If you could pick 2 bags to carry...

lawgirl

O.G.
Oct 17, 2006
Hi, I'd really like to buy 2 classic bags, one black and one tan/beige, to go with everything. I'm so tired of thinking about and debating bag purchases. Would like to buy 2 this year and be done with it!

I'm heading into my late 30s ... I like designer bags that are high quality but not necessarily the "it" bags that everyone carries. My style is simple... I'm a lawyer but not working. I'd carry the bags out to lunch, to school meetings, errands, etc.

I'd really appreciate suggestions! I'm open to any price point. If I could I'd love to have a black and beige Birkin, but that's not possible! And also not the image I want to give off...I dress simply.. solid colors, lots of black and navy and like brands like a Theory, dvf, Joie, etc.

Please suggest away!

Currently my 2 favorite bags are my Bottega Veneta Medium-size Double Chain Tote (12.6” x 9.4” x 4.7”) and my small Fendi By The Way (11” x 7” x 5.5” with a 42” detachable strap). I love these bags for everyday because they are versatile and incredibly light weight and high in function.

I normally go for bags that have a top handle with a detachable cross-body strap because I feel the need to be hands-free, and I was initially worried about the Bottega Veneta double straps and whether they would stay on my shoulder, but I haven’t had a problem as long as I tuck the outermost strap under the strap that’s closest to my body.

As for the By The Way, it’s incredibly roomy for a small bag, but it’s also available in a larger size. Mine is red, so I’m attaching a pic from the Fendi site. The original Turtledove color was gorgeous (check out the thread in the Fendi subform http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/anybody-who-is-buying-or-has-bought-the-by-the-way-bag.870621/)—I’m not positive the current color they carry is what they call “Turtledove,” but it looks similar.

View attachment 3501871 Fendi By The Way small.png

Have fun choosing and keep us posted! :smile:

Attachments

• BV medium double chain.png
    BV medium double chain.png
    1 MB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Do you have any preferences for bag shape? That can help narrow down the many recommendations you'll likely get.

Personally, I find that the Celine Phantom is always a good look. It is on the heavy side though so if you plan on doing a lot of walking, it can become uncomfortable. The Saint Laurent Sac De Jour is also a lovely structured bag that translates well for work or play and love it. It's heavy as well but it has a shoulder strap that helps.

I'd also recommend the Celine Belt. I like the look whether one is dressed up or down. If you're looking for a hobo, consider the Veneta bags from Bottega Veneta. They also have their Accordion totes. There's also the Diorever bag from DIor.

And, you mentioned you didn't want a Birkin but have you considered a Garden Party from Hermes? I'm not a Prada fan, but some of my friends are partial to their totes.

Good luck.

Reactions: prepster
Valextra Twist 3 Small in Oyster: Small tote, casual but not sloppy, all-season.
Valextra Iside in Black: Structured, ladylike, great with jeans or into evening.

Great name, under-the-radar, no visible logo, but anyone who knows bags will know these icons, impeccable quality, leather interiors, matching SLGs.

Most of my wardrobe is simple like yours. Blacks, grays, navy. Equipment, theory, uniqlo, etc.

My everyday go-to bags are:

Black Classic balenciaga city
LV SpeedyB 25 in monogram

I work and have kids so I prefer top handle AND a shoulder or crossbody option.

I would love a Chanel jumbo but I question its place in my very casual and very busy lifestyle.

I also considering a second SpeedyB except in damier ebene.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
i agree w/others... narrow down your preference by style type at the minimum - tote, crossbody, shoulder carry, covertible, mini, etc. that might help people offer better suggestions for you. i admire any woman who can just own 2 bags!!:smile: i have like 50+ and believe it isn't enough

Good Question - I too am trying to decide between 2 styles of bags. I really like the Chloe bags to start out with. think I am going to go with a Tan Marcie (as more jeans/blazer weekend look) and then perhaps a drew that can fit into my totes with my laptop. My current question is that I have about a 3K budget (I was just going to start with one) which won't buy both of those new but I Iove both of the styles - so I curious about buying the marcie preowned and the drew new (in either the motty gray or a blush. If anyone has feedback - would love to hear thoughts.