Ingrown Toenails... ahhh!

1. I have the worst ingrown toenails, that I've tried to ignore :lecture: (before I knew what they were). I've been cutting them under where they should and now I'm trying to help guide them out but on the outside corners of both of my big toe's the skin part has grown together so there isn't a little area for the nail to go out.....:cursing:

Now I have to go see a podiatrist, which I have to see if I need a referral b/c of my insurance and up where I live getting into see a doctor is like pulling teeth, waiting lists or appointments 5 months from now! So good luck to me! If I ever get an appointment they're probably going to cut my skin and sew it together to get that little area for the nail to grow out :wtf:

I hate toenails!!! :cry:

2. Good luck! And I hate toenails too! Well not so much any more but i once had to have a minor surgery because my ingrown toenail went untreated ( i was like 12 and thought putting neosporin on it would make it go away lol) and i had a peice of meat that grew on over my toenail it was very infected and hurt alot! After the surgery and having a big toe wrapped in gauze for weeks now it's all better! I just lost some feeling in that corner of the toe which is weird...but good luck!

3. I had the same minor toe surgery...on both my toes! Ugh, I tried not to do it for a very long time, but after I did I was glad. Never had to worry about an ingrown nail again. The downside is that my nails were left a little thinner than they used to be, but it beats having to feel the pain!

4. Good luck!! I used to get ingrown toenails a lot when I was a kid, but luckily I haven't had any recently!

5. Good Luck.

6. I was an adult before I realized that my in-grown toe nails were something that I didn't have to live with! Both of my big toes needed to be corrected so I had them done by a podiatrist, one at a time. I have to say it was the most painful experience of my life, but so worth it. After a couple of weeks I was "cured" and that was about 25 years ago.

Good luck to you! I hope you enjoy the success that I did!

7. I had the same problem when I was pregnant, good luck and hope you get that appointment

8. Good Luck!
    I use to get ingrown toenails a lot when I was younger, ouch, they are painfull!!

9. I have the same problem. I found that getting regular pedicures (every 2 weeks minimum) with someone who knows how to clean under the nails properly and to trim the nails back (without cutting too much) keeps the pain away. If I miss an appointment, I can get by if I clean the sides of my nails and then take a thin, thin strip of cotton and use a sharp, thin scissor to wedge the cotton under the edge of the nail. It helps prevent the accumulation of skin that can cause the pain and helps the nail to grow out of the nailbed. Always, always disinfect the scissor before you use it and spread some antibacterial ointment over the nail after you're done to avoid an infection.

10. Me too! One got infected and had to be out out, the other fixed itself with some TLC.

The worst part about the surgery is the anethesia shot, once you get that you can't feel it. It does look a little gross afterwards though.

Good luck!

11. i had the same thign in my right toe.. and it started to puss green and it was just gross.. the anesthia shot is HORRIBLE!!! hoenstly.. so painful and then they like dig and take out the root of the nail.. its soo gross.. i couldnt look.. anyway now im fine.. but i do try and get regular pedis just for upekeep

12. I've done the cotton thing, it helps some of the pain.

I've just been soaking my feet with some salt... then disinfecting them after that I put 1st aid ointment and then wrap my toe...

I've heard to soak your toes 2-3 times a day to help soften the skin and help with the pain.. so im going to try soaking more often.... but thanks everyone!

13. OMG! I'm going to die with the shot, I just know it! Hopefully I can just help the ingrown myself but if not off to the doctor i go.... :crybaby:

14. i get ingrowing toenails on my right foot and this might sound gross but tweezer man make slanted toenail clippers and you can use them to cut out the side of the nail to an angle and it relieves them.
    my frinds sister is a pharmacist and she recomended them to me.

15. What exactly does the surgical procedure involve? I've never had mine get infected, but I have considered going to a podiatrist to fix my toes... I have to admit, part of my fear of going is that someone I knew in college had to have his toe nail removed for an ingrown toe nail and it never grew back!!! So I'm afraid of having it removed and never growing back and having a weird looking big toe. He was a guy, so he didn't care as much as I would!