Ikea.

Ikea is great, I love their textiles and bedding. I have the duvet that is white cotton with different colored leaves on our bed. I also like their lighting a lot, we have two lamps in our living room and also two of the ektorp chairs. But you have to pick and choose- some of the stuff isn't that great. I was able to buy a vintage Danish modern dining room set in mint condition for the same price that the Ikea upper-price Chinese pine set cost.

Sorry, I'd rather have nothing in my apartment than furniture from Ikea. Definitely not a fan! I'd rather spend a little more for a piece I love and is of better quality.

I love love love Ikea... I live about 5 mins. away from Ikea :biggrin: And right at the checkout counters, you'll find all those yummy junkfood. Sometimes DH and I would just swing by to buy those huge candy bars ahahahahhaha

It's Mono Density Fibreboard.....vile stuff! It's carcinogenic which is why even if you are cutting it outdoors you have to wear a mask. The glues they use in it are highly toxic and the factories that manufacture it pump loads of crap into the environment.

I believe that MDF can only be sold in ready made or flat pack furniture in the US and can't be sold in hardware stores to be used by builders etc.

Here's some info off the web about it:

MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde

HAPPY FUN BALL!!! BUY ONE TODAY!

Were you really happy with the bunks? I've always wanted to do that - but I know some are so flimsy - there's one where the person on the bottom wouldn't even be able to sit up in bed but of course, that's good for the person on top because they're not too high up - and then there's one (I think it begins with an "H") that looks much nicer, although the wood is a little darker than I had wanted. Just thinking.....

We bought a full sized bunk bed frame with the top bunk immediately over the bottom (not at a right angle to it like some styles). It was unfinished wood, but solid, and has a built-in ladder that goes up the foot end of the bed. In it's original form it would have been too tall for the person on the top bunk to sit up in bed, but my dh just cut the posts to allow for a reasonable amount of room on the top. Of course, that might not be an issue for homes with tall ceilings!

I am quite happy with them so far. My boys are only 7 and 4 (almost 5), though, so there isn't a lot of weight on them yet. We painted the frame and while it isn't fancy or high profile, that's OK. Dh is 6'8". so we knew we couldn't have twin beds, and we wanted something that wouldn't be ruined if we later had to remove the footboards! Ikea fit the bill! I'll look online and see if I can find the one we bought (though we bought it about 4 years ago).

I love Ikea. A lot of their stuff works well with my house because it's contemporary, although some of their things get flimsy after a while. My parents usually go there for couches, chairs, bedding etc.

I've never actually bought any from it (the nearest store is about an 8hrs drive away). What I CAN tell you though, is to stay away from their credit card!! I know I shouldn't be badmouthing the company that fed me during the year and a half it took me to find a career job, but it really sucks. They pull all kinds of tricks to give you late fees and such.

We like IKEA because we have pets in our house and I would worry if I had expensive furnitures... We let our cats jump up on desks, tables all the time... I know the quality is not great, etc. but IKEA has worked for us.