I need a new cookbook

1. I love to read and re-read my cookbooks to get dinner insiprations. However, my Betty Crocker cookbook that I got as a wedding gift in 1990 is losing it's allure. I'm looking for a cookbook with a wide variety of foods and food from breakfast to dinner. Anyone have a favorite that you find is worth its weight in gold? I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

2. My suggestion is not a book, but an online subscription of magazine rather. You should definitely check out Cooks Illustrated. Pay one year of subscription and you get ALL previous years and this year's recipes at your fingertips. They have a 14-day trial so I highly recommend you to check them out.

3. I agree with mcmug17 about Cooks Illustrated. I love their magazine itself and now am considering to subscribe the online site too.
    As far as cookbook, I like those from Cooking Light.

4. I like Cook's Illustrated - they also have a series of recipe books called "America's Test Kitchen" or something like that. I also liked The Silver Palate Cookbook - there are many good recipes in there. Also, why don't you browse the recipes at http://www.epicurious.com/? They have recipes from Bon Appetit and Gourmet.

5. I've never heard of Cooks Illustrated-- I'll have to check it out.

I use Joy of Cooking, Betty Crocker and my Martha Stewart cookbooks most. The others I rarely use. I learned a lot from Alton Brown's books, but they're not very "fun" because emphasis is more on technique than actual recipes.

6. Feast by Nigella Lawson is a fabulous book.

7. i recommend the all-new complete cooking light cookbook. its 560 pages (a bit overwhelming, you need to read it a few times) but it covers EVERYTHING and all the recipes are healthy (or healthier versions of bad ones). i obviously bought it for the cover...

[​IMG]

8. Thanks for all the great ideas, you guys. I'll check out the cooks illustrated and I'm for sure going to get that Cooking Light cookbook. Bagaholic85, I agree with you about the cover photo! The convenience of on-line recipes sounds nice, but I still love to have an actual book to browse through. Thanks y'all!

9. I cook pretty much every night and hardly use any of the books I own...

www.epicurious.com basically has most of the recipes from all the Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines, and is my favorite website. People rate the recipes with their own suggestions. You can pretty much find anything here, and the recipes are TDF!! And it's all free.

www.foodtv.com has the recipes from Giada de Laurentis, Emeril lagasse, Alton Brown, Paula Dean, and a whole bunch of people. Fabulous also.

www.allrecipes.com is OK. Lots of home-grown family recipes, but I didn't find it to be as great as that of the two websites above

www.chinesefood.about.com (easy chinese recipes)

I do like pictures, too, so I subscribe to Gourmet magazine.

10. Florasun and bonniec: thanks so much for the epicurious site. I just clicked on it to check it out and I'll def. be going back to that when I have time to browse it. I love anything that's free!

11. I go back and forth with cookbooks and online stuff. I find that I really need a picture, or to have seen it cooked once to see if I'm doing it right or if it looks appealing as much as it sounds appealing. I just get turned off by text only.

I have a nice little collection and I just trimmed recently and will trim again soon (as I have too many baking books), but I love the illustrated ones the best.

What I have done though since I was getting overwhelmed by all the printed out recipes and ones pulled from Gourmet magazine of which I had one year free subscription, is I made a binder of recipes I use or plan to use (not everything in the magazines, just the appealing ones). I have an index of where it can be found inside and then I have slip pouches of recipes with a label on the outside saying which recipes are in which sleeve (it's a cross between a photo book and a presentation notebook - 8x11 sleeves). I have one binder for desserts and one for everything else. I go to that almost exclusively.

Eventually, when I have time! Ha! I will go through my few cookbooks that I keep just for one or two recipes and photocopy this and then sell the book. It's so silly to keep an entire cookbook for one or two recipes!

12. mcmug17, I am going to try the trial membership to cooks illustrated. How come every cooking website I click on is causing my stomach to growl?!

13. berryblondeboys: You are much more organized than I'll ever be! Wow, you even made a binder? I'm hiding my head in shame over the recipe box I have thrown all mine into. Good idea, though, if I could ever manage to do it!!

14. Any of the American Heart Association cookbooks are great! I use them all the time. The recipes are nutritionally balanced and honestly taste like food made with ahigher fat and salt content.