I really need advice.

1. #16 Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    I have a somewhat different opinion (not about the for-profit online schools - absolutely stay away) because you seem to be looking at this as an either-or situation. I think you should concentrate for now on finding whatever full-time job that you can (especially if you can find something with benefits). There have to be other options for after-school care - perhaps a college student that could pick up the kids and watch them for a few hours a day.

Everyone and their brother is going back to school right now, but graduates are having a hard time finding work as well. Being a single mom with young kids, you're not in a situation where you have the luxury of winging it like a 19-year-old (I don't mean that unkindly, just matter-of-factly). Living on loans for four years (especially if they are truly covering living expenses and not just coursework) is a recipe for financial disaster when you have to start paying the piper. I don't agree with everything Suze Orman says, but student loans are a major crisis right now and over the past few months many of her shows have focused on it. You have also already tried college one way and "hated it". It just may not be a good fit for you, so putting all of your eggs in that basket may not be the best solution.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue a degree, I just think it should be part-time or exploratory in the near term. You need a real gameplan, being fairly certainty about what you want to do and the opportunities there would be, and reasonable knowledge about what qualifications you would need to do that work. "Computer Technology" covers an extremely broad range of careers. Look at job postings to see the requirements and do as much research as you possibly can before locking yourself in.

Edit - I don't have a lot of posts but I'm on the forums every day (I just rarely take the time to comment). I really do mean all of this kindly and I apologize if it sounds very direct since I haven't established a "tone" here like other posters. Although I haven't been in your situation, I can tell that you're in a difficult place. I do wish you all the best.
  2. :goodpost:
  3. I just saw this and thought of you OP. I'm still wary of for-profit colleges and universities, but there are also legit online schools.

(c) 2012, USA Today. Visit USA Today online at www.usatoday.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services.
  4. "Most of the top ones are accredited by the same organizations that certify traditional teacher education programs."

One size does not fit all when it comes to online colleges, I thought accreditation matters most. They aren't all accredited the same way and employers know this. My manager discussed this once in a meeting. I have to admit I wouldn't sign up for University of Phoenix. I need a brick and mortar school that also offers online courses. Or maybe they do this too? IDK I've just seen commercials.