Icky puppy problem... don't say I didn't warn you!

bellacherie

Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone have a puppy/dog with anal gland problems?

Bella had tummy troubles a few days after coming home and when we went to the vet last weekend she had to have her glands expressed and the vet said they were infected.

The thing is, her glands seem to be bothering her again already. :sad:

I will call the vet again in the morning, but wondered if anyone else had a similar problem? Any advice?

Oh, yes, with three dogs I've seen everything. One of my dogs had a ruptured anal gland recently. It was her second time....the first time it occurred a couple of years ago.

Your vet can probably express it and give your baby some antibiotics. These things just happen and can be treated. The trick is to get them taken care of quickly, just like you are, b/c they can cause an infection.

Good luck to you and Bella.

awww poor thing! I get Maya glands expressed all the time, as soon as she starts to scoot on the floor...this is exactly what I'm afraid of, her getting an infection. I hope she feels better soon!

I do! Old dog hates having anything in those glands and starts licking and scooting when there is barely anything there. Gross - she used to express them all over the car when she lost her balance. Now that she is always in a crate she is much happier and no nasties.

Just had my shepherd mix in for a rupture this very weekend.....she is on antibiotics and hopefully will not need surgery....

I have a "scooter" to, luckily she prefers the grass.

Its gross, no two ways about it.

One of mine had a problem once, but luckily it was taken care of. They had to lance it and she was on meds.

If your dog has a continuing problem with her glands, they can actually remove them, though obviously that's a last resort.

So that's what the scooting thing means? :confused1: My old roommate's dog did it constantly!

They are trying to empty their anal sacs.....Its where the fluid that they use for self defense or scent marking is prodiced and stored...but the glands can get overfull or impacted in some dogs....

Here is all you need to know, and more....its pretty gross, really.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

But important information, from the dogs point of view, certainly....

Some say scooting can also be a symptom of tapeworms...usually in that case you would see evidence of the worms themselves...

(arent you glad you asked, LOL)

So that's what the scooting thing means? :confused1: My old roommate's dog did it constantly!

I'm not so sure - two of our three beagles have had their anal glands removed (one kept getting infections, the other had them getting full faster and faster and expressing them became more and more painful) but they both still scoot - I think they just like doing it!!

Oh boy. Expressing anal glands is one thing I do not miss about working in the vet office. It is pretty common and if you want, your vet could teach you how to do it at home. Personally, I would pay someone to do it for me.

I went to the vet again for another problem, and he checked her glands. I was surprised he did an internal expression. I think external is the best I could do. I dont think it would hurt as much either?

They are trying to empty their anal sacs.....Its where the fluid that they use for self defense or scent marking is prodiced and stored...but the glands can get overfull or impacted in some dogs....

Here is all you need to know, and more....its pretty gross, really.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

But important information, from the dogs point of view, certainly....

Some say scooting can also be a symptom of tapeworms...usually in that case you would see evidence of the worms themselves...

(arent you glad you asked, LOL)

i was thinking exactly that!!! :sweatdrop: