If you could create your dream handbag... ?

1. Hello all! This is day 1, first post for me, and I have a pretty ambitious topic for you to consider. As an introduction, I am a 27 year old mechanical engineer/product designer recently tasked (given the dream job, imo!!!) of designing my own line of handbags.

...!! Yeah. It's incredible, it's an enormous undertaking including massive amounts of market research, statistics, fashion analysis, surveying, etc. All of which would be great if there was a traditional company backing to provide this, but as it stands, it's... little me. And two others who are my financial backing/ engineering/ manufacturing/marketing/management support.

I've been spending the past few weeks pulsing every single female I've come across, and now I'm looking to expand my questions here. I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful, detailed feedback, and look forward to getting to learn about you and your deepest, most passionate loves about purses!

Our goal: to provide a handbag (or rather, line of handbags, ranging from clutches to hobos to backpacks) that allows the consumer to personalize it with customizations. This philosophy is called "mass customization", and the guy I'm working for is one of the founders of this concept. In an online setting (e.g. NIKE iD, one of his brainchildren), the consumer gets to choose color, logos, accessories (e.g. cell phone holder for a messenger bag). I'd like you to consider those, but also go BEYOND those design constraints and tell me what you would want in your dream purse. Material, purpose, hidden compartments, dimensions, anything and everything please!

A few questions that I would love to have you answer (but feel free to answer in any way that you would like) to get your imagination going:

1) What would your dream handbag/purse look like? What would you use it for, and what is its main purpose? (style, function, etc.)

2) Describe a scenario that features you and your dream handbag in action. (nightlife, at the beach, wandering in the mall, etc.)

3) What purse/accessory/haute couteur/fashion house brand do you most associate yourself with, and WHY? (I'm looking for specific elements of the brand that you identify with, what you admire about it, why it represents you).

Thank you so much!! :heart:

~ lauriel

2. Hi and Welcome! :welcome:

For some time, I have liked large, low slung, slouchy hobos and vintage look clutches best. Soft leather, or luxury fabrics, but no fur or reptile skin and no overt logos. I did associate myself most with Chloe when Stella McCartney (I still love Stella's work) and Phoebe Philo were there and I liked Tom Ford's work at YSL, particularly.

I'm now, more than ever, a fashion floating voter! I like Roberto Cavalli and Matthew Williamson very much and I think Alexander McQueen, YSL and Versace's collections were very strong this season. Giles is good, but I was less convinced by his latest collection. Derek Lam's collection and new Ram's Head bag line are also very promising...

I don't really have any scenarios for you, sorry! :biggrin:

Edited to add: Forgot to add that I like wearable works of art. What most of these designers have in common, IMO, is that they are artists, as well as designers.

3. Welcome to tPF!:heart:

My dream handbag would be a cutom made Birkin, with compartments (on the inside) to fit my everyday necessities and an extra shoulder/messenger strap that could be attached to it when needed.

4. chloehandbags: WOW! What a plethora of designers to research, thank you! I've seen the works of ~half of them, but some are totally foreign to me. I definitely anticipate working in leather; could you provide some examples of luxury fabrics?

Good distinction to specify wearable art. That can vary everywhere from unique sculpturesque looks (the bag stands on its own), to fabric/palette/texture variation. Do you gravitate towards any specific style of art? (I'm guessing that some of my questions will also be answered once I do enough research on the artists/designers you've mentioned.) Thank you so much for your informative feedback!

Rose: Thank you also for a warm welcome! And wow, that's quite a bag. :smile: It looks like from your icon that you already have a sophisticated-looking Birkin(?)..! (true?) If you don't mind me asking, what do you love most about it? And what types of "everyday necessities" would you like to see specific compartments for? (meaning, would you want a pocket just for an iPod/cell phone, or do you want slightly larger/universally-sized pockets for categories of items, like cosmetics/papers/jewelry?)

[general note to anyone who may comment: There are so many distinct, personal viewpoints that I'd like to learn about, thus the questions. I really want to understand who I'd like to be designing for.] :o)

5. Hi, welcome to the board. I'm new as well.

1) What would your dream handbag/purse look like? It would have to be a black versatile tote. I would love a bag that I can use everyday in any occasion. I'd also like it to be on the skinny side (doesn't appear bulky) but at the same time capable of holding a lot of things. I'd love it if it had a lot of pockets (to hold change, my cell phone, etc.) Also, it would have a soft leather finish.

2) Describe a scenario that features you and your dream handbag in action: I would love this bag so much that I can bring it to work with me: stylish and professional.

3) What purse/accessory/haute couteur/fashion house brand do you most associate yourself with, and WHY? (I'm looking for specific elements of the brand that you identify with, what you admire about it, why it represents you): I think my small Louis Vuitton bags (like my pochettes) represent me well. I really love my vintage monogram ones, especially, because they're so understated (they don't draw that much attention because they're old) and I can use them for anything.

6. 1) What would your dream handbag/purse look like? It would be made of really luxurious, gorgeous, high quality leather or a striking neutral exotic like the natural-colored Hermes ostrich. The shape would be clean and unfussy, but not boring. I'd rather the lines be interesting than it have a lot of details, strings, embellishments, etc. I like a medium to large sized bag with a handle long enough to go over my shoulder. It doesn't need to have a lot of pockets but it needs to be easy to get in and out of (ie: no buckles to do and undo to open it). At the same time I should be able to close it securely if I want to. As far as color, I am pretty open - I like traditional blacks/browns all the way up to bright yellows and greens. A neutral that's slightly non-traditional - like raisin, dark orange, or pewter - is probably ideal though.
    Overall the look would be classic with an edge.

2) Describe a scenario that features you and your dream handbag in action.
    Well with me the scenario would be one of versatility: I'd use the bag in one day as a carry-all to haul my crap to work, a professional case to bring papers to a client meeting, and then as something chic that won't be out of place when I meet my friends or husband for a drink or dinner somewhere cool.

3) What purse/accessory/haute couteur/fashion house brand do you most associate yourself with, and WHY? (I'm looking for specific elements of the brand that you identify with, what you admire about it, why it represents you).
    At this time I most associate with Marc Jacobs. His styles personify the "classic with an edge" look that I love. I feel that his bags are practical enough to use for day but also hip enough to go out at night. He also uses top quality leather and hardware, which is extremely important. I have loved certain other designers bags in photos only to be very disappointed with their poor quality materials and construction IRL.

Great questions btw! I think you are on the right track with these. Can't wait to see your customizable line when it appears. :yes:

7. 1) What would your dream handbag/purse look like? What would you use it for, and what is its main purpose? (style, function, etc.)

I am looking for a side packish type of bag, one made of a great durable leather, thats nice to the touch, and ages quite gracefully. I like old brass type of look. Something that looks like it would be a great companion for an adventure.

As a everyday bag/going out bag, I would like something classic and a bit edgy at the same time. Sharp looking, like the chanel east west or a black clutch thats an ideal size, a little longer then my body and taller then most. If there was a satchel that looked like one, not as big as they are this season, and could fit comfortably under my arm that would be AMAZING. never found one like that. Also something that could just fit a 3 by 5 agenda, that isnt too heavy or bulky or thin.

2) Describe a scenario that features you and your dream handbag in action. (nightlife, at the beach, wandering in the mall, etc.) Walking in the mall, needs to make a statement when I walk in, to show I'm a potential buyer, out with friends, work, etc.

3) What purse/accessory/haute couteur/fashion house brand do you most associate yourself with, and WHY? (I'm looking for specific elements of the brand that you identify with, what you admire about it, why it represents you). Mulberry because it reminds me of a bag I want when I'm traveling the world. (Which I plan to do soon so I am in the market for such a bag). And Chanel, its classy, sharp, packs a punch with its femininicity, but not overly. No frills or unnecessary additives. It just works. Its the whole package, statement, silluette, streamline, etc.

9. I love it when the larger bags have a separator inside, so it separates a large bag into two sections. the MJ Blake has a great design, but is heavy. i love the look of the hologram spy.

sorry for the random statements, just some quick thoughts :upsidedown:

10. I agree, the Blake is great but heavy. The Botkier trigger is another very handy design and not too heavy in a small (I use one as a camera bag for my Canon rebel).

11. Well, silk and silk velvet, mainly.

Wearable art could mean sculptural and/or surface decoration. It could also mean mixed materials, colour and/or textural variations. I'm very open to new ideas, but I also have very definite opinions about what I do or don't like, once I've seen it (or its design)! Sorry I can't be more definitive.

As I mentioned before, I love vintage and antique designs and decoration in general and at the moment, I particularly love the ornate, Baroque 'n' Roll trend and Greco-Roman type designs and motifs (draped jersey etc.).

I like my clutches to be sculptural and even hard shell; but I prefer my larger shoulder bags to be soft and slouchy (not stand up on their own).

Forgot to mention before, that I also love Bottega Veneta (clothes and accessories) and thought their A/W show was amazing (particularly the taupe dress)!

No problem! :biggrin:

12. Adjustable, cross body strap. No flap. Zipper closure with large, ergonomic pull. Cell pocket, iPOD pocket, pocket for two sets of keys. Zipper back wall pocket. Large open interior with no dividers. Flat bottom with feet so bag stands upright. Leather exterior with semi-firm construction (no slouchy bags). No bling, or excessive metal (makes bag too heavy) but leather tooling would be excellent. Exterior pocket across width of back with magnetic snap to prevent gapping. Large enough to hold book, wallet, glasses, keys, cell phone, iPOD, makeup. Neutral color like tan or black and also red, burgundy, olive and finally in an animal print. Leather should be top notch -- I also like patchwork effect using leather, suede, etc.. I identify with Coach bags -- they are sturdy and come in great colors (like my fushia suede). Coach bags are elegant and functional. Bag should be servicable for everyday wear and travel.

13. 1) What would your dream handbag/purse look like? What would you use it for, and what is its main purpose? (style, function, etc.)
    It would be of medium size: large enough to hold all of my things (which isn't that much) but not as large as some of my book bags. Right now, I really like solid color purses, so all black or blue or green. Main purpose? To survive school and my other activites with me.

2) Describe a scenario that features you and your dream handbag in action. (nightlife, at the beach, wandering in the mall, etc.) Carried to school then to a Key Club function-functional and versatile.

3) What purse/accessory/haute couteur/fashion house brand do you most associate yourself with, and WHY? (I'm looking for specific elements of the brand that you identify with, what you admire about it, why it represents you). I'm not sure I identify with just one main brand. One of my favorites is Coach because ...well, I'm not sure specifically why. I just like Coach purses.