Is it considered cheating??

I have many male friends and my husband knows all of them. My dearest friend from home (NY) comes down to Dallas to visit us at least once or twice a year and he and my DH have become close friends over the last 12 years. As long as you are not doing anything that you wouldnt feel comfortable doing in the presence of your mate, I see nothing wrong. IMHO.

D & G rockstar said:
Instantly my answer would be NO>

But in a relationship, i don't put myself in a situation where something could even slightly happen.

It really depends on who it is... does my BF know him? Am I attracted to this person? What is my relationship to that person?? Is this a social dinner or a work dinner? I think WORK dinners are OK if it's a group setting.

Cheating is a form of disrespect to the relationship. I wouldn't do anything disrespectful to my man... even if it's technically not cheating.
:yes: well said... and so agree.:yes:

I have a good male friend who helped me through a lot of crap last year and he became my best bud. We would meet for lunch during the week a lot because we worked near eachother. I never considered these 'dates' at all because we always split the check and he never made a move on me (wouldn't have wanted him to, just not my type).

When I started dating my BF last year I told him all about my buddy and we still met for lunch sometimes but not as much and now it's really dropped down to nothing. I also found out through a friend of a friend that this buddy of mine has/had a big crush on me. So after hearing that I really backed off because I never wanted to lead him on (not that he ever made any moves).

Hope this makes sense - random ramblings...in the end as long as you are open and honest about it it shouldn't be considered cheating. But if you are spending more time with others than with your SO or DH then that's a sign something's wrong IMO.

D & G rockstar said:
Instantly my answer would be NO>

But in a relationship, i don't put myself in a situation where something could even slightly happen.

It really depends on who it is... does my BF know him? Am I attracted to this person? What is my relationship to that person?? Is this a social dinner or a work dinner? I think WORK dinners are OK if it's a group setting.

Cheating is a form of disrespect to the relationship. I wouldn't do anything disrespectful to my man... even if it's technically not cheating.

Couldn't say it any better, and I'm sure my DH will agree since we pretty much see eye-to-eye about this matter. Really, it just comes right down to respect and consideration for the other person.

I think its all in the heart. If the person is there with a motive then it is, if they are friends then why not. Although the frequency matters as well...

i'm the type of girl that has a lot of male friends (i work in a heavily male workplace, plus i just generally get along well with men), and as long as you can be honest with your SO about your whereabouts (and whoabouts, i suppose), there's no reason to assume that something is going on just because your dinner buddy is not also female. i value my male friends a lot, particularly for advice about issues with guys, and i meet them for meals and things like that regularly. you have to trust your SO enough to not think that there are always ulterior motives.

If it is JUST dinner, then no its not considered cheating. If you intentionally hide it and make it very suspicious looking then I dont think it was so innocent of a dinner.

If your SO does not know what you are doing or finds out and asks you to stop and you don't then I feel like it is. If it is innocent it would not be in secret. If they know and don't care for you going then its fine.

OMG!!!! If going out to dinner with an individual of the opposite sex is considered "cheating", then I've been a sinner for MANY years :lol: !!!

Mostly because of the business I'm in, most of my colleagues are men (the ratio is about 8:100 - 8 woman:100 men). Throughout the years, I have become good friends with many of them regardless of their status (single, married, divorced, etc.) - or persuasion (as a matter of fact, I have a fair number of gay men friends as they are as interested in the arts & travel as I).

My husband always knows if I'm going out to dinner with a colleague/friend, and he has never questioned me about it. I think it comes down to *trust*, and I think he knows that I'm not the type to "cheat" (frankly, I'm not a good enough actress to hide my feelings!).

One of the major differences that I've seen working in the US versus Europe, is that we in the states have become almost TOO politically correct. Mind you, I'm not saying that we should be able to go around making inappropriate statements or harassing individuals, but I think we also have a tendency to *read into* things that may be quite innocent. Just because you're with someone (whether it be dinner, a movie, theater, etc.) ... it doesn't necessarily mean that you're having an *affair* with that individual!!