In memory of Sam, look what the DH and I are doing!

That's sooo awesome! My neighbor's golden retriever is getting certified as well. My neighbor is a children's psychologist so she brings him to her office sometimes and it instantly calms the kids and makes the session go smoother.

Thank you! Therapy dogs are wonderful.

A couple years ago, I was getting preped for back surgery, and I saw a wagon with 2 dogs in it go by my room. I was surprised, and blurted out "Dogs?" The nurse in my room said yes, and went and got the handler and the dogs. I got to have a nice little white dog on my bed with me till I was ready to go to surgery. The nurse said it helps relax patients, and gives them something to think about besides going into surgery.
I was thrilled, but kept telling the nurse that if there was someone that needed it more, they could take my little friend to them. The nurse said I was having back surgery, so I needed him.

I turely believe that therapy animals are very good therapy!
I think you're doing a great thing!:tup:

Thank you guys for all of your support! A week from Saturday is our big day for the pre-evaluation... we have to bring a brush, treats, and a lead. They have teams of dogs already there that are "neutral dogs" that will show whether or not Picasso can interact with other dogs well. They also have handlers that will test him-- how he reacts to loud noises, wheelchairs, pulling on hair, etc. I'm a little nervous! The only thing he really needs to work on is "leave it" for treats... he's just a bit of a piggy :love: That's what we'll be practicing this week. I will bring my camera and show you how it goes! Wish us luck!

yay TTucker! I've often wished i could train my bunnies for it

There are actually two bunnies that come to Hand-in-Paw! They are so sweet, they just sit there and wiggle their little noses in people's laps :tender:

The big test is in 2 days! Wish Picasso luck! He's excited!

P1180135.jpg

WOW! Wishing Picasso luck, as well as his Mommy! ;) I'm sure he'll pass with flying colors!

As you can imagine, I've had therapy dogs brought to my rooms during several of my surgeries as well and I tell you, it so made everything so much easier. I missed my dogs something awful and I felt so lonely... the therapy dogs did so much toward helping with hospital depression!!

I'm thinking about you TTucker and I am positive you guys will do great!!

Tucker, your kindness and generosity has brought tears to my eyes!! :cry: I think it's wonderful that you and your DH are volunteering your time to do something so wonderful. We need more people like you in this world!!!!

Your Sam definitely is mighty proud of you!! :love:

Hey guys!!! Picasso PASSED! I am so excited! :yahoo:

Today was the biggest test and a prelim to the official test that comes in a month. Little guy was really put through all kinds of stuff! They had him do basic obedience (sit, down, stay, etc.), tested him with treats and toys, and of course saw how he was on a leash.

Then they brought in people in wheelchairs and walkers, to see how he would react to that, gently pulled and prodded him (as children may do at the Children's Hospital or at schools), brought in "neutral dogs," had 4 people hug on him at once, used noisemakers to see if that rattled him, etc... he was so wonderful!!! Nothing daunted him and he just kept on smiling. I was SO proud.

My husband and I are training as a team, so I went first with him, then we waited 30 minutes, then my husband did the test again. Now we have about a month of weekly meetings and trainings before he goes through the official test with the Delta Society to become a Hand-in-Paw therapy dog (http://www.handinpaw.org/)

Here are some snapshots from today...
Picasso gets ready:
P2090132.jpg

The DH and Picasso get tested:
P2090134.jpg

P2090135.jpg

P2090136.jpg

P2090138.jpg

P2090141.jpg