Insomnia cures???

1. I get bouts of insomnia, even worse when DH is gone, and he is leaving for 2 weeks...anyone have any non drug sugesstions?

2. I'm a terrible insomniac also - especially when my husband is gone. I cannot take an PM medications like Tylenol PM because I just feel too drugged in the morning.

A nutritionist suggested taking magnesium and it really helps! I take 400 mg at night before going to bed. It knocks me out until the morning and I don't feel groggy in the am. The only "side" effect is that you may have a looser bowel movement. If that is the case and it bothers you then take less.

As a positive side effect your calcium absorption will go up. Many people don't talk about the importance of taking magnesium with calcium. Your body cannot absorb calcium without sufficient magnesium.

Good luck - I know how frustrating insomnia can be.

3. ^
    Good to know!!!! Thanks so much! I am totally paranoid about becoming addicted to prescription medicine so I just suffer with my insomnia. I'll give your suggestion a try!

4. What do you do when you wake up in the middle of the night?
    Do you have a television in your bedroom?
    What are your eating and drinking habits?
    What is your "bedtime" ritual?

All of these things and more can be issues with insomnia. I can toss out some suggestions if you'll answer these question.

5. Thanks, I will try this, I know magnesium really helped when I was having heavy periods.

What do you do when you wake up in the middle of the night? Try to go back to sleep...lol...seriously, I try deep breathing, visualization / relaxation techniques...I usually give myself about an hour, then I get up read, putter a bit..try to go back to bed after about 30 -45 minutes. Sometimes those work, most the time they don't.

Do you have a television in your bedroom? No

What are your eating and drinking habits? Usually dinner by 7, once in awhile a snack in the evening.

What is your "bedtime" ritual? Put the kids down, read or watch tv, sometimes a bath.

Thanks!

6. ^^^You're doing the "usual" things correctly. Have you considered getting one of those "background noise" machines? I forget their proper name, but you can set them to make sounds like the ocean, breezes, babbling brooks, etc. They have a calming effect that help some people sleep. Someone I know uses a fan set on low that helps drown out the sound of the things that "go bump in the night" and can contribute to waking at the wrong time. A cup of chamomile tea is also relaxing. Just don't drink too much or you can guess the effect of that. Good old fashioned milk will help as well (as long as it's not chocolate milk!).

One other thing I learned recently is to turn your clock around so you can't see the time. Something about looking at the time makes our brains go "OH NO, IT'S 2AM!" and that can make it more difficult to fall back to sleep.

Last but not least, find the most boring book you can lay your hands on (try Shakespere!) and read that for a while when you wake up. You'll be out until the alarm goes off! :roflmfao:

7. Thanks for the tips...I think I have some 'sleepytime' tea, forgot about that...I will try that, too.

If anyone has ideas, please let me know. TIA

8. I have a "sound machine" from Sharper Image. It works wonders. I think it has about 15 different sounds and is very easy to program to last 15 minute intervals (15, 30, 45, etc...) It also gradually lowers the sound and turns itself off. Definitely worth the money. Go to the sharper image website - I think I bought a refurbished one for $20.

That helps me go to sleep when my husband is gone. The Magnesium keeps me asleep!

9. Exercise really helps me sleep, since the body is tired !

10. Since I started walking in the evening for about a half hour to 45 minutes I find I sleep very well now. But you have to make it a brisk/fast walk...no scenic sunday walk thru the park walk, you have to make it a I have to pee and I need to get home walk...when I cant sleep, its 3 Tylenol PM's and I'm out.

11. I totally agree with the outdoor exercise. I walk for 1 hour (4 miles) with my dog every day, rain or shine. I really need the fresh air!

As for the 3 Tylenol PM's - I'd wake up after a week if I took 3! I take 1/2 and I'm still groggy in the am.

12. I know your feeling. I dont get much sleep during the week when b/f isnt here, but sleep like a baby on weekends .. Its very annoying :cursing: