Is 19 too young for a Birkin/Kelly?

I started not 19 but later in college, and I still regret the money spent on throwaway seasonal fashion before Hermes.

Start as early as possible, it takes time to find what you really love of all Hermes bags.

If you were my daughter I'd say sure, if you can pay for it yourself and school at the same time! Age aside, you need to consider if either style suits you for your life now. Handheld tote for school/work papers at a school or job where an expensive bag is the norm? Birkin may be fine. Lifetyle that allows leisurely opening and closing of a dressy bag with fussy closure? Kelly may be right for you. Neither lifestyle? Keep looking, other H bags, other brands. A birkin is not a good investment if you cannot use it, even if you got it before the next price increase.

as long as you like the bag, then i think you can wear it at any age. since you're young, you should get a birkin with a more pop youthful color. fuschia, blue jean, etc would look gorgeous on you =).

i think so. i am glad i didnt buy anything very expensive when i was 19, because my tastes have changed so much....i would have picked a black birkin (size 35) with silver hardware when i was 19, now that would be my least favourite combintaion

19 is not too young, per se. As everyone has said, it really depends on your lifestyle and circle of friends.

At 19, I was in college and knew that most of the people there were on some kind of scholarship/student loan. I know that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a birkin (lets face it, most people DO know what a birkin bag is) as it would have been inappropriate.

My brother was in a circle of friends in his college which was international and very moneyed (one member was actually quoted in the local paper to say that if he really pushed, he might be able to get by on $40,000 a year of allowance...this was in the 90s). H was quite common amongst the girls, but so were Ferraris for the boys.

I don't think it's too young.
If you love it and can afford it without getting into any financial worries.

I'm 17, and buy Chanel (love the structure of flaps..), and I have been developing a great sense of appreciation for Hermes.

Lifestyle is very important. Where/When are you planning on using this bag? I think it is unsuitable for work and school of course. Keep that in mind.

If you really love them though and totally want one, then go for it.

Do you have anything else by Hermes?

I believe my first Hermes leather purchase will be a wallet of some sort! :yes:.

hey girl i think it's great that you're starting young. i'm a couple of years older than you, and i just got my first birkin. i think you should definitely try both the birkin and kelly on first, see which one looks best on you, and rock it! good luck!!!

Just get what you really want not because the kelly / Birkin are the most popular bags. Get a bag you can actually use that fits your lifestyle.

i just started on Hermes and my first choices are the Lindy and the Evelyne.

not to be judgemental but i hope you already have your priorities set before laying aside finances for this bag.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply ladies, school was crazy but now I'm free as a bird on spring break, yay! :yahoo:
I do have my priorities set, honestly, if I had to pay for school and if I had to work and if my dad had to work multiple jobs just to keep the family together, I would certainly not even think about getting any designer bags, let alone an Hermes ;)

I like the Kelly and the Birkin because I think they're timeless and elegant and its subtle without blinging, which is a nice change from the usual logos, etc.

Thanks for your input though! :smile:

I agree with your friend, it's never too early to start a good investment !
Then you'll have to go for an Etoupe or Black 35 cm Birkin with palladium if you intend to get out in a short term, if you are a long term girl, go for a crocodile Kelly in any color, or for any bag ( Birkin or Kelly) in a bright red, any hardware !!!;)

More seriously, make sure you buy the bag you really like and that fits your life style..that's the best way to start off your collection :yes: As other members say, take your time .... May I suggest you to watch the action thread here....it is a very instructive way to build your own taste. There are all kinds of ladies there posting pictures of their outfits and bags, in the most genuine way....

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I might be 19 but you wouldn't be able to tell if you see me. I think I'm mature for my age, especially living downtown first year of university, I don't really see much people my age so I hang out with a lot of older people and I've been very blessed and fortunate my whole life where I haven't had to work a day in my life and I went to a private high school where designer bags are in the norm so getting an Hermes isn't too much of a big deal for some people, one girl carried the Garden Party bag to school but I would like to invest on a 'classier and more elegant' bag such as the Kelly or the Birkin so I can keep it forever and ever and treat it with love and respect :graucho: I definitely want a pink ostrich Birkin for my 21st! But til then, it would be nice to start with a normal plain one just as you suggested ;)