour versus the profit margin...I have an issue with that because I am working class and cannot buy everything that I love...have they gone too far with the price increases???greedy perphaps?

ITA! One price increase a year I'm okay with -- cost of doing business does increase. Okay fine. But THREE price increases almost every year is A LOT!

I absolutely think Louis Vuitton has gone overboard with its price increases. But they get away with it because their reputation for quality and somewhat elite status drive people to continue to buy.

I also didn't originally buy LV for status reasons - I bought my first because my husband (who is completely ignorant of designer goods, lol) told me I should buy one becase he thought they looked "classy". I'm now aware of the status symbol they represent and I like them that much more because not everyone is walking around with an authentic LV.

But lvpug, I do sometimes ask myself if it's worth so many hundreds of dollars for pieces with lots of vachetta that are more prone to attract stains and that ultimately darken. I think that at the least, LV could put feet on my damn Mini Noe...and the Petit Noe...and the Alma...etc. to help protect our investments.

What makes me cry are the thoughts that 1) LV only makes a similar wallet to what I have and love, and 2) yeah, the price of $175 now seems like a bargain. I recently returned a Cabas Piano to eLuxury, and when I asked for $900 in insurance, the UPS guy was thinking that was certainly one heck of a lot for a handbag (not judgemental, just floored at the price). I then showed him my wallet and said how old it was, and he said maybe it was a good buy after all if it lasts. *G*

I love this story! :nuts: It's SOOO worth it to pay more for something you can use for such a long time. (ALso, it would be sweet to get an LV wallet for $175 now! LOL)

I would say that's quite true. I certainly didn't know who or what LV was when I picked up my first piece, they were just the only freakin' store that had a wallet I liked. Then I was floored by the durability. I know that if I buy an LV, it will definitely have a secondary value should I decide to sell at a later date, and unless I abuse the heck out of it, I'll need to put it in my will. Besides, given what I wear on a daily basis, it's SO not a status thing. *G*

I'm a little late but wanted to put my two cents in... Saying "it's the status thing"... that's not true. Not all of us feel that way, so one shouldn't have to speak for the rest of us here on the LV forum.

I first started buying LV because I liked the uniqueness of the Monogram Canvas... then I started buying more LV because I took notice in the quality/craftsmanship.

I mean if thoughts/questions like "Is Monogram Canvas really worth it?" come to mind, it makes me wonder "Well then why does this person even really buy LV in the first place?" :shrugs:

I couldn't have said it better myself, you wrote exactly what was going through my mind reading this;)

There are two main reasons for the price: People will pay it, and there are A LOT more people around the planet chasing down what they view as "luxury items." When incomes go up, people want to buy something nicer than what they had before, and that's fueling the worldwide demand for high-end goods. The reality is that there's no shortage of people willing to spend the dollars, euros, yen, dinars...or whatever else on what they want.

Is the profit high? Yes, but then you're also paying for the beautiful stores, the higher-end labor, the sales associates and so much more. If you really want to get upset over the profit, put your thoughts toward the cosmetic, skincare and fragrance industries. The typical markup is an outright 1000%, and it can be even higher than that. As the line in the miniseries "Bare Essence" went, fragrance is a license to steal.

p.s. John I love the look of mono canvas hence the desire for it. I too am not hung up on status either because I am an average Joe no better than the next guy but, I question is the price tag associated with mono canvas really worth it? or are the profit margins so high that LV is being greedy? Of course they must make a profit but, if it cost them under a hundred dollars to produce a speedy and then they sell it for over 670 is that fair?? not sure how much it costs to produce a speedy but, read something whether it is accurate or now it costs well below 100 dollars to produce. thanks for sharing your passion for LV and your point of view...btw you are an early bird!!!!

It is worth it to me. I am new to LV and don't even own a bag yet (next month!) but I can remember my aunt from Tokyo carrying a LV monogram speedy 25 years ago! Last year, my mother borrowed that same purse while she was visiting. She said it was immaculate.
Value is in the eye of the beholder. I have scrimped and saved my pennies to get the "luxury" items I have, such as Tiffany's or my beloved Annick Goutal Petite Cherie perfume.
I will not pay top dollar for shoes that I will scuff up, clothes that will wear out or prepared food that I can make better at home.
I am also willing to pay a higher price for quality goods that are made my people making a decent wage in a good environment, as several posters have mentioned before.