Food Indian Food?

Well, being Indian and vegetarian haha, I've grown up eating it. :P The food I'm used to though is not the (sometimes) fattier restaurant food, which is generally Punjabi food. I do love mattar paneer (have for years!), channa masala, methi mattar malai, daal tarka, etc, etc., but would never make this stuff at home... I'd go to my favorite restaurants for it. :love: I love, love South Indian food too, like mysore masala dhosas, and definitely can't cook 'em well... I go out to "Curry Hill" at my favorite place for them.

Things I eat on a usual basis include: soybeans (cooked with Indian spices), cauliflower/potato/peas curry, cabbage/potato, and tons and tons of daal (if you buy this stuff at regular non-ethnic grocery stores, you are getting completely ripped off, so please go to an Indian grocery store!)... I love lentils and all of the 9329382 other types of dried legumes, too. :smile:

I LOVE Indian food. I could eat nan everyday! I have never tired to make my own Indian food (except buying frozen nan from TJ and eating it with hummus), but my favs are: raita, mango lassi, nan, matter paneer, mushroom mattar, and aloo choley.

I live in Cincinnati, and we have an Indian resturant here that all of our consultants at work who are from India say is the best Indian food they have had in the states, so that is usually the only place I go.

I love Indian food. I usually go out to eat it, but I tried making it this week and it turned okay (used kitchens of india paste). I love naan though and won't have the time/patience to make it. LOL my house smells like Indian food now. It really permeates everything.

my niece's boyfriend is southern indian and they found a place near us in atlanta that serves a dish with mashed potatoes that he was crazy for. he was looking around especially for that certain dish. next time they are here we are going to try it with them.

I don't like it, but I do like those potatoes they make I don't know what they're called but they are yummy but the again I do love all potatoes! Other than that I don't like it, I just can't deal with the smell it's too strong for me because they do tend to use a lot of spices.

Love Indian food! I used to think it was gross, but that was just because I had never bothered TRYING it.

I recently tried it a few months ago because there is an Indian Cafe lunch wagon on my university campus. OMG. Chicken curry is craaaaaaazy good.

It's not something I'd ever try to cook on my own though.

I absolutely LOVE it. When I was pregnant with my first, I had some crazy cravings for Indian food. It was all I wanted. My husband can't stand it though so I don't eat nearly as often as I would like. :sad:

LOVE IT!

My favorite is Aloo Ghobi with Naan - soooooo gooood. I love spicy food! I'm experimenting with more dishes to see what else I like. Great vegetarian options too!

My next challenge is learning to cook Indian food!

Any Indians on here with tips on how to keep it authentic?

^ It's fairly easy to cook Indian food once you have the basics down. Lots of onions, garlic, and ginger (if you like it, I don't use it much in my cooking). Always start with those three, sauteed in olive oil , add the spices next. Actually, if you have a Indian supermarket near you, they sell the spices to almost every Indian dish, Aloo Gobi being one of them (chicken tikka, chana masala, etc). They come in little boxes and are about $1-$1.50. So add then in, then cut up your potatoes and let them cook for a few minutes and then add the cauliflower. Cover it and let it cook for like 3 minutes at a time but you have to keep checking on it and mixing because you don't want it to get stuck to the bottom of your pan. Anyways, if you have more questions, PM and I'll give you better directions if I confused you!

Indian is my absolute fave cuisine. Being a vegetarian and loving Indian food makes life easier, which is probably why I dine out at an Indian restaurant at least once a week. I also love leftover Indian for breakfast. Seriously, I love it.

Love it, usually I make it at home, rarely do I eat it at a restaurant. Our friends from that region make great indian/pakistani food so it's exciting when someone is cooking for an event or wedding.