I never wear my second pair of pearl studs!

1. When I was 18 (I'm 26 now), three separate relatives gave me white pearl studs for graduation. My father gave me Mikimoto ones; two aunt/uncle couples gave me others. My dad dealt with the situation by nicely telling one of the couples that I had gotten three and would they mind if we exchanged them, and then telling me to keep the other ones and wear them as my "everyday" studs, with the Mikimoto studs being for special occasions.

Fast forward eight years. I have worn the Mikimoto studs countless times, while the others sit in my jewelry box. I have worn the second pair a handful of times out of guilt. It's not that I'm not grateful for my aunt and uncle's very sweet gift but it's hard to convince myself to wear them when they are sitting in my box right next to a pair that is visibly of superior quality.

What to do? Sell them? Give them away? Resolve to wear them more? Help please.
  2. I, too, would want to wear the nicer ones. Especailly when you can see the two together and really see the difference in quality. I would find some young girl who would love a pair of pearl earrings of her won, and give them to her. That way, the love in the gift will go to another person. If I were the person who gave them to you, I would understand. (but maybe don't mention it unless asked.)
  3. Alright, alright...I will help you out here...you can give them to me:graucho: ! Seriously though, if you do not have any special attachment to them, I would give them away or sell them. Good luck.
  4. Thank you, that is a great idea (and makes me not feel as bad.) :yes:
  5. Update: I just googled "donate jewelry" out of curiosity and found an animal rescue organization in Oregon that has a semi-annual jewelry sale and accepts jewelry donations! I am so excited, because my husband and I are huge animal lovers (we actually volunteer at a shelter here) and if there was one cause I could have picked to donate to, this would definitely be it. :yahoo: So I'm sending the studs, along with a lot of costume jewelry I recently cleaned out, over there. They accept fine and costume alike!

I just thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for something to do with unwanted jewelry. Their next sale is November 18!

Indigo Rescue
  6. What a great find! And a great way to pass the love on! good for you! thanks for posting the website, too.
  7. That is a great idea! I also have many pieces of jewelry that I don't wear. Great cause, thank you so much for posting. Your pearls will be in great hands or ears! : )
  8. What an awesome idea! I am a huge animal lover myself, so kudos to you!