I need your advise please for my first Chanel bag!

1. Hi everyone! I normally post on the other designer threads and relatively new to Chanel. Lately, I have been reading the threads at the Chanel forum for reference. I have some Chanel items, but no bag yet! :shame:

I'm thinking of buying my first Chanel bag and I really like the classic flap in medium size. :nuts: I have been twice to the Chanel boutique this week trying on the bags, and this is the style that I really like. I also like how you can adjust the straps.

Now, I'm a bit indecisive on the color and hardware. So far, I've seen black, red, beige, dark blue and gray. I've also seen the caviar, lambskin and another type in which the leather has little "holes" and below it is another color leather (at the boutique today, the bag was black but underneath the "holes" was silver).

I'm leaning towards the beige color .. maybe with gold hardware. But what other colors do the bag come in? Also, since it's a lot of hardware, does it tarnish overtime? Does the gold color stay? Does the lambskin scratch easily? At the boutique, they didn't have the beige in different leathers available. Does beige look better with caviar or lambskin?

Thank you all for your help. :yes:

2. Hi La Van - Love your Hermes in Action posts! Did you decide on what you wanted? I know this is late, but will respond anyway....

Here are my inputs, if you still care :p . I have 6 Chanel handbags. 4 of the 6 are classic flaps (2 jumbo--denim blue and black, 1 medium--black, 1 small--black). I have only 1 lambskin and it's the small flap.

The lambskin is very easily scratched, especially by finger nails :yucky: and looks more formal. Personally, I love caviar. I don't have too many formal occasions, so this works out alright. If you love lambskin, I'd recommend having one classic in lambskin for fancy occasion.

As for colors if you're just wanting one or 2, then the classic colors like black or beige are timeless. I am not sure what other colors are available now, but red is always hot:yahoo:

Hardware? Back in the days, the gold was really yellow and the gold chain does have staying power. I haven't used the ones with the new mellow gold tone much, so don't know if it will tarnish any faster or not. As for the silver, I have only recently gotten those, so, again, don't know if it tarnishes either (or any faster or slower). I suspect they should remain true to color for the prices they charged.

You can't go wrong w/ classic flaps.

Sorry for the long post. FWIW, hope this helps.

3. Hi, I'm also new to Chanel and is considering getting the east west in Black lambskin. I would like to check with those who have ew on whether this bag can be carried 3 ways, i.e clutch, shoulder and sling? Can someone tell me the length of the chain? As I'm very petite, i hope that when I carry the bag, it'll be somewhere near my armpit, not at my waist. Another question is, since it's single strap, is it possible to make it into double strap? Is the hole big enough for the chain to go through another round? TIA!

4. Hi La Van - Love your Hermes in Action posts! Did you decide on what you wanted? I know this is late, but will respond anyway....

Here are my inputs, if you still care :p . I have 6 Chanel handbags. 4 of the 6 are classic flaps (2 jumbo--denim blue and black, 1 medium--black, 1 small--black). I have only 1 lambskin and it's the small flap.

The lambskin is very easily scratched, especially by finger nails :yucky: and looks more formal. Personally, I love caviar. I don't have too many formal occasions, so this works out alright. If you love lambskin, I'd recommend having one classic in lambskin for fancy occasion.

As for colors if you're just wanting one or 2, then the classic colors like black or beige are timeless. I am not sure what other colors are available now, but red is always hot:yahoo:

Hardware? Back in the days, the gold was really yellow and the gold chain does have staying power. I haven't used the ones with the new mellow gold tone much, so don't know if it will tarnish any faster or not. As for the silver, I have only recently gotten those, so, again, don't know if it tarnishes either (or any faster or slower). I suspect they should remain true to color for the prices they charged.

You can't go wrong w/ classic flaps.

Sorry for the long post. FWIW, hope this helps.

5. La Van - YAY you're going to get your first Chanel, I am SO excited for you!! :yahoo: The lambskin is utterly gorgeous, but rather fragile and does scratch easily, especially on the classic flaps. You cannot go wrong with beige as your "gateway" Chanel, it's such a classic and will surely last you a lifetime. As for hardware, I'm quite sure that if you are not careless with your purses, the chain shouldn't tarnish. I can't WAIT to see what you get...that would mean you'd post more in this forum and I ALWAYS love reading what you write and seeing what you wear!! :heart:

6. Hello La Van,

Chopin has given you some good advice already. I just wanted to welcome you to the Chanel subforum.:smile:

I don't know which colors are still available on the shelves, but black and some variation on white (cream, beige, off white) is always available. Red caviar will not be available in the medium size (not that I have been able to locate anyway) but will be available in Jumbo and E/W for S/S 2007. Dark grey is also available for S/S 2007 - but not sure about what sizes are available. I'm sure new colors will be introduced for pre-fall and/or fall.

Best of luck and let us know what you finally decide.:yes:

7. I prefer beige and black with gold hardware and red and grey and white with silver hardware. I like the size of medium classic but it's heavy because extra flap and does not hold much.

8. I lurk in the Hermes in Action threads as well, and you always look fabulous La Van! :smile: I think for a first Chanel, black or beige, or even light beige is perfect... I would also suggest caviar leather, because unless you baby your bags, lambskin is more fragile, and can show wear more easily (especially on a lighter colored bag). I personally love the medium classic size, but the jumbo is also very nice as more of a daytime bag (which can go into evening)... but I use mine more during the day. I like black with silver h/w (modern looking), but if you wear more gold jewelry, then maybe you might prefer gold h/w. I think beige looks best with gold h/w as well, and my light beige jumbo has silver h/w (the light beige is a creamy color which I think the silver offsets nicely). I would also suggest that you don't get the new chain, because it's not as classic IMO as the leather interwoven through the straps, which Chanel is known for! Good luck, and happy Chanel bag shopping! :smile:

-Minal

9. Welcome to world of Chanel! If you decide to get lambskin, beige is very hard to take care of. It will show wear quickly. Beige caviar is a better choice, IMO. But if you want an indestrucible bag, then I would choose black caviar. It will last forever. If I had to pick only one color, I would pick black.