Introduction and Troubling Proposal from Buyer ?

1. Hi!

I have been lurking around here for awhile and wanted to introduce myself. You ladies always seem to have great advice and now I am in desperate need of some. So here goes.....

Saturday I had a buyer buy a pair of Coach sunglasses I was selling. She choose to buy it now with only a few hours left in the listing. About 4 hours after ending the auction she sends me a message stating she no longer wants the sunglasses and asking if I will cancel her purchase. Understandingly, I was very frustrated, she chose to buy them now, so I didn't have a second chance offer to give anyone. I replied no I would not cancel her purchase and if she choose not to pay I would be forced to leave her negative feedback and file a non-paying buyer dispute with eBay. After this she replies several times about how sorry she is and tells me she doesn't want them b/c she has a newborn baby and now realizes she can't afford them. WHAT! Didn't you know that before deciding to buy them? She now "wants to work something out" and has offered me $10 to cover my expenses for the sale. While this is nice, I feel like if I accept it, I will be doing other sellers a disservice by not filing a dispute with eBay and not leaving negative feedback, so they can avoid her in the future.

So my question is, what would you do take the $ or file a dispute and get nothing?

Thanks for the help :smile:

2. That is a tough one! I've had this happen to me before too, but the reason being was the lady didn't read my listing about the dimensions of the purse. I took her kind offer to let me keep the shipping costs to cover my expenses. I guess whether or not you accept her offer depends on if you think this is a one-time deal thing. If you think she will continue to do this on eBay, maybe it would be better to file a dispute...but I agree her $10 offer is a very kind gesture on her part...which makes me believe that she will not do this in the future.

3. ^ITA!! This happened to me a couple times, but I was too nice so I just cancelled the transaction!! Didn't file a dispute and wasted $$ on the listing!! This happened when I first started selling on *bay! I learned my lesson, NEVER again!!

4. Hmmm...unless she gave birth between the time she hit BIN and her email, she really should have thought this through first!

Anyway, I am not sure what you should do...her $10 offer is nice, so I would probably return the kindness and cancel it. Even if you file a NPB, there is no guarantee that she will pay...this way you at least get $10.

5. I'm sorry this happened to you. I know it is frustrating. I will accept the $10 if I were you.

6. Take the $10. It will cover more than the eBay fees. Don't worry, you have plenty of time to relist it.

7. Take the $10 and relist. While I too like to stand on principle it's just not worth the hassle.

And welcome to tPF!!! :borg1:

8. Welcome to the forum! :flowers:Don't you just love hanging out here!

About your question, I think it is a nice gesture from your buyer to offer you something for your fees. It could have been much worse, a buyer who does not communicate and then disputes the dispute which is a nightmare (and they can leave you feedback btw!) or one that pays and later on files with Paypal. So I would just take her offer of $10, let it go, file for mutual withdrawal so you can get your fees back and go relist your item, this time do immediate payment so you won't have the listing ended by another non-paying bidder. :yes:

9. Well since she was nice enough to cover the fees I would accept and relist. Its a pain but better than a possible neg.

10. She seems like a nice person. I would appreciate her prompt message and take the offer. Some buyers would just not respond for 2 weeks.

11. Take the $10. I know it's a pain to have to relist, but at least it'll pay for your fees from the first time around.

12. I'd also take the $10 but then file a claim to mutually cancel the transaction.

13. :lol:

I agree with everyone else, take the money.

14. If she just had a baby her hormones may be out of alignment. Let her off the hook. (p.s. do file a dispute to close the transaction saying you mutually agree - you get your fees returned and no one gets a strike)

15. :yes: