Is it wrong to invite me for dinner and TELL me what to bring?

We were invited to a small cookout a while back. It was a very last minute invite. It was about a 45 minute drive. Half way there, we called to ask if they wanted us to stop and bring something. They rattled off a list which was basically the entire menu! I swear! They asked us to bring all of the meat for the cookout, drinks, condiments, bread and even a few side dishes.

We turned the car around and went back home. Didn't even call to tell them we weren't coming.

Good for you! Who wants friends like that anyway?

Sounds to me like she is providing location and disposable dishes and wants family to supply food and drink. Whenever I have been invited to a family function I have NEVER been asked to bring something large like soda, beer, cake for 16 people. Usually like you I will bring a bottle of wine, dessert and around the holidays maybe flowers. If I invite my family over for a Bar B Que all I ask is that they bring themselves and not leave my place a mess :P If someone chooses to bring something than thats very nice of them, but I don't expect them to.

We were invited to a small cookout a while back. It was a very last minute invite. It was about a 45 minute drive. Half way there, we called to ask if they wanted us to stop and bring something. They rattled off a list which was basically the entire menu! I swear! They asked us to bring all of the meat for the cookout, drinks, condiments, bread and even a few side dishes.

We turned the car around and went back home. Didn't even call to tell them we weren't coming.

DH and I would have probably done the same :roflmfao:

Well, honestly...if I invited you over for a dinner party I would call you ahead of time and be like bring the steaks, side dishes and grab some booze while you are at it......:roflmfao:

Good one!

You know, My mother won't even tell me to bring anything unless I ask her first or when I insist on bringing something hehehehe.

With my inlaws, all gatherings are potluck and things are assigned, but it isn't carved in stone that you have to bring any one thing. Unless they specifically ask for something(my phenomenal homemade salsa is a favorite request) then any salad, appetizer, or desert is welcome.

Sodas for 16 people is a little ridiculous. I would have let it go if she said a 12 pack, or a few 2 liters...you know, just to help out a little in the soda area. But to actually bring all of the soda for everyone?! Nope. She needs to track her happy ass back into the store and get her own soda. This reminds me of an acquaintance who was having a birthday party for her daughter and she asked me to bring the hot dogs AND the burgers!!!! I wont say what I told her, but it wasnt nice:cursing:

With my inlaws, all gatherings are potluck and things are assigned, but it isn't carved in stone that you have to bring any one thing. Unless they specifically ask for something(my phenomenal homemade salsa is a favorite request) then any salad, appetizer, or desert is welcome.

Yup, same with my VERY large Italian family! One person incurring expenses would be for 30 or so people (who eat and drink a lot!!) This, however, has always been our family arrangement, so no one thinks twice!!

Nishi, I would have been annoyed too. If this is not a usual thing, sheesh. She should have asked when she invited you over! Something like "everyone is bringing a dish, would you mind being in charge of..." would have been easy enough.

It really depends on your association. I've had dinner parties where my guests had offered to bring something, and in order to prevent the situation where we end up with 20 bottles of wine, I say, "we need X, but feel free to bring anything you want, or not. No obligations." Most of my friends are fine with that, and if they can't bring it, they just don't bring anything. And when I go for dinner parties, I make the same offer too.

I think that is crazy. I could understand if she said you know I really enjoy that dish you mkae, would you consider makign that for the bbq, as it's somethign every one will enjoy. But this is bizarre at best.

In our family someone has their "specialty", some dish they cook the best and sometimes there are requests in gatherings. I've never been asked and I know why lol but that's another story. If my aunt invited us over then it's all her unless she asks us to buy and then she pays us back. If it's a lets-all-go-to grandma's type then it's potluck.