Is Getting Pregnant the IT Thing Nowadays?

Nina_LV said:
About 45% of the girls at my school are pregnant. I just find that to be extremely upsetting, keep in mind im only 16 but I have been taught better.

I agree im 17,but maybe one girl in my school ( out of +1,000 students) became preggers,then she was kicked out when she started showing visibly ( I go to a private school). I think the problem is that most teens these days just have sex on their minds,and they are doing it like 3x a day with their boyfriends (that probably cant afford condoms sometimes). I think its ignorance,and stupidity!

I think having a child at that age is a poor choice... but I know pleanty of people who have had children at such a young age and they're GREAT parents. Condoms, birth control, whatever... accidents DO and always will happen. Either way, things get worked out. If it's a less than favorable situation, just thank goodness you're not in it.

I'm 19. At 17, I had a pregnancy scare (a three month long one!) and let me tell you, it was one of the most scary things I have EVER been through. I had a boyfriend who walked away from the situation and I was stuck in a place I desperately didn't want to be and I didn't want to tell my own mother, for fear of disappointment. Luckily, in my case, it was all due to stress.

It must take a hell of a lot of courage for these girls to even show up at school pregnant. And hey, they're going to school. Something good has to be said about that.

CoachKatie said:
I'm 19. At 17, I had a pregnancy scare (a three month long one!) and let me tell you, it was one of the most scary things I have EVER been through. I had a boyfriend who walked away from the situation and I was stuck in a place I desperately didn't want to be and I didn't want to tell my own mother, for fear of disappointment. Luckily, in my case, it was all due to stress.

I think that's one of the problems with teenage pregnancy. The girls think the guy will stick around. It's the naive "oh we have a baby, he'll have to stay with me and love me now." It's much easier for a teenage guy to bail on a pregnancy (even with the financial obligation) than it is for a girl, and a lot of girls realize that too late.

I was recently talking to my younger sister about this. She's 3 years younger than me, and while I can't think of one girl who had a baby in my class, dozens in my sister's year have babies. I see her friends that are 21 with 3, 4, 5 year olds with no support from husbands or boyfriends, and I'm sad for them.

jillybean307 said:
I think that's one of the problems with teenage pregnancy. The girls think the guy will stick around. It's the naive "oh we have a baby, he'll have to stay with me and love me now." It's much easier for a teenage guy to bail on a pregnancy (even with the financial obligation) than it is for a girl, and a lot of girls realize that too late.

I was recently talking to my younger sister about this. She's 3 years younger than me, and while I can't think of one girl who had a baby in my class, dozens in my sister's year have babies. I see her friends that are 21 with 3, 4, 5 year olds with no support from husbands or boyfriends, and I'm sad for them.

Haha, believe me, it was NOT at all intended. I was absolutely shocked at the way he treated me... I'd known him for YEARS been with him for a year and he was *prince charming*... or not. Haha. I actually didn't even want to tell him what was going on with me until a friend convinced me to (it's only fair). But yes, in most scenarios I do believe young girls get the false belief that a baby will gain you love from some guy.

It's actually kind of ironic that this topic came up. When I was leaving my business class the other day there were a few girls from my class walking in front of me. I'd say they were... 20-22 in age. One was talking about how she had an 8 year old at home and was like, "Yea... I was 13! hehehe!!" and she was almost bragging about it to these other two girls and then one of them started talking about how just this last summer she had lost a baby (sad, yes) but then she was laughing about how she went about telling her boyfriend about the pregnancy. I must say, I was thoroughly disgusted. :confused1:

It must take a hell of a lot of courage for these girls to even show up at school pregnant. And hey, they're going to school. Something good has to be said about that.
I'm not impressed and I don't admire them for having "courage." They wouldn't be in that situation if they abstained from having sex. Forget using condoms, they need to just stop having sex for a myriad of reasons. Its rather disgusting really seeing so many teens pregnant these days. But its equally annoying seeing so many people pregnant who aren't married. What kind of example are the ADULTS setting for the kids when THEY are having sex without condoms and aren't married? You can't expect the kids to buy the whole "do as I say and not as I do" argument.

i can still remember conversations i had with my friends when we were in highschool about the "pulling out" method. so ridiculous.
its the guys who truly believe that they know what theyre doing.

I could never understand why a girl would want to get pregnant in high school. That's a time for having fun, learning, and enjoying yourself – not being burdened down with responsibility. Any teen who is getting pregnant and not aware of the severe handicap it puts on their life is delusional. Not to mention the fact that they are not emotionally and financially ready for a child in the first place.

Also, 45% of girls pregnant in any school seems insane. Almost 1 out of 2... Damn.

I'm not impressed and I don't admire them for having "courage." They wouldn't be in that situation if they abstained from having sex. Forget using condoms, they need to just stop having sex for a myriad of reasons. Its rather disgusting really seeing so many teens pregnant these days. But its equally annoying seeing so many people pregnant who aren't married. What kind of example are the ADULTS setting for the kids when THEY are having sex without condoms and aren't married? You can't expect the kids to buy the whole "do as I say and not as I do" argument.

Oh, I definitely agree. However, in my opinion, there are many girls who don't continue their educations and if a girl gets pregnant and continues school, I definitely give her props. Nowadays even if parents/adults leave some sort of example... it's rarely paid attention to. Having sex is a personal decision and it should really be thought over. It's just not the way it is and it will never be that way. Abstain if they want to, but protect themselves if they choose to have sex is what I say. There's no age to start having sex and if someone gets pregnant because of their choice to do so, it's on them... not anyone else.

Well here's my take:
I don't think you need to be married to have a baby...it's 2006 and ALOT of woman have babies and are not married...marriage is not a prerequisite for childbirth. Is it easier financially to be married and have a kid? Usually. But not necessary. Approximately 50% of marriages end in divorce anyways.....so being married doesn't guarantee that the child is going to have a stable home environment anyways.
Or let's say Jane gets pregnant....and John decides "well I should marry her, it's thwe right thing to do" GEE...there's a marriage that's going to last!
So many people get married because of a pregnancy and end in divorce...which I think messes up a child even more than not having a Dad around.

Regarding teen pregnancy:
Part of my horrible job (that I posted in the contest thread) was to do home assessments of teenage moms and their child. The child is a toddler. I have seen both good and bad. I've seen moms who have dropped out of school and are 16 and pregnant with baby #2...they have no clue what is developmentally good for their child, etc.
OTOH I've seen 16 year old Moms holding down a job, going to high school full time, and raising their child (yes....the grandparents usually babysit). Kudos to them!

What do I think should be done:
Education in school should be mandatory....schools need to stop shying away from these sensitive topics,...kids are having sex!
Schools should not kick out mothers who are pregnant....public education is meant to be for everyone (I can understand those policies in private schools)
Public schools should provide services for pregnant moms (i.e. daycare services & parenting classes).
My high school in Canada has a fabulous program (I'm sure it's better in the 10 years since I graduated). Moms stay in school until childbirth attending mandatory parenting classes....teaching them how to change a diaper and everything else you need to know. After birth their child is allowed to be brought to the school daycare. the mother is required to visit the child during breaks and lunch...and one of their classes everyday is spent with the child learning parenting techniques.