IRATE! I just got a spam text message to my phone!

1. OMG I just got a text message from some funky e-mail address to my cell phone that was some kind of spam, saying visit such and such a website to find the perfect xmas gift! How is this possible? Does that mean this is going to start happening all the time? I've never gotten something like that before, and how is that allowed? I am soooo pissed... I get enough junk in my email and I can't have this happening to my cell phone, too!
  2. I got that once too! It was an isolated incident and it never happened again. I do wonder how they got my # though.
  3. This makes me so paranoid... I don't usually get easily upset like this, but it will drive me crazy if my phone keeps getting messages like that. I don't want to have to change my number.
  4. I got something liket his before too!
  5. I just filed a complaint with the fcc!
  6. i tried using 1800free411 and they sent me one on accident. i never got on again.
  7. I was getting spam texts from Discovery Channel like every single day. I never, ever signed up for anything and I never give that number to anyone besides CLOSE friends and family...

I kept replying "UNSUBSCRIBE!" and "TAKE ME OFF THIS LIST!" to the number and they didn't listen, so I started sending REALLLLLLY nasty emails to Discovery Channel corporate. I had been getting the texts for months, but within 3 emails they stopped for good :shrugs:
  8. You can try calling your cell phone company and asking them to block that number. In the future, you can sign up for grandcentral or another online voicemail service for online websites instead of your real phone number to avoid spam. Hope you don't get them any more!
  9. I just got one saying "Attn Loan Customer: Get up to 1500 deposited into your account in less than 1 hour! Act now!! Visit XXXXXXXX"

How in the heck?!?!?!?!
  10. On my phone if you get a text message you don't want, you can select "Option"---"Block address" and it will block it. Haven't had any problems doing it the times I have used it. (Verizon is my carrier)
  11. Have you been holiday shopping and used your credit card in a mall store lately? It is spammers that can access your records through little stores that don't have your cc encrypted. Most big stores are encrypted, but most smaller stores don't because it's too expensive to switch over. Try to use cash when going to smaller mall stores.
  12. ^^ You guys all need to call your cell phone provider and ask the customer service rep to go back and trace where that text is coming from. Have them block any future texts. Especially since those tricky ones could end up costing you. It is also possible that you may have been automatically signed up or your number sold to Third Party companies if you've ever texted (a radio station or to vote for American Idol or Dancing with the Stars although I don't know this is particularly true for these shows) by using your cell phone. Somehow you get signed up for a texting service which also bills you like $10 a month, which your carrier has no power to waive the fees. SO BE CAREFUL who /where/what you text!!
  13. I've only texted my friends, and with my credit cards, they are directed to my home phone number. Texts cost me $0.05 cents each time I receive them, so I have to pay for these ridiculous things that I don't even want. I only got that one so far... I hope no more! I looked around on verizon's website for info on spamming. If I get another one, I will definitely contact them. I hope this was just a fluke.