Information about losing weight

1. Hello all,

I am very upset because in the past year, I have put on a lot of weight. I am really unhappy w/ myself this way, and I want to get it off. I was just wondering if some of you could help me out. What is a healthy amount of weight to lose per week? And what is a good work out method? How long do you/should you work out, and about how many times a week?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do this the right way.

2. I don't know much about working out, but I do know that the healthy amount of weight to lose per week is 2 pounds.

3. I going to try the nutri-system diet

4. ^^^Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

5. Well, it also comes down to math (not one of my favorite subjects). One pound = 3,500 calories. So if you want to lose a pound per week you are going to have to create a deficit of 3,500 calories by exercising more and eating less. Try using the website fitday.com or sparkpeople.com for info -- they do the calculating for you.

I also found it helpful to purchase a heart rate monitor. I work out to videos at home, and I have recorded how many calories I burn with each workout on a spreadsheet (LOL, I know). Surprisingly, my workouts that are 40 minutes long have me burning less than 300 calories. So you definitely need to work out a lot in addition to cutting calories.

6. ^^^Thanks for the info, lorihmatthews!!!

7. I think losing about 1 -2 pounds a week is good. I know it sounds like an overwhelming slow process, but I think in the end it's healthiest and more likely to stay off if you take it slow.

Balanced meals, small healthy snacks and exercise are good ways to lose it. The exercise doesn't even have to be strenuous or difficult to have a positive effect. I have always found walking to be ideal.

8. 2 pounds is a good amount to loose per week. Try to exercise at least 5 times a week @ 30 mins each.

9. 1-2 pounds/wk is a ideal. Drink lots of water, too. In terms of movement, one great way to sneak in exercise is to abandon the car and walk everywhere (if possible!). If you're short on time ,you can mix in intervals of high intensity with moderate intensity ie: walk 1 min, sprint 15 seconds, repeat. Good luck.

10. If you're committed to losing weight and keeping it off, there are a few things you can do to help start making progress.

First thing - weight loss is a combination of both diet and exercise. They go hand in hand. You need to figure out how many calories you are going to be eating per day. A good way to figure out how many calories you're eating now is to start a food log. You can either sign up at www.fitday.com and enter your meals for the day and tally the totals electronically, or you can do it the old-skool way and get a small notebook and write everything down, add it up. A lot of people are surprised at how much they consume in a day, when they think they are eating much less.

A lot of people think that eating 1000 calories or less is the way to lose weight. Most people cannot survive on this many calories, especially if you exercise. Sure, you'll lose weight. But you're depriving your body so much that it will eventually backfire, your body will go into starvation mode and will hang onto the body fat it has, because it thinks it's starving.

This is an excellent calorie calculator - http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/caloriesneed.htm Plug in the information and see what it says. For example - I'm female, 65 inches (5'5") tall, 135 pounds, 25 years old and I'm active less than one hour a day, since I work out 5-6 days a week for an hour. That adds up to about 45-50 minutes average exercise for the week. The calculator shows that to maintain my current weight, I can eat 2165 calories per day.

So, as lorimatthews said, one pound = 3500 calories. If I ant to lose 1 pound a week, let's say, Iwould need to cut 500 calories from that 2165, whether it be all through diet, so that my daily intake would be 1665 calories per day, or I can cut 250 calories from that total and burn 250 calories a day through exercise. Or you can cut 500 from your caloric intake and work out, so that you might lose 1.5-2 pounds per week. The best thing to do is listen to your body and see how you feel.

As far as working out goes, cardio can be anything from walking, running, swimming, biking, elliptical, stairmaster, rollerblading - you have lots of options! Pick something fun and stick with it. Do you have access to weights? A balanced workout plan including both weights and cardio, along with a healthy diet is where you'll see results.

11. Thank you so much for all of the info Cristina and lori. This really helps out. Yep, i've been going to the gym...or trying at least. I've started writing out my caloric intake in a little notebook, and though I feel like a goober, I take it to the gym and record exactly how many calories I'm burning (it usually says how many calories you burn on the machines you use) and as for lifting weights, I just try to estimate. We shall see how it works out. THanks again everyone for your imput and responses!!!

12. i would also recommend seeing a nutritionist. they can often help you make a personalized diet plan.

13. ^^^Thanks!

14. 1-2 lbs per week
    60 minutes at least 5 times a week
    drink lots of water
    multi vitamin
    heart monitor
    check up before you start

15. I to gained a lot ofweight this year. I have a closet full of great clothes that dont fit. I started a new med and my bf moved in and I ate what he ate,which was all crap and here I am FAT. Anyway I have started by cutting sugar and all whites from my eating, lots of veggies and lean protien. Low fat and low carb and starting to walk again. ugggggggg I hate this but I'm not gonna give up .Good luck!!!