Important News for Expectant Mothers and Babies who use bottles

1. Hello TPF Friends,
    I thought I'd take the opportunity to share some concerns to mothers-to-be about baby bottles that contain a chemical, Bisphenol A (BPA). I encourage new parents to read up on the link below if you are not informed about the side effects of BPA as it leaches into your infant's milk. There are many thoughts on BPA-bottles. However, because most of the companies aren't BPA safe or free, there is a lot of controversy to the study that was performed this year in February. Because I'm a parent, I'd rather not take the chance to leave it up to the big companies to decide what's safe for my child (ex: Mattel : Toys containing lead that were made in China).

Plastic baby bottles are typically manufactured using polycarbonate, a material that is very easily molded and nearly unbreakable. But when liquids are heated inside these bottles, the polycarbonate releases the toxic bisphenol-A (BPA), which mixes with the formula or breast milk and is then ingested by the baby.
    BPA exposure has been linked to cancer, impaired immune function, early onset puberty, obesity, diabetes and hyperactivity.
    The study performed by Environment California found potentially harmful levels of BPA in the five bottle brands they tested:
    • Avent
    • Dr. Brown’s
    • Evenflo
    • Gerber
    • Playtex

I hope this information helps you decide to make the right choices for your child from the beginning:heart: .
    There are new BPA-free products that are relatively new in the market: "Born-Free" bottles, Medela bottles, and also glass bottles made by Evenflo.

You can find out more information on this link:
  2. thanks for the info. Very interesting.
  3. Thanks for the info. I actually read a few articles on this previously and switched to Born Free bottles and sippys (son hated the bottles so we're now using the Medela bottles that came with my pump). Anyway, it's important info.
  4. Thanks for the info. We've been using Avent bottles to freeze EBM since they're larger, but we'll start using the Medela ones that we've got. I guess that way I won't have to transfer from the bottle that's attached to the pump to the Avent ones
  5. thanks! that's exactly why my parents bought all the baby bottles overseas for us because they are made out of glass.
  6. Yikes, I am off to buy new bottles today. I used Avent with my 2 kids:sad:
  7. We use(d) Avent but we never heated the milk or formula - just room temperature.

8. Wow--thanks for the info! That pretty much limits the big brands....
  9. I use Avent for my son but never heat the milk. He is on whole milk now and he likes it cold. So, if you don't heat the liquid in the bottle, then u don't have to worry about Bisphenol?
  10. Wow. I am going to get new bottles tonight! My baby doesnt like bottles that are just luke warm.
  11. Ladies, I suggest you all to buy glass bottles-then you wont have to worry about a thing.
    "Recommendations For Parents At Home
    • Use glass to heat food or liquid in the microwave. You should not heat food in plastic containers or on plastic dishware, or heat liquids in plastic baby bottles. Heating food and liquids in plastic containers can cause chemicals and additives in the plastics to leach out more readily—right into baby’s food and milk. While some plastic containers are marketed as “microwave safe,” it is safest to avoid them for heating.
    • If you do use plastic bottles, containers, or dishware, avoid harsh detergents or hot water when washing them to reduce exposure. Do not put plastic bottles, containers, or dishware in the dishwasher. Also, throw out any plastic bottles, containers, and dishware that start to look scratched or hazy. Do not let milk sit for long periods of time in plastic.
    • Avoid letting your child put plastic toys in his/her mouth. Toys designed for older children are more likely to contain phthalates or bisphenol A. It is assumed that young children will not mouth these toys—such as action figures and Barbie dolls. To be safe, keep all plastic toys out of children’s mouths. Call the manufacturer if you want to know if a product contains phthalates or bisphenol A."
  13. I switched my daughters bottles and she is having an absolute fit!! I hope she gets used to it because she's not getting it back.
  14. Here's a recent article printed in LA TIMES (Sept 10, 2007) that discusses harmful side effects to plastics that contain pthalates and BPA.

"Last week, the state Legislature passed a bill to ban certain phthalates in plastic items meant for children younger than 3."

Plastic may not be so fantastic for kids
    There's growing unease among parents and experts about the potential effects of plastic chemicals on the young.
    September 10, 2007,1,4895907.column?page=2&cset=true&ctrack=1