I quit smoking and I'm scared...

1. Well today is the day, I decided to quit, I told my hubby I needed his support more than ever, meaning if he lights up, go the hell outside:nuts:

I quit before cold turkey twice for like 6 months but when something major happened I would start up again, anyway I saw the movie with Julia Roberts taking care of a guy with cancer and the violent reaction to cemo and it just shook me up, all I thought about was if I get cancer who is going to look after my kids. Plus I want to live, I want to have more energy, eat healthier and I don't want to look older than I am.

Well I just hope I could do it this time, it kind of happened on it's own, I just started getting turned off. I would light a cig take two puffs and put it out, what sense does that make. Anyway I'm scared it wont last this time because over the years my habit became stronger, before smoking use to make me feel nausious then I would start coughing that made it easy to quit but that eventually went away. Anyway I need you guys support. I already started chewing gum whenever I felt ichy for one. Like right now it's killing me cuz I normally smoke while I'm on the internet because I'm sitting still or I do it out of boredom so I'm going to try to stay busy, I guess I will clean the house:nuts:Any tips would be appreciated. This is the first step toward a new me. I'm contemplating on cutting my hair also but I'm going to put more thought into that. :upsidedown:
  2. I believe you simply must incorporate exercise into your smoking cessation program. Even if it is a walk in the morning and/or evening it will help the cravings. Good luck.
  3. wow BagFreak, I applaud you! It's not an easy thing to do (from what I've heard) and you will thank yourself for it in the future. Just think- your clothes and bags instantly go up in resale value because they don't have that smoky smell!
  4. Good for you, BagFreak! You can do it! :yahoo:
  5. Good for you for quitting! Irishgal's suggestion was good, and I see you have started using gum (another good suggestion) The longer you go, the easier it gets (I know first hand!) Your hubby should quit, too! It is the best gift you can give your kids. In 7 years, your risk of getting lung cancer goes back to that of a non-smoker (that's how long it takes the cells lining your lungs to completely replace themselves.) But if DH is smoking in the house, not only you, but your kids, too, are breathing in the second-hand smoke and run a higher risk of lung cancer. Something to think about....

Good luck! Stay with it!:yes:
  6. YOU CAN DO IT, Bag!!!
  7. Well done!!!! I wish I could quit for good (I'm now down to about 1 a day which is a huge improvement but I should really QUIT!)

Would you consider going on the nicotine gum?

I find that exercise really helps too - when i started doing cardio (running) and found that my lung capcity was crap and I could barely breathe, it really helped me cut down. Maybe when you feel like a ciggie, go for a run or walk around the house?

Apparently there is this really good book which helps you quit smoking and its worked for many ppl, I'll go check to see if I can find the link.

Good luck!!!
  8. Hey Bagfreak!

I used to smoke but after I found out I was pregnant, I quitted immediately. I thought it was going to be tough ( I have been smoking for 10 years, with a pack a day) but just thinking about having a healthy baby kept me going. And now, my son is 11 mths old and I haven't smoke a stick! :yahoo: Though my hubby is still smoking and sometimes I am really tempted. Seriously, exercise does help! Whenever I feel stressed after a day's work, I will go for a run. With determination, I am sure you will quit for good!
  9. Congratulations on your huge decision. Be strong. I quit a few years ago after smoking for about 15 years. It isn't as hard as you think it is. You just have to get past the first 2 weeks. I cryed it seems like every time I wanted a cigarette (which was constantly), but I kept telling myself I couldn't start again, because I could never quit again. And I don't want to be one of those old ladies smoking and coughing and getting that horrible smokers voice. Aside from the obvious health reasons, I constantly thought about other hugh vain drawbacks to smoking, i.e., bad breath, yellowing teeth, premature lines around lips, and etc.

It will be the hardest thing you ever do, but do it this time. Chew gum, read, try to keep your mind off them. Tell everyone, this way you won't be apt to start again quickly.

If you husband or other smokes, try to convince them to stop with you. If not, tell them they can't smoke in your presence. Your just not strong enough to watch people smoking.

I wish you the best of luck, but again I loved smoking, and I was able to quit cold turkey, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. (I never thought I would be able to do it). But I did and so can you.
  10. Congratulations! I was thinking you should have a motive ( besides the obvious). For example buy a handbag you really love and give it to your DH and if at the end of the return period you are still nots smoking keep, otherwise you take it back! Just an idea!!!!!!!!
  11. Good on you!:yes: YOU CAN DO IT!!! I cannot give you advice cos I never smoke but my DH quit years ago.....for him is pure determination. Stay strong;) :heart:
  12. Good for you for quitting! I know you can do it!
  13. Good luck Bag Freak...I know that when you quit one addiction it usually helps to add a new healthier addiction to take it's place. As other's have said exercise is great. Journaling may also help, or organizing things in your life that may not be the way you would like them to be.

Hang in there!
  14. Congratulations! This in one of the best things you could ever do for yourself. Just imagine how much more $ you'll have for bags. ;o) I quit a 2 pack a day habit 5 years ago, and I've never been healthier in my life. I would get a pack of the nicotine gum, if you feel a really bad craving coming on. It really helped me, alot. I also ate a lot of cough drops. (I know, weird, but it helped) Good luck, and if you need moral support, we're all here for you!
  15. I would suggest finding something to do with your hands when you get bored and get tempted to smoke. Perhaps you could take up a new hobby like knitting or crochet? Hang in there. Just keep telling yourself that that one little cigarette isn't worth a life of health problems. Good luck!