Is Halal cart food healthy???

1. I live and work in manhattan and many of my friends are OBSESSED with the Halal cart foods. I actually find it to be quite salty and oily with very little nutrition. However I could never be too sure.

Does anyone know the nutrition facts on the halal food?
    I am talking about the typical food, chicken and rice with lettuce tomatoes and this white sauce.

It would be great to know. TIA!!
  2. I don't think halal foods really have any distinctive feature other than it being blessed prior to cooking.
  3. Halal food refers to what is permissable to eat and the way in which an animal has been killed. It is similar to food being kosher. Halal food means that the animal has been slaughtered under religious supervision and the blood has been allowed to drain completely. It means there is no alcohol or pork in it. As well as any other products or by products that would not be allowed.
  4. Hmmm I'm not sure but I am in NYC and there are carts on the streets that says "Halal food" on it. Basiclaly over here it is this middle eastern type food that consists of rice and chicken platter or gyro. So I was wondering if that food was healthy or not. i guess its a new york thing.
  5. If a sign says "Halal Food" it means that the animal has been killed in a special way that make it permissible for people of Islamic faith to eat the meat. It's similar to people of Jewish faith eating kosher food. It's nothing to do with health issues, it's just a notice to Muslim people that the food is okay for them to eat.
  6. As a NYer, I never eat street food. Whether it be hotdogs, gyros, halal, or even coffee. Where do you think those guys go to the bathroom? I don't know any carts that have toilets attached to them. If they were to leave their carts, someone would steal the food or even the cart. Maybe that's where they get the special flavor from. Ponder that then decide if it's healthy! If you must eat it, here is a website that reviews carts found around the city. Happy eating!
  7. Merika and noon have given the best explanation to what constitute halal food.

It has nothing to do with nutrition.
  8. I know what you are talking about effinhaute.

You have been given the definition of "halal", but the NY cart food that you are referring to specifically, is yes, typically oily and salty. I would put it just a step above McD's. I have a friend who is Yemeni, and they don't eat like that; maybe it's like the comparison between authentic Chinese food and the takeout crap.
  9. Well I am not sure where youg uys are from?? but here in NYC I am referring to this type of street food we have and it is a called halal food, which is a street cart that serves typically chicken and rice. I know it doesnt refer to anything about health in the dictionary but its like a hotdog stand, however we have halal food stands that are quite popular. My question was if it was healthy, the food served at these halal carts. I guess if yo uaren't from NYC youw ouldn't know what I am talking about.

Hubba Wubba, I totally agree. I never ever eat any street food either. I have seen those guys not wash their hands and touch the food with those hands. GROSS!

Asian, Finally!! someone who understands me! haha. I never touch the stuff, but my friends looove it and I am trying toe xplain to them why they're bad for you..

Yeah I am Korean, however I do have Chinese friends and have been to their hosues for dinner.. it is absolutely NOTHING like the take out.

It feels really goood to have another new yorker who knew what i was talking about ! :p
  10. Fellow NYer here- and after seeing a special on News at 10 on carts.. omg. never. They put night vision in these carts and time lapsed them over night, and you can see rats getting in and out of them. Halal, hotdogs, and pretzel carts. NO THANK YOU. The vendors were like 'yea rats might have been in the cart but we cook the food." omg.. lol

I know they smell amazing, and even my smartest NYU friends line up for it after a night of boozing- but I would rather starve.
  11. southhamptonkitty - youre kidding me! that is disgusting.....

yeah my friends line up after a night of drinking as well. Even if I told them this I don't think they would care. All they care about is how good it tastes and they're guys anyways :p

Good to know though, Thanks!!
  12. I used to live in New York, and visit it every so often too so I know what carts you're talking about. And Halal isn't a "type" of food like everyone here has already explained. It simply means that the meat served in the meals has been blessed religiously and doesn't contain pork etc. Halal food stands can contain mediterranean food, arabic food, lebanese food, indian food, hot dogs, etc. It depends on the stand the kind of food they want to sell. Just bc they have a sign saying "halal food" doesn't mean it's going to be x kind of food. Most of the time it is Lebanese/Arabic food bc a majority of people from those countries eat halal food. As for it being healthy, I don't think it's any better or worse than any other type of street food out there.
  13. Sorry, that's just gross :yucky: I used to live in the city and I know they have people watch their carts or they just go. My work building had a very popular cart in front of it and if they guys weren't there they would just wait, no one is going to walk off with food.

To the OP, I think the confusion here is that you're calling it halal food which lots of people have already defined but it's really just street cart food. As someone said, it's only called halal because of the way it's prepared, to indicate to Muslims it's OK for them to eat (if they only consume halal meats, etc). I think that's why people outside of the city have no idea why you're calling it that.

Anyways, I don't think it's healthy. I used to eat it very rarely not because I didn't love it but because it left me so lethargic. When I wanted a lighter version I used to ask my guy to make me the chicken, not add any oil, give me the veggies, no bread, no sauces. I think that actually wasn't so bad as long as I didn't eat the whole huge portion!
  14. One of the differences in Halal and Kosher meats is that in addition to the way the animal is slaughtered, and obvious differences in religious rituals, Halal animals must also be fed and cared for according to certain rules, and one of those rules is that the animals cannot be fed their ground-up cousins.

So if mad cow is a concern, Halal meat is definitely for you!

And in most cases, if all the rules are obeyed, the animals will not be kept in tiny cages, so the chickens, for instance, will be "free range" and this, as well as the better diet, makes Halal meat taste better.

Now greasy and salty and all that has to do with the way the food is prepared, and has nothing to do with whether the meat is halal, nor do the conditions in which prepared foods are stored.

You can go to the store and get some really good Halal lamb and bring it home and totally screw it up or make it into a dish that somebody else totally hates, just as you can with non-Halal lamb.

And you can make either one into sandwiches and sell them to a company that stores them all in a filthy closet!

effinhaute, what you might try is getting a Halal chicken, and using it to make your favorite chicken recipe at home.

Just because something on a cart started out with Halal meat does not mean that you are going to like what it was made into!
  15. I'm Muslim, and I've always assumed that Halal meat isn't healthier than any other meat.

But Shimma does raise some valid points and to why it may be considered healthier.