I want to lose five lbs

1. Ok, so I want to lose five pounds.

Any ideas on how long this should take...without being totally unhealthy?

Any strategies?

2. Well, the absolute most you could lose and still be healthy is 2 lbs. per week. That's generally accepted as not outrageous. Increase your cardio 30-60 minutes 4x/wk, eat clean, drink lots of water and give youself about a month. That should do it :yes:

christine

3. ^ She is right. About a month... give or take... depending on your body and metabolism. You need to do some more aerobic work and make sure you eat 5-6 small meals a day... you can do that no problem!!

4. ^ they are both right. remember when eating to focus on small portions. thats what Jeeny Craig focuses on.small portions and eating every 3 hours in addition to exercise. cut back on sugar, caffeine and drink plenty of water. you will see results, but remember to be patient.and i know, patience is hard to have while trying to loose those stubborn pounds, but its the healthiest way. good luck.

5. WAHH for a measly two pounds a week?? thats nuts.... i can't even run on the threadmill for more then 10 minutes.....

6. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

7. :biggrin: Ill tell you what i did, i lost about 20 lbs and like 4-5 pant sizes!! I walked about 3 miles a day ate a bowl of special k for breakfast, a sub and fruit for lunch and whatever my parents made for dinner! just eat in proportions also! worked for me!

8. Yup, I have been doing that and lost 5 lbs in about a month or a little more. I kinda went off the wagon though:shame: I've been eating out a lot and having pizza.

9. Drink a lot of water, don't eat late

10. OOOOODLES of water and less calories. 5 lbs if you aren't normally dieting will come off easily/quickly, just have to eat fewer calories than usual.
    If you already only eat small portions/few calories/day, then you need to exercise.

disclaimer:
    OBVIOUSLY we need to exercise to be healthy . . . but she only wants 5 lbs off! LOL!

11. Thanks for all of the encouragment guys! You have great tips. A month is not too bad...although I'm only on day two of "dieting" (pretty much just not OVER eating and trying to choose healthier foods) so there is a long stretch ahead:lol:

Christi and Megs made me laugh though w/ the advice to INCREASE cardio by 30-60 minutes four times a week, since I should probably start with actually DOING 30-60 minutes a week:roflmfao: . At this point I do walk about 2-3 miles a day...but it's not the rigorous aerobic work-out that I really should be doing -- just to keep in shape in addition to keeping thin.

Anyway, you guys who are working out are a total inspiration:biggrin:

I've actually rarely really lost weight in a "normal" way -- only when I'm really stressed out and end up not eating anything at all. Then I lose almost too much weight really fast...but that's obviously not healthy or pleasant. I'm eager to feel like I simply have "control" over my size w/o going to any extremes.

12. >>Christi and Megs made me laugh though w/ the advice to INCREASE cardio by 30-60 minutes four times a week, since I should probably start with actually DOING 30-60 minutes a week:roflmfao: . At this point I do walk about 2-3 miles a day...but it's not the rigorous aerobic work-out that I really should be doing -- just to keep in shape in addition to keeping thin.

Hehe, your funny. Yea, actually DOING the cardio is what makes all the difference :p And really, you already are, walking is a great form of cardio, a lot of people don't think of it that way but it is. I walk at least 3 miles a day, either that or I bike (outside) 10 miles. Both these activities take about an hour so there's you 60 min. of cardio right there. Easy right, and let's face it, all of us, no matter how busy we are, has 1 free hour in their day. It all depends on how you choose to spend it. So instead of watching an hour of tv, video games, computer, whatever, just go for a walk. And I mean walk, not stroll, walk like the boutique's about to close and you gotta buy that bag tonight cause tomorrow it'll be gone and you'll never see it again, that kinda walk :lol:

13. I lost 5lb doing Weight Watchers on the 1st week. I don't know if that is the norm, but I was thrilled. Mind you that I did not feel hungry at any point during that week.

14. good tips

15. Brush your teeth a lot -- it kind of kills the impulse to eat.

Sugarless chewing gum.

Water -- and tea without sweeteners. (Peppermint ice tea is good in hot weather)

And the usual -- small portions, low carbs, reduce sugar, exercise