I think I finally conquered the premier designer disease!

Oops...and to add one more thing...

I remember how great the feeling was when I bought my first LV. Now it's just not there anymore. When you make premier designers an every day thing, there is no excitement anymore, and I miss it :sad:

I totally hear what you are saying, Nchid2700.
I can kinda relate to that too.

It is hard to get really excited about a bag purchase now...unless it is really special...

the problem I have is, I could still get excited about new Chanels and stuff, but I am just not willing to spend that money any more. Not sure if I have come to my senses or what lol...or just seeing that I can set limits here! I don't want to spend 3 or 4 thousand bucks just to get a good feeling, for a while! LOL! What I do is look at the purses I have , and make myself remember the feeling I had when i hunted it down and bought it and how fun it was, etc etc etc, and how exciting. :smile:

The other thing that bugs me is what you all are saying...the maintenance issue...
the more expensive bags I have are very easily ruined! One day I woke up and looked at the bags I wanted to carry and realized they would mostly all get ruined in the weather! How dumb to have beautiful things not to use them if you want! If I ever buy a premier designer again (I have plenty), it's going to be a dark color, and something like caviar leather or saffiano or something durable, lol.

I don't know how I did it but I think I conquered the premier designer disease! In the past, I would not look at non premiere designer bags. If I saw a bag that I thought was just "ho-hum" and I then later found out it was YSL, I suddenly loved it. Conversely, if I saw a bag that looked like a Bottega V. and I thought it was beautiful but once I realized it was Cole Haan, I was like, Eh, Blah! I have been trying to get over this disease of "snobbery" and shallow, designer focused taste. Recently, I found out I am getting a decent bonus from work. When I found out, I started looking for bags by YSL, Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Prada, LV etc around the $1500 mark. I then found out that I owed quite a bit on my income taxes when I was expecting a refund so my budget got cut...by like 75%.:shocked:
I began looking for bags in the $400 or less category (used through Fashionphile, ebay, Ann's Fabulous Finds etc) and realized that while I did find a MJ and LV within that budget, I was actually more attracted to a Michael Kors bag that I found. MK is not a premiere designer but I actually was more attracted to the looks of that bag than to the designer ones that I would have previously preferred. When I was faced with the option of buying 2 bags, one that was only so-so in style but had a BIG designer name on it or a lesser designer bag with HUGE chic style panache, I decided on the Michael Kors. I don't know how I broke free of this "elitist" mindset (and I will admit, that is exactly what it was) to being more true to what I thought was stylish, not about the name on the bag. Have you ever experienced this type of transformation? What situation made you see the error of your ways and bring you back to style rather than name?

I was a normal handbag carrier once upon a time, then I was bitten by the high-end bag bug. I think of it as my personal "dot com" period. I began collecting expensive couture handbags and accessories. It wasn't until I was at the park with my kids that I realized I had a sickness that had to be cured. Not only was I advertising on behalf of a conglomerate that was siphoning my kids' education/trust/rainy day funds, but I was doing it willingly...almost rabidly.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy my bags, but I set a limit on both price and frequency. I now allocate a certain amount per year and I can either blow it on one bag or spread it out. I am a snob no more. I'm also not a walking billboard.

I understand too! Michael Kors makes great quality bags at fantastic price points! I have a few LV bags but always seem to reach for my MK or MbMJ bags because they are worry free and so comfortable to carry. Personally, I go in and out of "premier designer disease"--there are times I love love my LVs but there are also times when I feel guilty about spending so much money on bags and think of them as a lot of money that is wasted and could be put towards better use. I definitely believe that premier designer does necessarily not equal premier quality.

I wish I could do that too. I am a fresh graduate and there is no way I can afford any of that with my minimum pay and I felt like I shouldn't be buying all those LVs and live off my parents. But it is like an addiction and I think about it dream about it everyday and night. it sucks and I don't want to be like this. I tried buying ninewest stuff but they ended up stashed keep in the closet. I felt so helpless sometime and despise myself a little bit. :sad:

I wish I could do that too. I am a fresh graduate and there is no way I can afford any of that with my minimum pay and I felt like I shouldn't be buying all those LVs and live off my parents. But it is like an addiction and I think about it dream about it everyday and night. it sucks and I don't want to be like this. I tried buying ninewest stuff but they ended up stashed keep in the closet. I felt so helpless sometime and despise myself a little bit. :sad:

Instead of spending a little bit here and there on bags you hate, take that same amount of money and put it into a "handbag" savings account. I'll bet if you total up what you spend on inexpensive bags you've settled for, you'll be surprised to find you could actually get one bag you really love.

Or to bend a phrase: "Less is more."

Instead of spending a little bit here and there on bags you hate, take that same amount of money and put it into a "handbag" savings account. I'll bet if you total up what you spend on inexpensive bags you've settled for, you'll be surprised to find you could actually get one bag you really love.

Or to bend a phrase: "Less is more."

Seriously. If you have an emotional reaction to spending thousands on a handbag (easy to do after spending time in a third-world country), start haunting the outlet stores, nordstrom rack, TJ Maxx runway stores, etc. Polyvore always has a way of pulling up the designer bag I'm lusting over and 2-3 mid-level bags that have a very similar design, materials, etc. for far less. :shrugs: Also, I've found that focusing on your overall look, rather than just the handbag, helps. I've seen super-polished, well-maintained, gorgeous glowing chicas with a Coach Kristin hobo on their shoulder, followed by a beautiful girl that no one notices because she is being worn by the massive, awkward-looking, heavy premiere designer bag on her arm. :shrugs: Make the bag compliment you and you'll find it easier to pick bags you'll wear out from ongoing use.

Congrats!! I can't wait when it happens to me...I can't stop myslef yet...Salute to you!!:salute::salute:

I remember how I was using non brand name bag switching to Diesel thinking higher brand = to higher quality...then it began to move higher and higher...now to Hermes...sometimes I do want to step back down...BUT IT'S SOOOOOOO HARD!!!

I recently got two Anthropologie leather bags by "Lucky Penny", and they are very well made and unique bags. I feel great wearing them, got tons of compliments and don't have to baby them that much because of their price. I feel healthier now! :biggrin:

I love all kinds of bags! Designer and non-designer alike! I love my Chanel, Chloe, Hayden Harnett, Rudsak (Canadian brand), Elliott Lucca and others all the same. If I like a bag, it doesn't matter to me. :smile:

yay! congrats!! I think I have the same problem too... trying to overcome it. Alot of my reasoning WAS...when I am paying the premium for the label, paying $400-$500 for a bag for a label that isn't as popular doesn't seem worth it to me. lol If that makes sense. Im sure the quality are all about the same - but yea...recently, I have found myself looking at more options too. good for us!

fashion16 I think this is wonderful!!! I can honestly say that out of all my bags, two are premier designer. They have no disclosure to them and go unnoticed so I did not buy them mainly for their designer name. One is my workhorse Gucci, the other I am contemplating selling due to its sensitivity to the elements. All my others are anywhere from unknowns to Banana Republic.

I do agree with your analysis. There are two schools of thought which keep in mind, fuels the handbag companies! (Big time!) I have a friend who manufacturers fine leather belts right here in the USA and not abroad and while she will travel a few times a year to Italy and France, she will not spend over $600 for a handbag no matter what. She does buy her clothes abroad and they are magnificent but when it comes to fine leathers, she will tell you it is all in the marketing and does not warrant the price it goes for. I have a SIL who will only buy a bag that has a monogram on it, because she has to prove to the world she can afford it. Truth is she can and still has NOT detected that my bag is a Gucci. I bought my Gucci and YSL for their style. It was love over detailing, etc. and not necessarily the name. It's kinda my little secret that no one knows what I am carrying and personally, I like it that way! If I could afford it, I would buy the Hermes Massai. I find that bag simplisticly beautiful! (Also no name whatsoever on the bag!) I guess I am the exception to the rule. I go out of my way to wear bags that are undetectable!

I resonate with this. I love carrying a beautiful high-quality, high-end handbag, caressing the leather, playing with the hardware... But it must be my "private joy", albeit played out in public! As soon as I feel that people identify me as "a woman with a Marc Jacobs" or "a woman with a Mulberry" etc., it makes me feel uncomfortable, sort of an unpaid walking advertisement - as MarinaMama also says in this thread. That's why I don't like brands with very flashy logos, I can't see myself carrying a LV, for example. I enjoy having my most expensive handbags on me where nobody can identify them for what they are, while in places where people notice brands I usually carry strictly practical, no-brand bags.

Ohh poo! And here I was just going to ask you your secret! lol I have a few premier designer bags that I purchased off of eBay at less than $500 each, none of which has logos (the way I like them to be), but recently I find myself drooling over two BV's =.=; so all in all, I have probably gotten worse in the disease...If anything is good from this, it will be that I don't stupidly pull the trigger when I know I really shouldn't. :sweatdrop: But overcoming this urge once and for all someday would be good! Praying for that day to come soon :Push: