is it really all about the benjamins???

1. I was just curious how some of you feel on the following:

Do you think being in debt is worth getting that new handbag or that new car? Ive seen so many women who are fairly young and caught in the hype of buying the latest bag or the newest car and having the nicest clothes, yet they drive into a beatup apartment complex, or for example have a nice 1500$ handbag, but have a very very lowend cheap car etc. so basically, " the handbag dosent fit the lifestyle" thing. I know its preety judgemental, but cmon now, i know its all crossed our minds at one time or another.

I know everyone has a right to buy what they want and how they want, but what are your feelings on this? Do you think that "its ok" for a women to have high end handbags and still be living in a beatup apartment complex and driving a beatup car etc. (just giving an example) OR do you think people like this have there priorities all messed up and need to focus on getting a "nicer" car and getting a nicer looking place and then focusing on smaller things like nice handbags and nice clothes. please share you opinions!

(if this has been posted, please feel free to delete):rolleyes:

2. Most of my single/divorced friends have okay cars and safe okay apartments/houses and have beautiful highends stuff (clothes, shoes and bags)....kinda like Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City. I think anybody who can AFFORD it should not be deprived just because they don't drive a mercedes or have a gorgeous apt. A car and an apt. are poor investments anyway, as long as your car can get you from point A to point B and you have an okay apt/house in a decent neighborhood and can afford these nice bags, etc., I say enjoy!

3. I have 3 kids and until they are up and out of the house, I couldn't care less what kind of car I drive as long as it is safe!!! Really, I couldn't care about cars at all, probably even then!!! My dream car is a Volkswagen Karmen ghia (sp.?), so it probably won't match me at all when I step out of it in my Louboutins and Chanel bag!!! I am all about the accessories.....and not the kind that you drive!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

4. as long as everything is in moderation, i can understand buying a $1,500 handbag but driving a civic, but living in a modest loft in the city. that's moderation and sensibility.

however, one of my friends.. has some of the most coveted and limited bags (turquoise theda, red/cream CB retro, pink/pink CB Pap, silver graffiti keepall, etc) and .. has no car. WTF. which means he goes to LV on the metroline and walks home! wtf! :shocked: he moves (yes HE) around often, and can't seem to hold a job for very long. i totally lectured him on the amount of money he spent, he totally could've gotten a decent car to at least drive around in. ridiculous.

another friend of mine.. has a ton of LV and is obsessed with it as the next person, but totally drives a beat up piece of crap.. IMHO, i think the car could at least match the lifestyle SOMEWHAT... like how embarrassing is it (for me at least!) to go up to the valet in a piece of junk, and then spend thousands in LV and such, and end the day to ask valet to pull ur junky car out? I'd rather not valet that!

i at one point, wanted to get a mercedes c32 amg, to match my lifestyle.. but i realized i don't need it. i haven't gone shopping as much as i used to, nor am i carrying on the life i used to try to live - shopping, and going out, very frou-frou and posh.. so now i just want (and saving!) a car that suits my current lifestyle and isn't too pretentious. besides, a new camry doesn't make me look like a snob. haha. it's a camry after all. i'm over the whole matching lifestyle aspect.. i mean, it'll be a new car anyway, and the new camry's are teh sex! haha.

5. i don't believe in credit debt for luxuries but if having a little luxury makes living your ordinary life little easier to bear i'm all for it. i figure as long as you balance spending with saving, its your money, you work hard for and have earned the right to spend it on what you want. heh.

oh and to me, cars are a terrible investment. they depreciate so quickly. besides i'm a horrible driver. i'd probably wreck it before it was paid off. :smile: for *me* buying a luxury/nice car for myself is as silly a purchase as $$$ handbags are to some people. i would never buy a luxury car unless i had money to burn (not to say i don't want a bmw some day...hehe) right now i drive a well taken care of but modest late model subaru outback ONLY because my husband made me buy a new car. if it were up to me i'd still be driving a 1500 dollar volvo. gets me from point a to point b with no payments. what else do you need?

6. To me it is foolish to spend and buy anything on credit - apart from a mortgage obviously! Sadly those are unavoidable unless you are Paris Hilton or likewise!

I buy my bags with cold, hard cash - so when I haven't got I don't buy. If I want then I work extra shifts - this gives me a reality check sometimes - do I really wanna get up early and work twelve hours so many extra times a month just to afford so and so? This means I only buy what I really, really want. If you sit down and add up the interest you pay on a credit card purchase and how much extra that bag actually ended up costing you it is heartbreaking. I didn't even have a credit card until last year and I see so many people in trouble with debts!

As for cars - I mostly go on the tube or bus but we have a functional vehicle and that is all that counts. As long as it works who cares if it looks crappY?

7. I understand some of your guys points on the whole car thing. I have a clk 500 and I walk around dressed like crap,trust me-- your lucky if i even match LMFAO. which in some peoples eyes is odd, because we normally see people with "nice cars" looking "nice" and living in "nice neighborhoods" etc. but, what i was curious about was say you saw person A: designer jeans, top and shoes, 1500$ lv bag but then she had a 92 honda or something and lived in a rundown/"low class" area..what would u think? what you think she was "trying to be something she isnt" or would you think her priorities are all wrong?
    Im not saying that you MUST have a nice car or live in a nice home in order to have an interest in spending so much for a handbag, but dont u think the two go hand in hand, no??

8. Definitely not.

While being in debt? Or is that in general?
    In general, judging whether it's OK or not for someone to spend their money on this or that is just out of line. No one has a right to judge what others do with THEIR money, as long as it is mostly harmless to themselves and others.
    Getting a "nicer car" is IMHO just as messed up a priority as a "designer" bag if you can't cover necessities. If you CAN cover, who's to say what you consider a priority?
    It's shallow to judge what a person's priorities should be when it comes to accessories. Yeah, because getting a "nice" car isn't about transportation, is it? YKWIM?
    What if the person doesn't want a nicer car for whatever reason? If they're not really interested in cars, then why would they bother with one? Or what if the car they have feels nice to them.
    What's the definition of a lifestyle? I enjoy my bags and clothes, like them to be well made and if the style appeals, designer, but I'd actually rather drive a Willis Jeep over one of those new-fangled cars because I find most of them ugly.

Nope :smile: It just depends on what you enjoy.

9. I think everyone spends on what they feel is important. My husband doesnt understand my bag fetish but will pay for whatever I want. I personally dont understand his food fetish but I support what he wants. We all spend but in different ways. My husband drops EASY $1000 a month just on himself eating out and whenever he brings up how much my bags cost I remind him of his expensive meals out. I tell him at least my bags are here the next day! LOL
    Selena

10. Mais non, not at all...I have a friend who puts her handbag in a "monoprix" (that is a discount store in France) shopping bag to go home after work because she lives in the 20eme ( a little rough, you know...but, hey, it is still not the Northern Suburbs....she lives there because she likes it...I think it has a nice bobo appeal=))))) She is a professional, her bag is a tool...she likes it...that is all. In Paris, when I see someone with a nice bag, there are no further questions in my mind...it stops with the bag...end of story.

IMO, if you carry a bag for any other reason (like, for example, you haven't really thought about if you like the bag...you just carry it to impress others) then you are not so secure. On the other hand, if you let the neighbourhood you live in, or the car you drive influence your decision not to buy a good luxury handbag, then you also have some issues to consider. Yes, you must live within your means...but, goodness, if you want to save up for a beautiful handbag...then enjoy...no one has a right to jude you.

If you like it, carry it, if you want to drive a fancy car, drive it, live wherever you want, be content. If you feel good in your own skin, then that is all that really matters. Be yourself, no matter who that is!

11. Yes, exactally! And they can't make us fat!!!!! In fact, if we spend too much, they might even make us thinner! I like that way of thinking!

12. I like this attitude...you said "tube" so I guess you live in London...I live in Paris, I take the metro or a cab and don't need to drive...yes, I have something agreeable to drive, when necessary, but I don't need to do that...honestly though, I think it is really a whole different set of rules when you live outside of the city... I am glad to not have to worry about transportation! (or credit...I am like you....but, you know, in Europe, they can come and take whatever they want if we don't pay...it is not the same in the US)...

Can they "reposess a handbag"? I think not....am I wrong? Don't you just get a bad credit rating?

13. I like this attitude...you said "tube" so I guess you live in London...I live in Paris, I take the metro or a cab and don't need to drive...yes, I have something agreeable to drive, when necessary, but I don't need to do that...honestly though, I think it is really a whole different set of rules when you live outside of the city... I am glad to not have to worry about transportation! (or credit...I am like you....but, you know, in Europe, they can come and take whatever they want if we don't pay...it is not the same in the US)...

Can they "reposess a handbag"? I think not....am I wrong? Don't you just get a bad credit rating?

14. Well, when I was younger I had a LOT of credit card debt. Thankfully, I managed to get out of that and my husband and I now have one credit card each. That's it!! We only use them in case of something very important, i.e., new refrigerator, stove, roof, etc. In case something like that should come up. Otherwise, we are a total cash-pay family. We worked hard to get it that way and now that it is, I couldn't imagine ever going into debt again for material things we wanted. He likes his toys just as much as I like my handbags, but we won't go into debt to get them.

15. You sound like someone that's eaten a few ramen ready-meals in return for a key piece of her wardrobe :lol: