In the Name of Profit

I too disagree...

if an item disintegrates without you even touching it (or lightly so), then there's a prob... but if you ABUSE your bag, then hey, I can take a pair of skissors and cut up my LV bags then claim that they have no "quality" too. It's just an accessory, they're meant to be used but no way will they be in immaculate condition forever and no one should expect them to be like so. Just because you or I spend X amount of money does not really guarantee the bag will be damage-proof

I highly doubt you even read my initial post.

Vachetta is a natural, untreated leather, period. LV could easily treat it or dye it to make it as impenetrable as the Damier's chocolate leather, but they choose not to as a style choice- the main appeal of vachetta is the ageing process. Obviously LV isn't being greedy since Damier bags cost the same as their mono brethren, so really it's not about cost-cutting at all. Hermes' version of vachetta (barenia) costs a lot more and has the same delicate attributes, so it's not that the vachetta LV uses is low-quality (hell barenia handles are even more likely to turn black from use than vachetta).

All hardware scratches over time, not just LV's (and the problem would be even worse if it were gold plated since it would flake off and look horrible anyway).

I think you make some good points but I still feel LV is one of those makes that will last a lifetime before actually getting damaged. I for one am happy with the vachetta because it ages but even after less than a year the patina is happening a bit too quickly.

I've had my Speedy for a year now and it still looks brand new. My EPI red Speedy is about 14 years old and still looks fantastic (with the exception of a few small scratches on the edges, which is expected). The hardware still looks great and hasnt tarnished very much.

OP, I know what you mean, I also wish that with the price I pay for, I am getting top end stuff but LV is a LUXURY brand, hence, over the top prices for basic materials.

I kind of agree with the OP. But Materals are materials no matter which brand they come from. I just htink LV items may have become more random, more prone to damage than before, maybe not because of bad quality, but because of a sloppier quality control due to trying to fullfill a higher demand?

The gap in quality between the runway stuff and the regular stuff also backs this up imo.

Liberté;4927908 said:
I kind of agree with the OP. But Materals are materials no matter which brand they come from. I just htink LV items may have become more random, more prone to damage than before, maybe not because of bad quality, but because of a sloppier quality control due to trying to fullfill a higher demand?

The gap in quality between the runway stuff and the regular stuff also backs this up imo.

ITA! But I still love LV and think their quality is better than most brands..

i'm happy with my lvs, but now that you've mentioned it, i wouldn't mind if they make the hardware gold-plated like juicy! its one reason i don't think twice on buying a juicy charm that i like, coz its gold-plated and some even have swarovski crystals..

Vachetta is a natural, untreated leather, period. LV could easily treat it or dye it to make it as impenetrable as the Damier's chocolate leather, but they choose not to as a style choice- the main appeal of vachetta is the ageing process. Obviously LV isn't being greedy since Damier bags cost the same as their mono brethren, so really it's not about cost-cutting at all. Hermes' version of vachetta (barenia) costs a lot more and has the same delicate attributes, so it's not that the vachetta LV uses is low-quality (hell barenia handles are even more likely to turn black from use than vachetta).

All hardware scratches over time, not just LV's (and the problem would be even worse if it were gold plated since it would flake off and look horrible anyway).

As usual, a fabulous post :tup: ITA. Although I love the patina, I do hate having to be more careful with vachetta than other materials - so I can empathise with you there Jan! Probably the only reason stopping me from getting the azur berkeley! :P

I definitely agree that vachetta is delicate. I got a tiny drop of water on mine while washing my hands and now that drop sticks out like a sore thumb IMO. However, I am a new LV purchaser and haven't quite 'let go' to let the vachetta do its thing. I have a feeling when I do, after a couple of ungainly 'teenage' experiences it will age beautifully.
As for the other stuff, I agree that you should take it in and have them look at it - let us know what they say!

I left Prada because of defective materials and gave LV a try! I've been hooked on LV since because I saw firsthand, the difference in quality!!! I've been privileged to own 4 LV's thus far and feel great when carrying them!

IMO LV is true luxury in every sense of the word; if you feel otherwise, move on to another brand.:yes: