Is anyone a LAB TECH?

1. I am seeking for info on lab tech.--within any field--(I am open)

I have no idea where to start for this and would greatly appreciate if there are any lab techs on here, if you can spare me some info on what type of schooling I need to complete and etc.

Please please! :smile:

Thanks in adv.

2. It really depends on the kind of lab tech you're talking about... I work in a genetics lab.

but there are lots of kinds.

3. I am not a lab tech, but i have a friend who is. It really depends on what kind of lab you want to work in / what type of work you want to do.

4. Well, since you said any field, I'll just give you a quick summary of what I do.

At the research center where I work, there are 3 levels of techs. In bigger labs, they will need a lower level tech and most of the work is ordering and prepping (making solutions, pouring plates, etc). For this, you need at least a couple of classes in chemistry or biology. Or else you need to be able to prove you can handle figuring out molarity of solutions and things like that.

A level 2 still does the ordering and stuff, but also is in charge of more complicated tasks. For example, I think many of the level 2s near me manage the mice- breeding and determining genotypes. I'm not really familiar with this, because there weren't many level 2 jobs available when I applied so I didn't read many descriptions :smile:

A level 3 is what I do. I work in a fairly small lab so my time is about 50/50 ordering and upkeep/ doing experiments. So far most of my experiments have been tied to other people's work (if they are going to put out a paper and need to show some little fact, I'll run the experiments) but I've been able to have a lot of input on what types of things I work on. My lab does both neuroscience and development, and so far I have preferred the development aspect. I also present scientific papers in our weekly journal club and give presentations in lab meeting showing what progress I've made in my experiments just like a grad student would. I've also been able to take grad level classes because I have a really flexible work schedule. I love it- if I have a dentist appt I can just go and then work a little late to make up for it. It sucks when its sat night at midnight and you need to check an experiment... but that also means that monday morning you can sleep in and come late!

I have a bachelors of science in biology and had also completed an internship before I got my job. Also when I went to my interview I really clicked with the lab members that I met. But I also know a few techs who weren't biology majors but had taken a few classes who were able to get their jobs and work their way up.

Its a really great place to work if you are interested in going to grad school but maybe your grades weren't the best or you weren't actually a science major. It gives you experience that will help you get in. Also, if you're lucky you'll be able to start taking classes to prove you're capable of doing that level work to the schools you're applying. And depending on the type of lab you work in, you may even help publish papers with your lab, which is a GREAT thing.

phew. that was long, and I probably forgot a lot or gave you tmi... but lemme know what you need to know!