Ideal gift, practical or plain luxury....

1. With Christmas approaching, I just wondered how you guys feel about this; is the ideal present something very useful or something somebody craves for, but just can't bring themselves to buy, because it's just too extravagant?

Growing up I had a mother who was VERY down-to-earth, believed in value for money, but understood the value of quality. She would only buy something we really needed and got the use of. My grandmother on the other hand, knew the joy of luxury (which she passed on to me..) and would always buy me what my heart yearned for, but which I could very well live without..
    Sometimes my mother would hit the roof over the things my grandmother bought, saying she totally spoilt me and was working against the principles she tried to instill...

But, you know, looking back, it's those lovely, impractical things given by my grandmother I remember best; how good those suede boots (suede boots in sleat and snow, my mother nearly had a heart attack:smile:) made me feel and the time I had written her the list of records I loved (this was the time of vinyl, guys, I was 12!) and instead of picking one or two, she bought all the whole list!:yahoo::yahoo: So there you are, I'm afraid I never consider practicality when buying presents, but always try to give something someone would be reluctant to buy for themselves, something they really want, but just can't justify...how about you guys??