I think I am scarf impaired.

OC...I once got a scarf that was so stiff it could stand by itself in the middle of the room. In fact I had to give that thing a good washing about three times before it would drape.......so sometimes you really have to dunk it before the sizing loosens up.

Ok, this is good to know! I decided to rinse it the other day, just cold water/no soap.

The scarf *totally* repelled water. Like, I dunked it and pulled it out of the water and it was totally dry. :confused1: Dunked it again, this time forcing it to stay under with my hand. Still totally dry.

I had to resort to the tiniest amount of Tocca lingerie wash in the end.

This scarf is still really full of body and stiff. Maybe I should take it to the cleaners and see what they can do.

Thanks!!

ocmommy - have you tried your scarves in your hair?

Around your head a'la Jackie O?

Um.... pirate style (seriously - my fave)?

I don't wear them around my neck at all - or very rarely. The only way I can wear a scarf 'round my neck is tied like a tie so I can keep the bulk away from my neck (which unfortunately is not the swan-like of many here).

Are you brave enough to try a few ways and post pics so we can appraise? :smile:

OC......try warm water with a little gentle suds....dunk and hold down and swish around. Let it soak 5 minutes or there-abouts. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse......Squish water out (don't wring) and roll in clean towel to get the excess water out. I then drape it over a dry towel hanging over the shower rod and let air ALMOST dry. Press it with an iron on medium or on it's "silk" notch. It should be nice and drapey then......

OC......try warm water with a little gentle suds....dunk and hold down and swish around. Let it soak 5 minutes or there-abouts. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse......Squish water out (don't wring) and roll in clean towel to get the excess water out. I then drape it over a dry towel hanging over the shower rod and let air ALMOST dry. Press it with an iron on medium or on it's "silk" notch. It should be nice and drapey then......

Totally agree S'Mom!! :tup: This is how I deal with my starchy scarves...

I just can't deal with 'em when they are stiff. :Push:

OCMommy, give it another try...you'll get there! :okay:

I can't wait to try to UN-starch one of my favorite scarfs. It was my first Hermes and I bought it on my first trip to Paris 4 years ago. It has always been SO stiff that I end up not wearing very often. I have errands to do this afternoon, but when I get home, that baby is getting a bath!!! Thanks SO much for the directions on how to do this!!!

Another option is a scarf ring. Hermes sells them. All you need to do is thread the scarf through the ring (the book that comes with the scarves shows you how to do it).
I don't have one but intend to buy one.

ocmommy, I sympathise with you!!
I have the same problem with some of my scarves.
I have a short neck , and for some reason some of the scarves are really stiff, and I just cant get them to look right.
Keep trying though, and perhaps after a couple of washes, it will soften up a bit.