Indulge my Ebay paranoia, please...

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
I just had a scary thought... I posted this in somebody else's thread but I thought it might get glazed over and I like to humor my paranoia.

What if you pay through Paypal ("Instant Payment"), and the seller waits a few days for the money to clear and then deposits it into their bank account. Then they delete that bank account from Paypal and their Paypal account has $0.00 and they never send the item to you? Can Paypal still get to the seller's funds, or is the buyer out of luck?

I don't know, but if it's an "Instant Payment" they don't have to wait for the funds to clear, only on an e-check as far as I know.

i don't think paypal lets you delete a bank account without adding another one. but i'm also pretty sure if the person took the money out of their bank account there isn't much/anything that paypal coule or would do about a chargeback

I heard the buyer is out of luck =(( But reading through the jean forums, it is best to pay with your credit cards through paypal that way if paypal can't do anything, you can file a chargeback.

Also, I don't think paypal can withdraw funds from the bank account connected to that person's paypal.

"If you bought something on eBay and paid with paypal
1. Try to get a refund by emailing and calling the seller.
2. Do a paypal chargeback. Hopefully you will be able to get your money back. If you win buy no money is awarded you may be able to do a chargeback with your credit card company(usually you have a 90 day window). This is risky however and they may freeze your account.
3. File a complaint with ebay
http://crs.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayisapi.dll?crsstartpage "

it says on the TOS for paypal that they can debit a members bank account for funds if there is a chargeback that they lose and refuse to add funds to their account

mello_yello_jen said:
I heard the buyer is out of luck =(( But reading through the jean forums, it is best to pay with your credit cards through paypal that way if paypal can't do anything, you can file a chargeback.

Also, I don't think paypal can withdraw funds from the bank account connected to that person's paypal.

I think they can withindraw funds from a bank account... I remember them threatening to do that if I didn't refund a seller who told me she never received my item.

Where does the money from a credit card chargeback come from?

SwankyMamaof3 said:
I don't know, but if it's an "Instant Payment" they don't have to wait for the funds to clear, only on an e-check as far as I know.

Sorry, I meant wait for their bank to clear the buyer's instant payment. Wells Fargo always takes about 4 days for the amount to actually fully BE in my account.

IntlSet said:
I think they can withindraw funds from a bank account... I remember them threatening to do that if I didn't refund a seller who told me she never received my item.

I believe the cc companies take it directly from paypal, and then paypal leaves a negative balance in your account (they don't remove funds from your checking account) but if you have any sales or any other type of payments going to paypal, the negative balance will eat up any incoming profits.

IntlSet said:

ohh I never knew that, phew, good thing I learned now before it's too late!

the money from a credit card chargeback comes from your credit card company, they will reimburse you the amount and then take care of the problem. I heard Amex is good with this.

devoted said:
I believe the cc companies take it directly from paypal, and then paypal leaves a negative balance in your account (they don't remove funds from your checking account) but if you have any sales or any other type of payments going to paypal, the negative balance will eat up any incoming profits.

Thanks devoted! That's what I heard from other forums too, I'll do some more research and see if I can bring you ladies anymore info

mello_yello_jen said:
ohh I never knew that, phew, good thing I learned now before it's too late!

the money from a credit card chargeback comes from your credit card company, they will reimburse you the amount and then take care of the problem. I heard Amex is good with this.

AmEx is very good with chargebacks. Someone charged over $400 of junk on the bf's AmEx. They called and e-mailed him because of suspicious activity, and refunded the money back to the card after he called to confirm that he hadn't made those charges on the card :biggrin:

mello_yello_jen said:
Thanks devoted! That's what I heard from other forums too, I'll do some more research and see if I can bring you ladies anymore info

Thanks, Jen! I'm looking, too. I find their help site hard to navigate and they put everything so euphemistically it's hard to tell what they're really saying.

Well, check this out, girls... but it doesnt' say if this is still true in a despute.

help_q.gif
Will PayPal have access to withdraw funds from my bank account without my permission?
pixel.gif

help_a.gif
No. PayPal will only withdraw or add funds with your permission.