I need help listing an item! Should I set a reserve?

VenetiaWanter

Dec 28, 2006
I am selling my first "expensive" item. I am not sure whether I should set a reserve on it though?
Do you find buyers don't go for it if it's got a reserve price set? Or do you think it doesn't matter?
TIA

Hi, VW

I think you could do it either way: i.e. start the bidding low but set yourself a reserve so you don't give away the expensive item or start the bidding at a price which you would accept for the bag. See what other members say, but I would guess that you might get more bids on the former option since it can be fun to bid up an item to see what its reserve is. I would, though, always set a reserve.

I'm one of those risky sellers who lists everything at 99p regardless of value. I've yet to be disappointed with what my auctions achieve and it saves me a fortune on eBay fees.

And yes I've sold high end items including a Chloe Paddington and a couple of Mulberry bags as well as designer shoes and clothes.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with though. I used to list my items at the price I hoped to achieve after doing research and ascertaining what was a reasonable price to expect. Being realistic with your pricing is vital, all too often I see sellers attempting to achieve full retail on used items

People can still bid up if you start low. Sometimes i think people enjoy looking to reach the reserve price. I have in the past not set a reserve and hoped for the best and been horribly disappointed. Other sellers start at 99p, $2 in American, and go to fantastic prices....its not a simple science....if you dont set a reserve, please bear in mind, you might not reach a price fair to you and you will have to go through with the transaction...

I'm one of those risky sellers who lists everything at 99p regardless of value. I've yet to be disappointed with what my auctions achieve and it saves me a fortune on eBay fees.

And yes I've sold high end items including a Chloe Paddington and a couple of Mulberry bags as well as designer shoes and clothes.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with though. I used to list my items at the price I hoped to achieve after doing research and ascertaining what was a reasonable price to expect. Being realistic with your pricing is vital, all too often I see sellers attempting to achieve full retail on used items
You might have to PM me your ebay name. I like sellers who start at 99p and sell authetic gear :woohoo:

I am selling my first "expensive" item. I am not sure whether I should set a reserve on it though?
Do you find buyers don't go for it if it's got a reserve price set? Or do you think it doesn't matter?
TIA

I would like to point out two things this week, things are selling lower/good buyer deals with this strike that I have seen.

And what is your rating/and paypal protection at this point?

If you don't offer enough protection to cover your item then people sometimes I have seen don't bid, I don't when it is a HIGH item and the seller is not covered.

If this was the case I would post it with confidence and post it starting at what you really want...as the low and what you know the market is for the item you are selling as a BIN. I am big on current market value, as it is not free to sell on ebay. The reserve thing also stops some people, me in particular as I am not into the game I just move on. There is alway more. Also, have you considered a best offer? That is another catch 22 in my book as sometimes people use it as an opportunity to low ball.

i only have a rating of 22...is that bad? I accept a few different payment options, paypal, money orders etc, and I only ship recorded or signed for.

Your rating is not bad that is not what I mean, but until you hit a feedback of 50 you do not have the $2,000 in buyer protection currently you offer a buyer $200.00 in protection through paypal payments. I think that holds people back from bidding on higher ticket items. Just my thoughts...........so....................I would consider that when pricing your auction.

Reserve = Buyer turn off most of the time...

With my STRONG feedback, I never hesitate to list my items at $0.99/no reserve. With feedback such as yours (under 50), I would at least start with $20 or so dollars under the minimum amount you are HOPING to get, without setting a reserve.

Just remember: be realistic. Have fun. You might lose a few dollars here and there, but as your feedback grows, so will your $$$.

Reserve = Buyer turn off most of the time...

ITA. I don't want to guess what the seller's minimum price is. I pretty much ignore auctions with a reserve. If your starting price is reasonable and your item is desirable, you will probably get some nibbles.