In Bruges

1. Bruges, the most well-preserved medieval city in the whole of Belgium, is a welcoming destination for travellers from all over the world. But for hitmen Ray and Ken, it could be their final destination; a difficult job has resulted in the pair being ordered right before Christmas by their London boss Harry to go and cool their heels in the storybook Flemish city for a couple of weeks. Very much out of place amidst the gothic architecture, canals, and cobbled streets, the two hit men fill their days living the lives of tourists. Ray, still haunted by the bloodshed in London, hates the place, while Ken, even as he keeps a fatherly eye on Ray's often profanely funny exploits, finds his mind and soul being expanded by the beauty and serenity of the city. But the longer they stay waiting for Harry's call, the more surreal their experience becomes, as they find themselves in weird encounters with locals, tourists, violent medieval art, a dwarf American actor shooting a European art film, Dutch prostitutes, and a potential romance for Ray in the form of Chloë, who may have some dark secrets of her own. And when the call from Harry does finally come, Ken and Ray's vacation becomes a life-and-death struggle of darkly comic proportions and surprisingly emotional consequences

(from imdb)

I don't normally like bang, bang, shoot-em-up movies, but there was something about this one I was drawn to. I'm really glad I saw it. Yes, there was some shooting involved. That's to be expected, considering the story centers on two hitmen, but there was so much more to it than just a bang, bang, shoot-'em-up movie.
  2. Jimmy: She's ain’t my girlfriend. She's a prostitute.
    Ken: I am not aware that there are any prostitutes in Bruges.
    Jimmy: You just have to look in the right places. Brothels are good.

Harry's Wife (after hearing him take his rage out on the telephone): Harry, it's an inanimate object!
    Harry: YOU'RE a f:cursing:cking inanimate object!
  3. I'm looking forward to this movie too!
  4. I found myself sitting in the movie thinking, "I really like this!" I was also thinking that a movie like this would definitely be up Vlad's alley!
  5. I thought I'd resurrect this, since In Bruges is an Oscar-nominated movie this year . . .
  6. I didn't realize there was a thread on this. I picked up the movie a few months back because I spend 2 years of HS in Belgium & was really blown away. I thought is was a fantastic movie. I usually don't like black comedies, but the dialogue is so human an funny that is really keeps the bleakness of the main story in balance & bearable. It would have been really easy to make this movie heavy & then I would have watched in once & probably not seen it again like I do with many heavy dramas. As it is, though, I keep trying to get other people to watch this movie.

My hubby actually got 2 other people in on the 'Race War' discussion one day. Very funny - if a bit twisted - stuff.

It would be great if it won against Wall-e, Disney/Pixar often wins in their nominated categories...
  7. Oh my God I'd love to go to Belgium.
  8. ^ Belgium is so much better than it's reputation. It's worth a visit.
  9. ^^we went to Belgium. Beautiful country. Bruges is a very quaint little town.. it was neat watching the movie and seeing places we visited. (much less exciting when we were there though... lol).
  10. I loved this movie, but of course, I love black comedies. I'm weird that way.

Can't beat that cast, either...
  11. It's a bit too suger sweet for my taste. All that lace :smile:
  12. DH picked up the movie coz I'd been telling him how much I loved Bruges, and I'd like to visit again with him. I absolutely loved that movie. Colin Farrell was funny. Without spoiling the plot, I have to say though there were a couple of scenes I just couldn't watch.
  13. i kinda liked this movie not in my favorites but it was interesting in a way, and also a fair movie at the end and very cool characters it makes u enjoy it. it gets crazy too lol.
  14. I loved this film, it was so funny. Nothing like a good black comedy. Colin Farrell was perfect in this, i'm not convinced about his acting skills in general, but in this he was great as was a scene stealing Ralph Fiennes.
  15. Great film. Saw it when it first came out and had no idea what to expect except that I thought it was going to be funny. Who knew it was "dark funny"?! The second time around I liked it even more. But parts of it (especially the end) made me sad...:crybaby: