Is anybody a personal banker?

1. I got a job offer doing this and I really can't say I know much about it. It is a huge reputable bank and I am interested. But I am turned off by the fact that it is a sales position... just don't know if I am cut out to do it all day and night, being paid solely based on commission. From what I understand from the recruiter, how well personal bankers do in their careers vary enormously.

Are you a personal banker? Or do you have one? Do you enjoy your job? What are the pros and cons?

2. forever21,

Even though this post is now ten months old, I'll go ahead and give my $.02 worth, anyway. I now have thirty years' experience in tellering and personal banking. I never went to college, so my education has come from OJT. Now I realize a degree can't hurt, but it's not required.

I didn't like the teller side, but I love selling. Most of my time has been in banks, but I've worked in a credit union for the past eight years and prefer it over banks.

I routinely sell more than $1 million worth of credit union products each month. The secret to selling, for me, has been through establishing relationships with my customers, or as we say in the credit union, members. And to establish those relationships requires patience, persistence, and a positive attitude.

Success as a personal banker takes time. It won't happen overnight; nothing worthwhile does. If I had to narrow it down to one key characteristic, I would say that success comes from excellent, outstanding customer service. I'm talking about the kind of service that is above and beyond that which is normally required to do an average job. Not everyone is willing to put that much effort in their jobs.

I see this everyday in the CU where I work. My co-workers either don't or won't put forth the effort. We're paid an hourly wage plus commission. I top out nearly every month, and my co-workers don't. And I'll tell you that professional jealousy does exist.

New, inexperienced PBs come into this business, see my numbers, and think they can match them. But they can't, and then they wonder why. I tell them it takes time to build a clientele. They're impatient and won't take the time to do the extra work required to extablish the personal relationships with members.

I have members who follow me every time I change branches. I'm now working in my third branch, and I still have members coming to me from my first branch. I live in a city with a population of about 750,000 people. So these members drive the extra miles it takes just to have me as their personal banker. That makes me feel really good.

I don't know if I've helped or hindered you, or if I've addressed your question satisfactorily. Just remember: Excellent customer service.