I want a BIG change...making a major decision

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
This thought has been in the back of my mind since I was a little kid, but it's come more to the front within the last few months.

At 28, and on the verge of turning 29, and having finished school totally (getting a Master's) 3.5 years ago...and on top of that, finding myself single when all my friends are either in long term relationships, engaged or married, I think I want to do something for myself, and that would be to move to New York (I'm living in Los Angeles now, where I've lived my whole life). I've only visited, but I love it there and I'm constantly planning my next trip there.

I've saved up some money and plan to continue my current job for about another year or 2 so that I can save some more. My mom is urging me to buy a home (in LA), and of course, this is smart, but I really want to live in NYC, even if it's just temporary. It's just something I want to do and say later on that I did it. I dunno if it's just cuz I'm feeling blue about being single and just want a major change to change that, but I'm starting to feel strongly about it. I've talked to a few friends and my sisters about it, and they're all supportive of me if I choose to move, but it is a major step, and I've never been totally on my own.

I think if you truly want to move to NY you definitely should! Now's the time and if you aren't tied down to where you are currently, then it's perfect. Good luck with whatever you decide :smile: (i love brainy confident guys too! *sigh*)

Go with your gut. I made that same type of decision a while ago, and it changed my life in the most positive way. Listen to your inner voice. If you have that fire in your belly, ACT ON IT!

I assume that you will be quitting your current job. What kind of full time job do you plan to have in NYC? Do you have any friends or relatives there?

I don't plan to leave my job for another year or 2. I have looked online and called a few places, and it looks like I can get the same job for the same pay. In fact, one of the HR people I talked to was disappointed that I wasn't actually moving yet. Of course, I know anything can happen in a year or 2, and I definitely will not move until I find a job first. And I have a few close cousins and a couple of friends there, too.

DO IT!

I was in the same position when I was 28. I was living in Detroit and I didn't see myself going anywhere. I was single too. I was living at home with my parents -- I had never lived on my own. I wanted to move across the country to San Francisco. I only knew 2 people in the Bay Area and I didn't have a job lined up. And my parents did NOT want me to move.

I saved money for a year before I left, knowing that I would need the cash if I couldn't find a job right away. I moved to San Francisco on my 28th birthday (it was my present to me). I had already contacted many recruiters in the area and set up interviews for when I arrived. As luck would have it, I arrived on a Sunday, interviewed for a position on Tuesday, got a job offer on Wednesday and starting working the next Monday.

Follow your dream and your gut ... I've been in SF for 11 years now, and I couldn't be happier.

I have looked online and called a few places, and it looks like I can get the same job for the same pay.

Is the cost of living in NY the same as in LA? I know from visiting that prices in NY are astronomical.

I totally think you should explore the option of moving. If you don't like it, you can always move back, right?

We're thinking of a move too... but we're looking to see what his salary will be like once he's completed his masters. We aren't going to move until that is complete. But that definitely is a consideration, if you're making the same you make in LA depending on how much that is, it might not be able to provide you with the same level of living. Definitely worth looking into though.

Is the cost of living in NY the same as in LA? I know from visiting that prices in NY are astronomical.

^Makes a good point. You should start looking at Craigslist, streeteasy.com, nytimes.com etc., for rentals in Manhattan to see if your pay will cover rent, food, and other expenses. Remember that many rentals in Manhattan require your salary to be at least 50x more than your rent (or around there-not sure.) If you are planning to rent or buy, then you should start looking now.

^Makes a good point. You should start looking at Craigslist, streeteasy.com, nytimes.com etc., for rentals in Manhattan to see if your pay will cover rent, food, and other expenses. Remember that many rentals in Manhattan require your salary to be at least 50x more than your rent (or around there-not sure.) If you are planning to rent or buy, then you should start looking now.

Meaning your ANNUAL salary has to be 50x the MONTHLY rent? That makes sense, but I just want to clarify.

And I do realize that it may be more expensive to live in Manhattan, and I'm willing to make some sacrifices. Like I stated earlier, it may just be a temporary thing. I'd be moving more for the experience.

Meaning your ANNUAL salary has to be 50x the MONTHLY rent? That makes sense, but I just want to clarify.

And I do realize that it may be more expensive to live in Manhattan, and I'm willing to make some sacrifices. Like I stated earlier, it may just be a temporary thing. I'd be moving more for the experience.

If you're moving more for the experience, then I'd say go for it before you get settled down (spouse and kids). I can't tell you how many times I wished I should've traveled and visited different countries or states before settling down with my DH. I graduated college, got a job, met my DH, got married and had 2 kids. Don't get me wrong, I love my life but sometimes I feel that I missed out on a lot of things and now I can't do any of that until my kids are grown. Treat yourself, find out who you are, what you want to be, where you want to be, otherwise you will regret it later in life......

I live in NYC right now and moving here was the best decision I could have made. You will always thank yourself for taking the plunge and seeing what you're really made of, and there's nothing like a cross-country move to do that. Good for you for being thoughtful and planning it out! If you have any questions or need information, feel free to PM me. I've been here for almost 6 years now and I can't believe how fast the time has gone.