Include salary requrement in cover letter?

1. Just wondering if anyone else has done this... I'm trying to apply to this company that has a listing on Monster.com as well as their company's website. On Monster.com it says to include the salary requirement while on the website it doesn't mention this. I feel like it is coming on strong including it even with slipping in that it was asked for through Monster.com, but I don't want to leave it out entirely because it might look like I wasn't paying attention...

I've never done this before so I'm hoping someone else can give me some input that this is okay to do.

Thanks!

2. I have never stated salary expectations in a cover letter regardless of whether or not they ask for it. I say something like "My salary expecations are negotiable and would be based on the total compensation package including benefits."

3. same as bnjj, I don't include salary expectations as well. There is always a possibility for negotiation.

4. I don't mention it at all in either the cover letter or resume. Not that I've been on that many job interviews, but I've always waited until the interview to discuss that.

5. I definitely wouldn't put that in the cover letter. :nogood:

6. I would not include in any of your application materials, unless the employer specifically requires it. If it goes well and it is a fit, salary will be brought up to you when it is appropriate. Good luck!

7. As a hiring manager, I never ask for it. I also don't give it if I'm the one applying for a position. I think it's fine to indicate that salary is negotiable based on the entire benefits package as a whole.

I will tell you that when someone writes a firm amount down, and it's out of the ball park of what I know I can offer, I put it on the bottom of the pile. I don't want to waste my valuable time interviewing someone that I know I can't meet their expectations with regard to salary.

8. I would include the salary requirement if it mentions it on Monster. Don't write an exact figure, but use a ball park figure like $55,400-61,300.

The reason I say this is because sometimes a companies website can be very limited on what they can put out. Also, at times, they won't even look at your resume without a salary requirement. This is important because if they can't afford you, they wont waste their time interviewing you.

Good luck!

9. I feel like it's really unfair when companies do this, but I've heard that sometimes leaving that information off when it's specifically been requested can be a deal-breaker. That said, I still leave it off and just say "negotiable"- I think sometimes what they want is for you to lowball yourself.

10. It depends, also, on the type of work you are applying for. I spent many years in sales positions, and I did include my salary requirements along with a general total compensation range in my cover letters. That weeded out all the positions with hiring managers who thought my skill set might be worth a whopping 1/3 of its actual market value. :p

11. If it was requested, I would say do include it, but as a wide range, and make it clear that it's negotiable and dependent on benefits and intangibles.

12. I'm in HR for a large company and when we review/hire candidates, salary verification is part of the process for the person to whom we plan to extend an offer. So regardless of whether you include you salary requirements in the cover letter and/or the application, we do ask for current salary verification (copy of paystub, etc). Of course, we don't ask this of every applicant and this is for an office-type position. Not all companies/industries do this.

13. Thanks so much you guys for your input! I ended up leaving it out... but in turn, I also left out "Monster.com" and just referred to having seen the job posting on their website because they did not ask for salary requirements to be included on their website. I figured that would be better to do because I felt like it was hard to lead up to that without it jumping out and sounding demanding, haha.
    I hope they get back to me! I plan to call them tomorrow afternoon to follow up to my cover letter/resume.

14. OOO,very best of luck to you sweetie,I'm keeping EVERY damn thing crossed for you!!xxxxxxxxx

15. That's probably the best choice in this situation. GOOD LUCK!!