Is Hermes like the Rolex of purses?

Sorry - I didn't answer you...

Mostly I depend on my cellphone for the time. LOL! However, I do have a PP calatrava (mechanical - model no longer in production) and a VC 1972 (GASP- sacrilege - QUARTZ). I also have a really cute and unusual antique VC. All perfectly suitable partners for H. Nothing flash or blingy here....

It's nice to see there's a lot of watch enthusiasts in this forum as well :smile: Good meeting you all! :tup:

j'adore Paris, yep, I agree the most expensive watch is by VC, and also the second most complicated watch (unfortuantely, the title was taken by Franck Muller but I have to say the VC one looked way more classy). I was only talking about the general price of VCs being lower than general price of PPs. But I would say that is a result of marketing rather than quality.

By the way, jedimaster, VC makes approximately half of their movements, with the other half supplied by the likes of JLC etc.. but they're aiming to become fully in-house in a few years.

Nevertheless, it is hard to compare fashion houses with watch manufacturers, like I've seen in a magazine couple of years ago there was a comparison between watches and car manufacturers! (Ok, I'm not trying to start a Hermes = what car manufacturer discussion :P).

Dear Jedimaster - I think everyone else is fading here. We know the kind of superior, and elegant watch compatible with H. I think we've answered the question in this thread, don't you? Hermes is definitely NOT the Rolex of the purseworld ( or the Montblanc of the pen world for that matter....)

OK - I've let this run long enough...

There is no "production" watch firm that can compare to Hermes. If any, maybe the independant FP Journe - they only make one ladies watch so, I am not sure many will know this brand here. Patek, Vacheron and Audemars are all the top three watch brands....Breguet is not far behind.
Rolex is the equivelant to Louis Vutton - extremely well made and can take the abuse and toll from daily wear and tear. Patek is very much like Chanel, exclusive and refined
Vacheron and Audemars are similar to SOME styles of Chanel, LV, Dior....Vacheron is more of a "flowery" and "french" watch brand and Audemars is pure classicism...especially with the Royal Oak like the Lady Dior bag or LV Noe.

Hermes is more special, produced in limited quantities and exclusive where not everyone knows what they are, and not everyone can obtain one. This is FP Journe. My DH has traveled long and far to obtain a special limited edition Journe. My DH is an avid watch collector and he just told me to write that...."Hermes only makes a few thousand bags per year....Journe makes 700-1000 watches...Patek makes over 30,000 pieces a year, the majority of which are ladies quartz 24 models."

Hermes is NOT like a quartz watch no matter what brand name is on the dial!

Rolex is a fantastic watch, which is designed for pure functionality and servicability for years and years. Please, even though I am a die hard ROlex fan, to use the comparison in the same breath as Hermes is not giving the H its due. ROlex makes and sells over 700,000 watches a year. Very common.....they might be a symbol of sucess or status, but common nonetheless.

My DH says H is like a custom watch made by gentlemen like Roger Smith www.rwsmithwatches.com or Kari Voutilainen www.voutilainen.ch. Goods that are handmade by the experts in their field are worth their weight in gold...or platnium...or palladium :smile:....no pun intended :smile:

thank you! lol....this is what i was trying to express in my very inartful way, i could not find the words, very well said.:tup:

That's even harder j'adore Paris! I would say Bentley (being top status) but there're plenty of reason to choose otherwise!

Hehe.. you're right, the consensus we get here is that Hermes is not the Rolex of purses, but rather LV seem to be unanimously agreed to take that title! ;) But whatever our favourite watch is (PP, VC, FP J, GP, AL&S, BP....) Hermes will definitely look good with it!

Oh dear. If money were no object, probably a Patek (OK OK, Hermesgroupie, I admit it!)

Oh I just love reading this! My DH insisted on a Patek for me when he was buying a gold/diamond watch for my last BIG birthday/anniversary (they arrive in tandem:smile: He was so set on it, I didn't question him and just stuck out my wrist for it:P And yes, it looks even better when worn with any Hermes bag:tup:

Wow, a very impressive thread indeed. I got a cousin who is a watch fanatic. One time he sat me down and explained the ABC's of the watch world. Somebody asked earlier id Harry Winston makes watches - they do , but they are known as a jewelry type of watch (aka blingy and not known for their movement/quality etc..) Same applies to Chanel and , sadly, my favorite Van Clef watches. Then there are the big ( and respected by all experts) boys such as the Patek, Mont Blunc, Jaques Le Courree ( pardon the spelling) and my DH's favorite Audemoun Piguet . There are a few others but I cannot recall their names. Just FYI Rolex isn't up there with the big boys.Although it is a good watch, it is defiantly NOT understated elegance. A true watch afficianado wouldn't have a Rolex watch.

Oh sorry I forgot to answer your question! I normally wear a JLC Master Compressor on the weekdays, and a VC Royal Eagle on the weekend. I rarely wear my PP Calatrava though as I know I'll freak out if I manage to put a dent it in some way :shame:. I'm very careless with what goes on my wrist.

This is fun! Love to hear about what people like for watches. Lots of people with great taste here yeay!! :tup:

My DH likes the Patek Aquanaut...hasn't looked at it in years but I am thinking about getting it for him sometime. If anyone has any thoughts about this style and/or where to get it, please feel free to chime in, as I know nothing about watches.

Also the article that compares watches to cars was in Vanity Fair last year. It was a very interesting read indeed. And while we are on the subject i would compare Hermes bags to a Austin Martin . Same understated elegance, craftsmanship and definitely only for the people in the "know"