I tried the olive oil and now...

Hi,

I just woke up from my nap and reading your problem.
I am sorry to hear about your handles..
I am the one who used it 3 years a go with brand new bag, turned out ok.
By the way, is there any chance you use too much oil??
The key is too use very small amount on the cloth and rub it on the leather evenly after that wipe it off with clean cloth.If you use too much and didn't rub it evenly, big chance the leather pores absorb the oil and end up with uneven patina or even worse the oil just "hanging there"
I don't know if there is any difference between vachetta from mono line and MC line..
I hope everything will turn out ok...
hugs2.gif

sophia_lv1992 said:
here is the after results on my batignolles and speedy so please dont fret! everything will be ok i promise :smile: i know how hard this can be on you:
Picture153.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/sophia29209/Picture150.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/sophia29209/Picture149.jpg

Sophia,

They have nice patina...I have to look back at your collection to see before pics ..very nice..patina evenly.

hey cutiepie21,
i'm veranica's old man(that means west coast biker),and do i know my leather.i've spent over 28 years restoring vintage euro autos!i have even restored facial vegas,talbots,and delehayes with LV interiors!what you have done to your handle can be reversed.it involves mild solvents,and de-greasers.so,it should be preformed by profesionals,that means don't try this at home kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o.k.,let's set the record straight,olive oil was what the italian,and french leather houses recommended for "painted" leather only!!!!!!!!!!!for natural leather they suggested using a hypo-allergenic hand cream(that means no dyes,and /or fragrance)in a small hidden place on the leather being treated,now,this was before the advent of modern chemistry(like 1942,get it?)when i treat fine euro leather, i use the leather creme supplied by connolly leather ltd. in england.it is illegal in the u.s.(the stuff they market here in the u.s. is not the same as what's in the rest of the world!)i buy mine in hong kong sense i'm on the west coast of the u.s..so,if you can't get to hong kong,one might try the creme by brahmin,or products made by zymol,and lexol.i've had great results with all of these,but remember no matter what,try it in a small place first!see,big bad greasy bikers are good for something.(we know our grease and leatha'!)ciao,todd c.e.o. moto66

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm so glad to have this forum. :biggrin: :heart: The handles are looking a little better and I will post an update this weekend to let everyone know how it is going.

Sophia- your patina looks wonderful! Did you use the olive oil on the leather when it did not have a patina?

oh sophia, the pic of you holding the handles shows a gorgeous patina. looks only a slight bit lighter than a bag i've used on and off for over 2 years. I'm too scared to try olive oil on a new bag though.

I've read that saddle soap darkens too, anybody has experience?

LivinLuxuriously said:
My advice on the MC speedy would be to do the lighter handle again with the oil - but I'm no oil expert. I only did it once on a vintage piece to see if it could help the dry leather (and even out the patina). I don't think I'd ever do it on a new piece because it was quite nerve wracking

I read the original thread Livin, and you indeed advocated the use of olive oil and never limited it to used bags -- and you also claim to be an expert re LV. Now, you act suprised that someone took your advice and are trying to avoid responsibility for this possible destruction of a 1700 bag???!!!

I was shocked at the initial suggestion by you, and shocked that some 14 year old was also giving advice on how to care for an LV. Never in my wildest dreams did I suspect someone would actually try it. Especially when others quite properly questioned the wisdom of it.

Liven, you are reckless. And you should stop giving advice to novices who don't know any better.