In The Quest For Perfection, Do Women loose Their Character ?

1. In the quest for perfection do women loose their character ?

What are your opinions ?

2. i think some women do, but it depends on how you conduct your quest. to me, i'm trying to find the best Amanda that there is, not the best woman, period. for instance, the stereotypically perfect american woman probably has straight hair, but mine is naturally curly and i like that it's different than the norm, so i refuse to straighten it or blow it out with any regularity (the last time i can remember doing it at all was over a year and a half ago).

as long as you're looking for your best self, not just what everyone else thinks is the best, i don't think you lose your character, but i think some women, for whatever reason, cave to social pressure.

3. Yes and No. Some women do get a little carried away and they become caricatures of themselves (or even worse something else). Excessive plastic surgery, constant diets, they never get to love themselves for who they are and all the changes their body goes through, I think they forget who they are and what is important also.

On the other hand, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to improve yourself or your vision of yourself. Whether it's trying a new hair color, new style, new clothes, if you hold true to your values and remain grounded, you're fine.

4. I'd agree with this philosphy too. I never want to get a nose job or cheek implants, for example, even though that's what some people might do if they were me, since I don't have the "perfect" tiny sloped nose, or the full cheeks.

But I do like some of the anti-aging options and other appraches that let me look like myself at my best.

I'm deathly fearful of pain too though, so that puts me off of most plastic surgery, thus I'll probably always have "character":biggrin:

5. Well, I'm not on a quest to be perfect. I just want to be me. My hair has been every color except black. Why? Cuz I wanted to do it. If I change my haircut, I do it for ME, not for my hubby or society or anyone else. My hubby loves me to pieces just how I am, and my friends are going to be my friends no matter what I look like. So I know I haven't lost my character, because I'm not trying to fit in to what society thinks is THE woman. I'm me. I'm short, skinny as hell, flat chested, and I don't give a crap what society thinks of it! :biggrin:

I think as long as someone makes a change for the RIGHT reasons, it's ok. It's when you do something to please someone ELSE that you risk losing not only your character, but your identity altogether. Sure, Angelina Jolie is hot...but if we ALL looked like her, she'd just be another face. I don't want to look like anyone but me.

6. If a woman is looking to be perfect does she have characrter? There is nothing wrong with trying to look your best which to me means clean and well groomed. I mean anyone can iron clothes before they wear them and take the time to do manicures and pedicures. Clean hair and makup if you like doesn't cost a fortune.
    It is the plastic Barbie look that is so popular in Boca, Palm Beach and Jupiter that makes one think of Stepford wives...... too many boob jobs down there..... Having friends who work in fashion they tell stories of plastic surgery gone overboard. I think you can have your own look and be happy. Of course people can always want what they don't have. I have very fine straight hair, it does not hold a curl. My sister in law has beautiful wavy hair with curls. I would love curls she would love to have straight hair. We laugh about this. We also accept that our hair will not change and I will love a straight blunt cut (once my hair grows out). I also feel that one has to be comfortable in their own skin a woman with grace and love for life shows more confidence than a woman who is too busy looking in mirrors. I think there is a lot of peer pressure, media pressure to look a certain way when you are young you can fall in this trap. As you get older you realize that you are your own person and do not have to please anyone but yourself.

7. Some do. I refuse to let that happen to me. What's special about each of us if that we're different with all our flaws.

8. YES! Especially here in the states where everyone is obsessed with having 'perfect' teeth/nose/hair/skin. We are cultivating a society of perfection by wiping out the physical features that makes a person distinguishable and unique.

Some of the women I find beautiful may not have physical perfection, but they have a glow from within: Alfre Woodard, India.Arie, Jill Scott, French actresses Fanny Ardant and Isabelle Huppert, British actresses Helen Mirren, Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Miranda Richardson.

9. I agree! We're losing what made us different from one another, so that we can look like the ideal sterotype of perfection when there really isn't one.I find it scary that kids who are the same age as me are getting cosmetic procedures done at such a young age.I was watching the Style Channel the other day and I saw a 18 year old girl ( same age I am) who was graduating high school and as a graduation present she wanted breast implants because she felt she was too flat.Her mom was actually allowing her to get the procedure done.And at least she was 18, i've heard of girls who are 17 getting the same procedure with parental consent. It's just weird that kids these days don't want cars, or vacation trips as a present but they'd rather have plastic surgery and are asking for plastic surgery as christmas presents,gradation presents, or other important celebrations. :sad: